What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuke

Staff member
You might find that the Knights heritage jersey having different sleeves to the original version might have something to do with copyright infringements with the original design (i cant rember who did those 1997 ones for newy). Its the same for NQ, the original Canterbury 1995 cows jersey had an extra grey stripe on the body and sleeves compared to next years ISC version. I still f**king love it though!!!

Back on the knights, shame this years heritage jersey has been dropped, that jersey is amazing IMO, f**k knows why they won't use it fulltime.
CCC were also the 1997-1999 jersey makers of the Knights.

I agree with others in that the sleeves and collar on the 2012 Newcastle 'heritage' jersey is just wrong. I notice that ISC have also slipped in a white line at the end of the sleeve too (just as there is a red one on the main and alternative jerseys).

I'm hoping the main reason for re-introducing the 1997-style as heritage is to get people away from the 'Henny Penny' style so that in 2014 when the Knights main jersey can be changed, it will be to that design (or variation of it).

Nuke

Staff member
I'm interested in the description that accompanies Newcastle's heritage strip on the Knights' online shop. It says:
'Order your 2012 Authentic Heritage Jersey now and be among the first to wear it. It pays tribute to the Newcastle Knights 25 year history. This Jersey will be primarily worn throughout the 2012 season and features the Knights new sponsors. The 2012 Heritage Jersey has been inspired by the Premiership winning jerseys of '97 and '01.'

Apart from the sleeves, I don't see any similarities between the 2012 heritage jersey and the 2001 premiership-winning jersey. The thing that interested me moreso was the bit about this jersey will be 'primarily worn throughout the 2012 season', which to me says that this will be Newcastle's unofficial main jersey. This, I like. Shame we couldn't do it for the 1988-style, but I feel that time is approaching one year soon..!

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Not a fan of the away strip for the Knights, they've never really had a predominately white jersey. Heritage strip looks great though.

roofromoz

First Grade
I'm interested in the description that accompanies Newcastle's heritage strip on the Knights' online shop. It says:
'Order your 2012 Authentic Heritage Jersey now and be among the first to wear it. It pays tribute to the Newcastle Knights 25 year history. This Jersey will be primarily worn throughout the 2012 season and features the Knights new sponsors. The 2012 Heritage Jersey has been inspired by the Premiership winning jerseys of '97 and '01.'

Apart from the sleeves, I don't see any similarities between the 2012 heritage jersey and the 2001 premiership-winning jersey. The thing that interested me moreso was the bit about this jersey will be 'primarily worn throughout the 2012 season', which to me says that this will be Newcastle's unofficial main jersey. This, I like. Shame we couldn't do it for the 1988-style, but I feel that time is approaching one year soon..!

The 2001 jersey from memory was a superleague-style v formation, wasn't it?

I don't see either how this jersey in a snapshot pays tribute to their 25 years. Penrith tried it in 2006 with the 40th anniversary jersey, and I guess looking back on it they did an OK job, considering the 2 different colour schemes and various designs:

attachment.php

Panfas

Juniors
They kind of look the same in terms of the number of hoops, but the white ribbon / away has fainter grey strips further down:

3rd%20jersey2.jpg

There are differences in terms of no hoops on the sleeves and also the colour scheme.

If you also look closely at the the home jersey you will see the lines in the bottom half of the jersey, again similar to 1991. Simply add in white and teal lines in the middle and you have a winner. Simply invert the white jersey
penrith-panthers-main.jpg

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The 2001 jersey from memory was a superleague-style v formation, wasn't it?

I don't see either how this jersey in a snapshot pays tribute to their 25 years. Penrith tried it in 2006 with the 40th anniversary jersey, and I guess looking back on it they did an OK job, considering the 2 different colour schemes and various designs:

attachment.php

Yuk. Dogs breakfast. Worse than the 07 08 09 away strip.

Alex28

Coach
The Panthers had the sponsorship agreement with Sanyo, not Panasonic. Just because Panasonic has bought and absorbed Sanyo, doesnt mean they take in all of their sponsorship agreements. Do you see Panasonic sponsoring GWS also? ummm, no you dont
If Panasonic saw any value in sponsoring the Panthers they would have renewed the sponsorship in their own name. They didn't. Don't blame them either. Your joint is a rabble.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Thank you....nice to recieve a non snide, sarcastic reply to a simple question, I always thought 'away' & 'alternate' were basically the same thing.

