What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

Lucky Roy

Juniors
That and the Piggins carve up.

Cool. So where exactly would Souths be with George still in charge? All references to "if it wasn't for George..." will be disregarded. Because he was but one of but many who worked for the cause. Indispensible but not the sole saviour. Unless one reads the Telegraph, which would mean the accolades really belong to Alan Jones.

Getting off topic a bit, though.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
BULLDOGS: 7125

Ahead of last year(I think).

My prediction is that this year we will his 17k.

10,000 to go !

Thats a big call. Dont think its reachable this year, but a solid year should see the Doggies pass it easily.

I think your mob or Parra will be the next club(s) to crack 20k.

Thats a big call. Dont think its reachable this year, but a solid year should see the Doggies pass it easily.

I think your mob or Parra will be the next club(s) to crack 20k.

If we have a solid opening to 2012 then we may be able to, agree that either my team or Parra will crack the 20k mark next.

Lambretta

First Grade
Will re-open in the new year. Basically, it has been in the wrong place forever - exhibit A being Souths Juniors. It was not a problem with the brand but more with the location. Of course, it was run into the ground, a bit like the fottball club was. Both occurred under the stewardship of the one person. A person whose heart was in the right place but didn't have a clue.

On memberships, it is ironic that the same person introduced them as a fund-raising venture, not seeing that this was the very thing that unseated him. Very easy to control the votes of a hundred or so members. Not so easy standing over fifteen or sixteen thousand with newly discovered voting rights.

As for Leagues club funding, those days are just about over. Very few of them are in a position to offer the funds they used to. Canterbury, Easts and Parra maybe but nothing like it used to be. The next club to fall over will be the one who cannot generate funds through membership (or is already technically bankrupt, as one club is).

People can LOLSouffs all they like but the fact is, they have the largest membership base and the largest income from it. All seats, with the exception of some charity versions, are at primo pricing. Mine cost $339 and is nothing special. Non ticketed membership at $90 is nearly equivalent to Newcastle's ticketed members. I know which income I'd prefer but there is obviously the Tinkler effect. He won't be taking those losses forever. Just ask Max Delmege.

You really are supporting the wrong team. :p Not one spelling mistake and a well thought out and constructed contribution. An excellent post - well done.

Doga

Juniors
Memberships are all well and good, but if the attendances aren't good, then the only thing to show for it is the fact Souths don't pay a mint to play at ANZ and that they have a pretty dressing room.

Bums on seats guarantees increased merch, F&B and other moneyspinning opportunities, particularly for charities and sponsors.

Buying a membership is a great money injection but the ideal scenario is to have them come to the games and spend more on the club and other periphery.

And that's not a go at Souths - it's business.

Dogs have around 7,200 members so far.

Lets say the average ticket is $200

That makes $1,440,000

Obviously there are costs to member packs etc but I think that put's Souths 20k into perspective

Lambretta

First Grade
If we have a solid opening to 2012 then we may be able to, agree that either my team or Parra will crack the 20k mark next.

This is an interesting point - we get caught up in the whole "memberships before the season starts" thing - but memberships are sold after the season begins and still count for the numbers for that year.

If the Dogs explode out of the blocks they could generate a whole lot of additional memberships up until rounds 5 or 6.

This is an interesting point - we get caught up in the whole "memberships before the season starts" thing - but memberships are sold after the season begins and still count for the numbers for that year.

If the Dogs explode out of the blocks they could generate a whole lot of additional memberships up until rounds 5 or 6.

That goes for every club I feel,any club that kicks the season off by winning their first five games their membership will definately explode.

H.H

Juniors
Cool. So where exactly would Souths be with George still in charge? All references to "if it wasn't for George..." will be disregarded. Because he was but one of but many who worked for the cause. Indispensible but not the sole saviour. Unless one reads the Telegraph, which would mean the accolades really belong to Alan Jones.

Getting off topic a bit, though.
If George was still in charge, I'd say they'd be about where they were in 2000 - 01.

You've done a pretty good job Russell. How much longer will you hang around for though?

azza29

Juniors
Melbourne currently sitting at 4,098. Not a bad figure considering last year's total was around 10.5k, with 3.5k of those being reduced-game memberships.

Once the season starts Storm's numbers will skyrocket with the single-game membership sales - another reason why membership numbers should be based on game attendances sold, not $$$ (i.e. a full membership counts as 12 'game attendances', single game counts as 1 etc).

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Melbourne currently sitting at 4,098. Not a bad figure considering last year's total was around 10.5k, with 3.5k of those being reduced-game memberships.

Once the season starts Storm's numbers will skyrocket with the single-game membership sales - another reason why membership numbers should be based on game attendances sold, not $$$ (i.e. a full membership counts as 12 'game attendances', single game counts as 1 etc).

No, that would be a full ticketed member. Memberships are different.

Billythekid

First Grade

Considering this time last year the storm were on 0 i'd say already being over 4000 isn't too bad. Hopefully there is the usual surge towards the start of the season.

I'm guessing Storm memberships are getting zero ad space/publicity in Melbourne?

They need to throw some ads in the paper and maybe even a good billboard or 2 up

azza29

Juniors
Considering this time last year the storm were on 0 i'd say already being over 4000 isn't too bad. Hopefully there is the usual surge towards the start of the season.

IIRC they didn't even start selling memberships until late Jan/early Feb this year. Definitely on the ball (excuse the pun) a bit more for 2012.

I'm guessing Storm memberships are getting zero ad space/publicity in Melbourne?

This is true. So far most promotion has been towards 2011 members.

Canard

Immortal
As a Melbourne resident (non-Storm fan) I can tell you that you might see an odd bus shelter or two, but not a lot of advertisement no.

I certainly am starting to see a lot more Storm merchandise worn around town though, I think as bad as the salary cap stuff was its really galvanised support for them in Melbourne.

As much as Im a league fan its hard for me to justify getting a membership when a) Im not a Storm Fan, b) I want attend every home game and c) I can turn up to any game at any time and get a good seat.

Von

Juniors
Compare the NRL's push and backing in Melbourne with the Storm
to that of the AFL's push in Gold Coast with the Suns and Western Sydney with GWS.

Sad isn't it.

Goddo

Bench
As a Melbourne resident (non-Storm fan) I can tell you that you might see an odd bus shelter or two, but not a lot of advertisement no.

I certainly am starting to see a lot more Storm merchandise worn around town though, I think as bad as the salary cap stuff was its really galvanised support for them in Melbourne.

As much as Im a league fan its hard for me to justify getting a membership when a) Im not a Storm Fan, b) I want attend every home game and c) I can turn up to any game at any time and get a good seat.
The Storm sell a 4 game membership don't they? Maybe that is the ideal package for non-Storm fans. They could tailor merchandise in that membership towards rivalries rather than the Storm.

Especially if its for games targeted at teams with a strong following in Melbourne (Warriors, Dragons, Broncos... not sure who would be 4th, Manly or Wests?)

Latest posts