What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellray

Juniors
Yeah was thinking the same thing. Don't mind the alternative Souths jersey though, different at least.

Here's the Seven's jersey that you were talking about?

south-sydney-rabbitohs-alternative-away-rugby-shirt-1995-to-1997-s_1573_1_500x400.jpg

Oh wow i really loved this jersey growing up, remember Field, Smith, Mellor Trindall playing in these jerseys. Winning the pre season comp. good times!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
My guess, there is a "Telstra Premiership" shield and a "Telstra Finals" sheild. The finals shield is used on advertising etc in the finals, whereas the premiership shield is used for all things football.
Has always been the case, but the new design has carried across both. See the link at the bottom of this post.

Forget the debate about the new Telstra logo, the main NRL page, theres no evidence of it... I think we should just have team coloured specific logos like the Super League did..

Thoughts..??

No evidence on the homepage, no, but it is attached to every game in the draw at the moment: http://www.nrl.com/TelstraPremiership/2012Draw/tabid/11105/Default.aspx

RWB

Bench
Usually very critical of what the Roosters put out but they've pretty much nailed the home one this year, only missing the Easts logo

http://www.nospam13.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=503&d=1322106221

http://www.nospam13.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=504&d=1322106282

RL1908

Bench
Did they have Away kits in those days??

Not something I've gone looking at, but my first recollection of teams having two jerseys in same year was Wests & Manly in 1975, but that was really confined to just the pre season jersey differing from the premiership - Manly, and maybe Wests, played in white jerseys. Manly made the change to white permanent in 1976, but stuck to one jersey.

It seems that shorts, socks, and some differentiation in the jersey by the second colour (white being the first colour), was sufficient to keep at bay any complaint that team kits clashed.

I may be wrong, but I think Wests thru late 1970s were first to have two jerseys in same season, but the concept of every club having an "away" jersey is much more recent.

Timmah

Staff member
Usually very critical of what the Roosters put out but they've pretty much nailed the home one this year, only missing the Easts logo

http://www.nospam13.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=503&d=1322106221

http://www.nospam13.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=504&d=1322106282

Neither image appears for me, but the Home & Heritage are both on Jerseys.com.au's facebook page

They are both the same as 2011, only difference being AGS Transport has dropped off, replaced by Easts Leagues Club.

Timmah

Staff member
Not something I've gone looking at, but my first recollection of teams having two jerseys in same year was Wests & Manly in 1975, but that was really confined to just the pre season jersey differing from the premiership - Manly, and maybe Wests, played in white jerseys. Manly made the change to white permanent in 1976, but stuck to one jersey.

It seems that shorts, socks, and some differentiation in the jersey by the second colour (white being the first colour), was sufficient to keep at bay any complaint that team kits clashed.

I may be wrong, but I think Wests thru late 1970s were first to have two jerseys in same season, but the concept of every club having an "away" jersey is much more recent.
I know the Bulldogs first commissioned an away/alternate jersey in 1999 (predominantly grey), and it's only really been since 02 or 03 where every club has been required to have one.

beave

Coach
In our first year, NQ had an away jersey which was just the normal home jersey but flipped upside down.

Bella%2cMarty%2095011_192219_p.jpg

It actually didn't look that bad IMO.

innsaneink

Referee

I remember as a kid thinking the white with black V's alternate magpies jersey was just the best thing ever...even better than colour TV that was around the same period, though I think manly may have been before Wests on this, though my memorys very poor on details

PaulyTom

Juniors
When is the NRL logo going to change? With the IC coming in , is this on their agenda? Rebranding the NRL . When does Telstra sponsorship run out?

sheepbender

Juniors
When is the NRL logo going to change? With the IC coming in , is this on their agenda? Rebranding the NRL . When does Telstra sponsorship run out?

The IC will be sortin the runnin of the game, not changing logos or names, the name of the League isnt changing, so why does the Logo need to change..?? I dont think the NRL needs to be re-branded..

hellteam

First Grade
In our first year, NQ had an away jersey which was just the normal home jersey but flipped upside down.

Bella%2cMarty%2095011_192219_p.jpg

It actually didn't look that bad IMO.

Wow I've never seen this one before, awesome jersey to go with their inaugural home strip. 1995 really was the best year for jerseys, nearly every teams was spot on imo

Nuke

Staff member
@Nuke - the point I was trying to make was overall across the 25 years with the various designs, but if the aim is to commemorate the 2 premiership years, than I can see it a bit.

All good mate. It'd be hard (and not a good design if done) to make a Knights jersey that incorporates all of their jersey designs to date. This would be why they chose to highlight their two premiership years in the one jersey in my opinion.

On the topic of Telstra Premiership badges, I, like others, believe the new one that was used throughout the 2011 Finals Series will be the badge on all jerseys in 2012. I should think that the jerseys for sale now were basically all done and dusted prior to the change and when all sold out, will be replaced by the new badge on new stock. In my wardrobe is a Western Reds jersey that I received for Christmas 1994 (a few months prior to their inaugural season). It has the old NSWRL badge on it, but by the time the 1995 season had kicked off, the comp had changed to the ARL - meaning my jersey was out of date before a ball had even been kicked!
I've also got a couple of Newcastle jerseys from 2003 which have the NIB sleeve sponsors' logos as stitched-on patches over NBN's logos as the Knights had changed sleeve sponsors after some stock had been made up!

flippikat

Bench
In my wardrobe is a Western Reds jersey that I received for Christmas 1994 (a few months prior to their inaugural season). It has the old NSWRL badge on it, but by the time the 1995 season had kicked off, the comp had changed to the ARL - meaning my jersey was out of date before a ball had even been kicked!

Yep, I got in early and bought an Auckland Warriors jersey way before 1995 and it had the NSWRL badge on it too.

I wonder whether the 1995 20-team competition really was originally going to be run by the NSWRL (before they decided to hand it over to the ARL) or whether this was just done out of convenience to get the jerseys out there with SOMETHING opposite the club logo (and the ARL was going to run the comp from 1995 onwards all along)?

There is an urban myth that Newtown had a white jersey in the 70's for mid week games, but there is no evidence of this and no I've spoken to has any memory of seeing it :?

I do remember seeing a white Souths Minties jersey at Henson Park one day, it was amazing to see. Can't remember the sponsor, might have been 100 Pipers (circa 1981), but that shows the idea of an "away" jersey in the early 80's taking on.

Also Canberra had a white away jersey from at least 82, that I can recall.

beave

Coach
Wow I've never seen this one before, awesome jersey to go with their inaugural home strip. 1995 really was the best year for jerseys, nearly every teams was spot on imo

They actually predominantly wore that flipped jersey in 1996, even at home........ I honestly don't know why though. They wore it in the team photo for 1996 as seen here

7555f464.jpg

check out the nuffys wearing it!!!

I agree as well, that mid 90's was the glory years IMO for jerseys, even the Crushers jersey looked decent enough considering the putrid colours they chose!

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Totally agree, that jersey has both teams covered and it looks good......... Instead some pony tailed tofu eating homo gets his abortion approved and worn onfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.