What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

beave

Coach
You might find that the Knights heritage jersey having different sleeves to the original version might have something to do with copyright infringements with the original design (i cant rember who did those 1997 ones for newy). Its the same for NQ, the original Canterbury 1995 cows jersey had an extra grey stripe on the body and sleeves compared to next years ISC version. I still f**king love it though!!!

Back on the knights, shame this years heritage jersey has been dropped, that jersey is amazing IMO, f**k knows why they won't use it fulltime.

The Knights jumpers are a HUGE improvement on their recent efforts. Perhaps down the line they can replace the current home strip with this year's heritage jumper (with the correct sleeves though), and have the "Henny Penny" jumper as their heritage (or visa versa).

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Newcastle 2012:

Heritage (L & R), Home (middle)

00015156-image.jpg

Away:

AwayJerseyMain.png

Oh im gettin me one of those heritage jerseys.

Why did they ever change from the stripes anyway?

LeagueNut

First Grade
All this talk about home, away, main and alternate jerseys does my head in.

If the NRL (or whoever decides these things) had juristiction over International games then either the Kiwis or the Kangaroos would have to come up with an alternate jumper for their games against each other. But they don't, so both teams run out in pretty dark strips, and the world doesn't come to an end.

I'd prefer the NRL and the clubs were just honest with their money-grabbing motives for multiple jersey designs instead of making up reasons to justify them.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I love the 4 jerseys that most clubs have. Gives you an option to get something a little different. Just a pity the sponsors change so often.

I love the 4 jerseys that most clubs have. Gives you an option to get something a little different. Just a pity the sponsors change so often.

I would buy more Dragons alternate jumpers (except the away, would feel wrong wearing a Steelers jumper), but Reebok doesn't do authentic jumpers outside of the home + away strip. 2011 Charity Shield + Heritage Round supporters jumpers were not the same as the on-field jumper.

roofromoz

First Grade
So we're basically going to have 2 jerseys (heritage and alternate) that look fairly identical. Interesting.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Doesn't the alternate jersey just have a few stripes across the chest, rather than going from the chest all the way down?

sheepbender

Juniors
In Formula 1, Lotus were sponsored by Gold Leaf tobacco from 1968-71 and so their cars sported red and gold livery. Then from 1972-86, John Player Special were their major sponsor and the cars were all black with gold writing on them. Those cars looked awesome, especially when a certain Brazilian driver with a bright yellow helmet was at the wheel ;-) Then from 1987-90 Camel took over and the cars were yellow with blue font on them.

Likewise, McLaren had Marlboro as their major sponsor from 1974-96 and the cars had the same pattern and colours as the cigarette packs. Then in 1997 West became their major sponsor and so the cars became black, red and silver.

Other teams to change their colours in accordance with sponsors include Williams, Red Bull (der!) and the (now defunct) BAR team.

I really dont think Cars/Motorsport count, sponsors play a bigger part in the livery

Von

Juniors
Big fan of the Knights heritage.

Their away jersey is also good.

Their home jersey is the least appealing...IMHO.

Does the Penrith heritage jumper come with a Brandy Alexander... :sarcasm:

But for Penrith fans I have to ask, why has no-one kicked up a stink about your jumpers. The 2011 heritage jersey I think is one of the best jerseys in Rugby League. Your possible 2012 jumper isn't far behind. Outside of the "hybrid" jumper you won the 2003 GF with, why do you persist with bad designs? If Phil Gould goes onto various Ch. 9 shows spruiking the Pink Panthers jumper as a possible away jersey, why can't you guys get together and unite behind one of the better RL jumpers in the market?

P.S. Please don't use marketing as an excuse, St. George, Souths, and Easts can get away with never changing their jumper then so can anyone.

Panfas

Juniors
Me thinks the Knights will play more than one game in the heritage jersey. That is one way to get around the 3 year home jersey rule. Simply play more games in the heritage

roofromoz

First Grade
Doesn't the alternate jersey just have a few stripes across the chest, rather than going from the chest all the way down?

They kind of look the same in terms of the number of hoops, but the white ribbon / away has fainter grey strips further down:

3rd%20jersey2.jpg

There are differences in terms of no hoops on the sleeves and also the colour scheme.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade

But for Penrith fans I have to ask, why has no-one kicked up a stink about your jumpers. The 2011 heritage jersey I think is one of the best jerseys in Rugby League. Your possible 2012 jumper isn't far behind. Outside of the "hybrid" jumper you won the 2003 GF with, why do you persist with bad designs? If Phil Gould goes onto various Ch. 9 shows spruiking the Pink Panthers jumper as a possible away jersey, why can't you guys get together and unite behind one of the better RL jumpers in the market?

P.S. Please don't use marketing as an excuse, St. George, Souths, and Easts can get away with never changing their jumper then so can anyone.

I still see the 2003 jersey as one of our best ever (and not just because we won a comp with it) - I just love the simplicity of it. It was a jersey that we could have built an idenity in the long term. I wasn't really a fan of the follow up jersey for 2004-2007 (with the chevrons on the sides), but I think we started to get back to something with the next jersey in 2008 (black and silver with the teal and rust red trimming), and the current jersey is an evolution of that. What is encouraging is that I have heard talk from the club about an intent to keep this design as a long term one... here's hoping! But I would love to see the 2003 strip one day return as a heritage strip or even better yet as the home / main strip.

betcats

Referee

Plenty of people kick up a stink.

Status
Not open for further replies.