What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

Raiderdave

First Grade
Does anyone actually believe their numbers?

Today - after being so low for so long - they have magically hit the 3k mark

EXACTLY THE 3K MARK

smells like SHAM to me

hmmm thought the same .... fishy indeed
but still
I'd doubt theres an NRL club with a tally as low as 3K.... even at this stage
its an astoundingly low figure for a club that boasted 12K foundation members
I mean.... where have they all gone :sarcasm:

Lambretta

First Grade
I spoke to someone at the Roosters a couple of days ago and the Roosters member numbers are now a tick over 5,000

If that's verified on the website, thats a cracking effort for our club.

azza29

Juniors
hmmm thought the same .... fishy indeed
but still
I'd doubt theres an NRL club with a tally as low as 3K.... even at this stage
its an astoundingly low figure for a club that boasted 12K foundation members
I mean.... where have they all gone :sarcasm:

Foundation memberships were only $50. A lot of people bought them to give the team a kick start, but don't want to shell out $200 for a full season. My guess is they will end up somewhere around the 10k mark.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Foundation memberships were only $50. A lot of people bought them to give the team a kick start, but don't want to shell out $200 for a full season. My guess is they will end up somewhere around the 10k mark.

10K ... mmmm
I dunno so much ...

they're less then half way to where the Suns were this time last year
& they ended up with 14K with all the " newness " & the hooplah that goes with that

they're dragging the chain badly are GWS ... I dunno why there'd be a sudden explosion .. as that should have happened already

I think they might get to 7K ... but not many more
& I think all 16 NRL clubs will have a bigger tally then this.:D

the only way this won't happen is if the AFL won't allow them to have a smaller tally then every NRL club & .. :sarcasm: " fudge" the numbers up to just above the smallest NRL tally

scum.... :x

Lambretta

First Grade
If the GWS dont sell the memberships they need to show they have larger numbers than say Penrith, they'll just give a 1,000 away to school kids and claim they're part of their numbers.

Paid memberships and memberships aren't always the same thing.

The gate totals in the long term are what's important, not membership numbers in the short term.

Memberships have shown NRL clubs that their gate averages can be increased across the season. We need to be actively promoting our code and doing positive things for Rugby League.

That means we need proper funding, an independent commission and a word in the ear of government just like the AFL does.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Does or has anyone ever bought a membership for a struggling or new expansion club as a show of support?

The reason i ask is that i noticed a thread on bigfooty when i had a glance at where there memberhsip numbers are at relative to the NRL clubs atm. Basically a lot of the melbourne based supporters buy Lions, giants and gold coast memberships to help them out. While the show of support for their code is admirable it does create a false impression of the support in terms of memberships of those clubs. A bit dodgy if you ask me!

Billythekid

First Grade
I would never do that and i think it's a pretty silly thing to do unless you have a lot of money. Even then there are better ways to donate your money like giving it to charity (or if you insist on using it to help the sport send it to the grassroots that need it, the f*cking AFL can spill its coffers to help expansion clubs).

That sort of thing being done by Victorians and the expat Victorian population in NSW and QLD is what gives a distorted view of AFL's popularity in both states. That's why they can sell 30K memberships, average 25K crowds and only get 60K wacthing on the telly (because no one else gives a sh*t).

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I am a member of the Bears purely on the fact I live on the Central Coast and I know this area is desperate for it's own team.

PaulyTom

Juniors
I buy my Souths membership because I love Rugby League. I probably only get to attend 6 home games a year but I believe it is the best investment I can ever make. The game of Rugby League gives me so much joy and I really can't think what life would be with out it. So $330 bucks a year is nothing compared to the joy it gives me through out the year, even if Souths aren't winning.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
I buy my Souths membership because I love Rugby League. I probably only get to attend 6 home games a year but I believe it is the best investment I can ever make. The game of Rugby League gives me so much joy and I really can't think what life would be with out it. So $330 bucks a year is nothing compared to the joy it gives me through out the year, even if Souths aren't winning.
Well said, if we all had this outlook Rugby League would be untouchable.