No Problem.

I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any minties jersey next year.

Panfas

Juniors
If Panasonic saw any value in sponsoring the Panthers they would have renewed the sponsorship in their own name. They didn't. Don't blame them either. Your joint is a rabble.
Where the f*** do you think Panasonic can get an additional $500k-$1M from their marketing budget?? Do you think they just have a kitty sitting there where they can take out money whenever they like? If they work like many other multi-national organisations they would be allocated $X per year for their ANZ/Pacific marketing. Regardless of the Sanyo aquisition, they would not have any extra funds sent from head office for an additional major sponsorship.

F*** me some people just dont understand how things work

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Says the two team hero.
"Go the BullDrags"

Two heritage jerseys each year will always put us above others....quite obvious I wouldve thought :roll:
We only use 4 so quit ur crap
So the pink one you played against us in Round 16, did I imagine that?

Five.

Not a fan of the away strip for the Knights, they've never really had a predominately white jersey. Heritage strip looks great though.
To be fair, they've had a predominantly white away strip for the last three seasons:

knightsAway2011.jpg

And earlier last decade (around 2000-2003 i think):

128px-Newcastle_Knights_away_jersey_2003.svg.png
128px-Newcastle_Knights_away_jersey_2000.svg.png

The only time they didn't was mid-decade when they had the god-awful red reverse jersey...

616447-matt-gidley.jpg

Saint Doc

Coach
So the pink one you played against us in Round 16, did I imagine that?

Five.

Wasn't his point that the two heritage should be counted as one?

Most clubs have
- home
- away
- heritage
- charity / indigenous

Manly, whose home jersey was heritage, had charity/indigenous instead.

So the tigers are the same as every club, except that they had two heritage jerseys for obvious reasons

Plus, didn't dogs play in:
* retro jersey (pre season)
* home
* away
* heritage
* star wars

And the dragons
* charity shield
* home
* away
* heritage
* pink v

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
You're right actually, and I forgot how much white there was on the early 2000 versions. Just so used to the red+blue that such a large amount of white seems foreign.

I'm probably the only one but I liked the red jerseys, and I loved the grey ones.

Jobdog

Live Update Team

This is very interesting reading...

Alex28

Coach
Where the f*** do you think Panasonic can get an additional $500k-$1M from their marketing budget?? Do you think they just have a kitty sitting there where they can take out money whenever they like? If they work like many other multi-national organisations they would be allocated $X per year for their ANZ/Pacific marketing. Regardless of the Sanyo aquisition, they would not have any extra funds sent from head office for an additional major sponsorship.

F*** me some people just dont understand how things work

I work for one of the biggest companies in Australia. I understand exactly how marketing works. I also understand that if a company the size of Panasonic wanted to boost their profile further in Australia they could have quite easily have got $500K as an extraordinary cost under their sponsorship budget.

They didn't, and why would they want to be associated with probably the worst run club in the competition?

duylm

Juniors
I work for one of the biggest companies in Australia. I understand exactly how marketing works. I also understand that if a company the size of Panasonic wanted to boost their profile further in Australia they could have quite easily have got $500K as an extraordinary cost under their sponsorship budget.

They didn't, and why would they want to be associated with probably the worst run club in the competition?

Coming from the club that can only get sponsors AFTER its owner has lined the coffers of that respective company by doing business with them (QR) , or in the case of the main sponsor, is his FULLY owned subsidiary.

Black Majik

Juniors

hehehe...look who is all proud of their privately owned club :lol:

What happens when Tinkler decides to no longer support your club? Debt? Bad crowds?

beave

Coach
Great, even the jersey thread isn't immune from trolling it seems.

Alex, considering how amateur the knights have been off the field since inception, I think it's pretty rich that you are having a dig at Penrith. In this current climate, companies companies just have a spare $500k-mil laying around to carry on sponsorship of a major football team they have no obligation to carry on with??? I think you are being a little harsh............

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wasn't his point that the two heritage should be counted as one?
That seems utterly ludicrous. Two heritage jerseys is two heritage jerseys.

I make no mistake about my club having too many jerseys (although I'm not sure we really count pre-season ones tbf), I wish it was a limit of four per club (1 x main, 1 x clash only, 1 x heritage, 1 x charity - either WiL, Call to Arms or Indigenous)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts