What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

AuDragon

Juniors
Bold plans by the Broncos, but if there is a club in the NRL that can do it, it's us!
Source: Paul White

I'm loving what Paul White has been doing with the club so far, and this is yet another step towards a brilliant future for the Broncos! :clap:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
I grew up watching afl and was entrenched in that mindset, and I find the premise of this question to be unlikely.

no one bought gold coast or GWS memberships to help them out. they didn't need the help, the afl threw more money at them than they could spend. and the lions are not a struggling club, but would have some fitzroy memberships.

opposition supporters have helped out the western bulldogs and north Melbourne to keep them in Melbourne so they didn't end up in Sydney or the gold coast..

the siege mentalists won't get any joy here. only the AFL cares about qld and nsw. fans in Melbourne don't care, and I'd say the majority of afl fans didn't agree with or support GWS' entry.

I don't know why u mentioned the clubs u did unless it is this rugby league siege mentality, because it's simply not right.

membership being easier in the afl I think is partially down to the fact that as a west coast member I'm a true member who has a stake in the club. as a raiders member, I'm not a member at all, I'm a season ticket holder. if I can't get to most matches for the raiders, I don't buy a membership because there's no utility. I don't get to any west coast games in Perth, but am still a member because I get a say in my team (and also cos I can resell the seat for most games :p)

I read the same thread at little foody and quite a few Vics, SA and WA fans got memberships for the Northern clubs to help them out, it's in their membership thread.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Yeah, 2 of them, called "Below the border", one for Sydney and one for Melbourne, with local games included.

While that is all well and good. There should be a third for the rest of the country. Whether that only includes a non-ticketed membership or contains a trail match ticket or for Perth an NRL game against Souths (get a agreement going) it doesn't matter. This is for all clubs though, I'm not picking on the Broncos.

AuDragon

Juniors
While that is all well and good. There should be a third for the rest of the country. Whether that only includes a non-ticketed membership or contains a trail match ticket or for Perth an NRL game against Souths (get a agreement going) it doesn't matter. This is for all clubs though, I'm not picking on the Broncos.
There is a non ticketed membership at the Broncos as well, and I don't think you can make up memberships for all possible combinations or scenarios. Besides the Perth thing would be a Souths affair, since it's technically one of their home games...

Canard

Immortal
Cowboys have an membership package that allows you to choose either one or two away game tickets, and then the non-ticketed "distant star" member (which I have).

Its a bit pointless for Melbourne as they only play one game here, Id rather just go along to the Storm games that I want to attend and buy good tickets for those.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
There is a non ticketed membership at the Broncos as well, and I don't think you can make up memberships for all possible combinations or scenarios. Besides the Perth thing would be a Souths affair, since it's technically one of their home games...

I'm sure the Broncos and the Rabbitohs could work together and find a offer. At very least, a team like the Broncos could meet with the Rabbitohs and suss it out. It could be counted as a Perth Broncos away membership which comes with one away ticket. Clubs working together in this type of capacity is the way forward to growing the sport and each of the clubs.

On your other point I'm not saying make a membership for every scenario. But very little is done for Rugby League fans who live in Adelaide and Perth, making a rest of Australia membership at least acknowledges the existence of the rest of Australia and could buy good will from Rugby League fans and potential fans in those areas.

Lucky Roy

Juniors
Re Souths...

"As at 23rd December, 9653 ticketed members, 5919 non-ticketed members. Running at about 60% ticketed members. "

The current total figure is just over 16000 so I will assume the ratio remains. At an average of $300 per full ticketed vs $50 odd for non-ticketed (it is actually $90 but there are "special deals"), that means the rough income is about $3m for full plus about $300k for the rest. Let's call it $3.3m. I see Cronulla are around 2900 menebers and Manly, who should be much, much better, aren't that far ahead of Cronulla. Penrith are even worse. With Leagues club input disappearing before our eyes, for the life of me, I can't see how clubs with figures as low as this can survive.

Nice to be Brisbane with a fan base of over 2.5 million to draw on. Thanks, Rupe...

Re Souths...

"As at 23rd December, 9653 ticketed members, 5919 non-ticketed members. Running at about 60% ticketed members. "

The current total figure is just over 16000 so I will assume the ratio remains. At an average of $300 per full ticketed vs $50 odd for non-ticketed (it is actually $90 but there are "special deals"), that means the rough income is about $3m for full plus about $300k for the rest. Let's call it $3.3m. I see Cronulla are around 2900 menebers and Manly, who should be much, much better, aren't that far ahead of Cronulla. Penrith are even worse. With Leagues club input disappearing before our eyes, for the life of me, I can't see how clubs with figures as low as this can survive.

Nice to be Brisbane with a fan base of over 2.5 million to draw on. Thanks, Rupe...

This would make newcastle's 12 odd thousand ticketed members the number one team then.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Re Souths...

Excellent overall numbers from souths but really a lot lower season ticket % than i imagined.

Lucky Roy

Juniors
Well my non ticketed interstate membership was $70 so I doubt a fully ticketed membership would be $100. I think its more like $250

Don't know the exact figure but it's nowhere near $250. I recall seeing a story about the prices after the big boy took over. Maybe it was a one off offer. Maybe forever, but I doubt it. The quoted figure of $120 sounds about right. Great short term, but not sustainable. $10 adult entry to an NRL match? Ah don sin so, Quicksderaw.

My overall point is that some clubs have generated close to the salary cap in memberships already while others are barely into four figures. Now that is unsustainable - no question about it. I'm not surprised about Easts, Cronulla or Penrith but the figures for a popular club like Wests Tigers make me wonder.

I'd be interested to see sponsorship and merchandise dollars. I would imagine they would be in similar ratios. Meaning the rich get richer...

Raiderdave

First Grade
Re Souths...

ah ... see where ?

Manly were at 5600 about 2 weeks ago
Penrith were at 3200 then as well

not sure what it is you are seeing ?:?

Canard

Immortal
I'm sure the Broncos and the Rabbitohs could work together and find a offer. At very least, a team like the Broncos could meet with the Rabbitohs and suss it out. It could be counted as a Perth Broncos away membership which comes with one away ticket. Clubs working together in this type of capacity is the way forward to growing the sport and each of the clubs.

On your other point I'm not saying make a membership for every scenario. But very little is done for Rugby League fans who live in Adelaide and Perth, making a rest of Australia membership at least acknowledges the existence of the rest of Australia and could buy good will from Rugby League fans and potential fans in those areas.

Thats just getting to absurd levels of hyper criticism.

The non-ticketed membership is the a good way to include out of town club supporters. To expect a develop a membership package that includes a ticket to another clubs one off game is just ridiculous.

For one off games, regardless of who is playing, League fans will be at the game, and a $20 Gen admin ticket is not going to cut it.

By the way the Cowboys non-ticketed membership fee is $45. For that you get a cap, a keyring, a fridge magnet with the season draw, a raincoat (plastic bag with holes in it) and a lanyard. Be interested to know what the $70 Knights membership includes?

Lucky Roy

Juniors
ah ... see where ?

Manly were at 5600 about 2 weeks ago
Penrith were at 3200 then as well

not sure what it is you are seeing ?:?

I'm seeing the same as you and they are both hopeless, along with a lot of other clubs, some expected, some not. There are nearly 500,000 people in Penrith's catchment and they don't all live hand to mouth in Mount Druitt. They have won a premiership this century and are always competitive. They should be miles better than 3200.

As for Manly, they are the premiers - again. Why are they consistently one third of Souths, who have done SFA in forty years? I'm beginning to think it is a specific group of players that are responsible for Manly's succes because their management is usless. They already went broke once and took another club out. How far away is their next disaster? Again, 5600 for them is pathetic.

Latest posts