High Flyers

Juniors
Does or has anyone ever bought a membership for a struggling or new expansion club as a show of support?

The reason i ask is that i noticed a thread on bigfooty when i had a glance at where there memberhsip numbers are at relative to the NRL clubs atm. Basically a lot of the melbourne based supporters buy Lions, giants and gold coast memberships to help them out. While the show of support for their code is admirable it does create a false impression of the support in terms of memberships of those clubs. A bit dodgy if you ask me!

Why would you do that? I support my game in other ways... I only want my rugby league team (eels) to win. I support them financially and hope that turns into success (not likely).

I think people that do that must be a little "special". They probably just love everything equally. Kind of makes winning mean nothing if you support a number of teams. "Oh my teams out of the finals". His equally dumb mate says "its ok your a member of that other team why dont you just follow them... etc..

supera

Juniors

I grew up watching afl and was entrenched in that mindset, and I find the premise of this question to be unlikely.

no one bought gold coast or GWS memberships to help them out. they didn't need the help, the afl threw more money at them than they could spend. and the lions are not a struggling club, but would have some fitzroy memberships.

opposition supporters have helped out the western bulldogs and north Melbourne to keep them in Melbourne so they didn't end up in Sydney or the gold coast..

the siege mentalists won't get any joy here. only the AFL cares about qld and nsw. fans in Melbourne don't care, and I'd say the majority of afl fans didn't agree with or support GWS' entry.

I don't know why u mentioned the clubs u did unless it is this rugby league siege mentality, because it's simply not right.

membership being easier in the afl I think is partially down to the fact that as a west coast member I'm a true member who has a stake in the club. as a raiders member, I'm not a member at all, I'm a season ticket holder. if I can't get to most matches for the raiders, I don't buy a membership because there's no utility. I don't get to any west coast games in Perth, but am still a member because I get a say in my team (and also cos I can resell the seat for most games :p)

MsStorm

Bench

Top post. I wish more rugby league fans would think like this.

supera

Juniors
times are tough mate. most people can't afford to donate to their footy club. if there's no utility, i just don't think your average working class rugby league fan can justify that.

If we are to stick with the meager "season ticket" option for "memberships" I think more needs to be done to promote what a good deal it is. and more importantly, why it's so important to your club. especially when average joe goes to their leagues club, sese a billion pokies, and probably assume their clubs alright.

with that said, I'll never understand people wearing $160 jerseys sitting in the $30 general admission seats when a season ticket in Canberra starts at about $220.

I don't think we can criticised the non-paying public for poor promotion as to why it's important. nor should we expect to compete with AFL numbers yet - the big push to become an nrl club member started in the last 5 years. afl got a 10 year head start.

I just wonder what happens if we ever do get those numbers. it was a major reason for the AFL consolidating to 2 grounds in Melbourne. league fans from penrith, manly, cronulla and others won't accept this.

as an aside, I think the battles are extraordinarily counter productive: the concept of membership is not about other teams. it's about YOUR team. tonmake it only about numbers and battles neglects the purpose of it - to explain that it's important not to beat a rival, but to actually underpin the future of your team.

Lambretta

First Grade
I am a member of the Bears purely on the fact I live on the Central Coast and I know this area is desperate for it's own team.

I bought a Bears membership as they represent the area I live in and we currently don't have a team for our area.

On that subject, I find it hard to believe that the North Shore of Sydney was abandoned by Rugby League when the Bears went out of the comp. I'm amazed that teams such as West Tigers (who have Ryde and Eastwood) Parramatta, the Roosters and Manly didn't look at the area from a development point of view.

Manly really seems to have a lock on the supporters in the area if spotting people wearing team colours is anything to go by. I see four people wearing their colours to someone wearing the other 15 clubs combined.

Lambretta

First Grade

If you supported Easts your love for Rugby League would only cost you $100 for the season and you could spend the money you saved bribing the missus into letting you attend a few more games.

I never thought the day would be here when Easts were the bargain basement club and Souths were the big money whores.

:p

PS. Love your passion mate.