What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah thats the one.

Also a little similar to the 2003-04 away jumper.

This one as modelled by the pie eater himself... Owen Craigie?

Craigie%2cO%203033151_225674_p.jpg

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
That Warriors jersey is glorious.

That said the number of different strips each team is ending up with (and changing them each season) is really getting out of hand.

Frailty

First Grade
Is anyone else annoyed that Souths are the only club allowed to have a virtually identical home and away jersey?

LineBall

Juniors
Is anyone else annoyed that Souths are the only club allowed to have a virtually identical home and away jersey?

Personally I'm not annoyed but happy to see this. I would rather the clubs have the same jersey for all games, home and away - unless their is a legitimate similarity in jersey colours - so in effect, they have an alternate jersey, that maybe only needed a couple of times per year.

Danish

Referee
Seriously, once again.. Someone seems to think Vodafone has a say on the teams colours, its a coincidence!!! Hell its not even a coincidence, cos like I said, Warriors have had Red in their colours before, and before Vodafone even sponsored them..

Someone name me a team of any sport thats major sponsor has dictated their colours??

Red Bull owns a team in the MLS in the states, so naturally their colours are red bull's.

Thats the only one I really know of

Frailty

First Grade
But do you think other clubs would 'get away with it'?

I see it as the NRL stipulating rules for all clubs except for souths.

beagle

Juniors
Seriously, once again.. Someone seems to think Vodafone has a say on the teams colours, its a coincidence!!! Hell its not even a coincidence, cos like I said, Warriors have had Red in their colours before, and before Vodafone even sponsored them..

Someone name me a team of any sport thats major sponsor has dictated their colours??

It's not recent, but Manly added red and blue stripes to their jersey when Pepsi was the sponsor in the mid 90's. Red and blue had never been in Manly's colours.

lg_retro%20manly%201996.jpg

Last edited:

LineBall

Juniors

Can anyone clarify whether the NRL says clubs definitely need a 'home and away' jersey, or whether they just need an alternate in case of colour similarities?

If it is the latter, then you could ask why do clubs wear an alternate jersey when their is no colour clash?

Zigwaa

Bench

To my knowledge there is no rule saying clubs are required to have a home strip and an away strip. Club can have one jersey they were all the time except for when there are perceived jersey clashes where the "alternate" jersey is worn.

South's reason for the Home and Away jersey's is because we have a home sponsor and an away sponsor. Not because the NRL required us to.

Spitty

Juniors

Any club in the NRL can have virtually identical home and away jerseys is they wanted. As long as at least on of them doesn't clash with every other team.

Souths are fortunate that there's only one other team in the comp that wear's green and Dragons away jersey is only jersey in the comp that's majority red, so they very rarely clash with anyone.

Having said that though, the NRL are getting stricter all the time on colour clashes. I wouldn't be surprised if Souths have to wear the alternate jersey, away to Manly and maybe even away to Dragons (if Dragons wear the steelers jersey again, like they did last year).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why? We should wear our alternate against them if they're at home.

If the rabbitohs were smart they'd ditch the panels altogether and just have the cardinal and Myrtle* hoops**.
They can still alternate sponsors, which is a good idea.

* Souths posh way of saying red and green.

** Not stripes, hoops.
If you wear your alternate (black jersey & shorts) against their home strip (black panels and shorts), then they're going to rule a clash.

It was Panasonic's choice not to take over the sponsorship though. Love the apologetic nature for the the Panthers management's ineptitude...
Sanyo were actually disappointed they couldn't continue the sponsorship. IDGAS about the Panthers, but I know for a fact that the sponsorship could not continue - Panasonic don't have a legal obligation to assume existing sponsorships of newly purchased companies...
It's not recent, but Manly added red and blue stripes to their jersey when Pepsi was the sponsor in the mid 90's. Red and blue had never been in Manly's colours.

lg_retro%20manly%201996.jpg

Balmain did a similar thing that year, the purple from MLC making its way onto their jersey the year they renamed as Sydney Tigers.
Any club in the NRL can have virtually identical home and away jerseys is they wanted. As long as at least on of them doesn't clash with every other team.

Souths are fortunate that there's only one other team in the comp that wear's green and Dragons away jersey is only jersey in the comp that's majority red, so they very rarely clash with anyone.

Having said that though, the NRL are getting stricter all the time on colour clashes. I wouldn't be surprised if Souths have to wear the alternate jersey, away to Manly and maybe even away to Dragons (if Dragons wear the steelers jersey again, like they did last year).
The key difference between Souths' jerseys isn't just the panels - they wear the shorts by which ever colour the panel is - black or white - which provides a much greater contrast.

Timmah

Staff member
Newcastle 2012:

Heritage (L & R), Home (middle)

00015156-image.jpg

Away:

AwayJerseyMain.png

Frailty

First Grade
I love the away jersey...

The heritage... No so much. I loved the original striped jersey but the way it hits the sleeves just doesn't seem right.

Timmah

Staff member
The blue arching point on the jersey on the right seems to go higher than the one on Mullen on the left. Weird.

Looks good, no doubt many (uneducated) will suggest the Knights are copying the Jets.

The downside to all this is no "Henny-Penny" jersey in 2012.

Saint Doc

Coach
I don't know if it's just the NIB sponsor, or the weird collars, or the sleeves of the heritage...but overall those knights jerseys just seem wrong.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Prefer last year's heritage jersey tbph. Out of the three, I actually prefer the away one ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts