What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Memberships

azza29

Juniors
These teams are capable of achieving those numbers and if they did you might see a handful having season capacity attendances (Parramatta, Newcastle, Tigers, Dragons, Manly) and a few others coming close. That would see the overall crowd average somewhere around the 23,000 mark.

Broncos could eventually reach Collingwood-esque membership levels (70k+) given they have a whole city to support them. Of course, Lang Park can only hold so many so doubtless they'd need to cap it at some point.

Most NSW/ACT teams should be aiming for 30-35k as a long-term benchmark, very achievable with the larger clubs probably able to pull in 50k.

Storm should get their 15k this year and could average 25k in 10 years' time.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Within 8 years teams should be aiming for:

Broncos - 35,000+
Canberra - 15,000+
Canterbury - 25,000 - 35,000
Cronulla - 15,000+
Titans - 20,000+
Manly - 15,000+
Melbourne - 20,000 - 25,000
Warriors - 20,000 - 25,000
Newcastle - 25,000+
North Qld - 20,000 - 25,000
Parramatta - 18,000+
Penrith - 15,000+
Souths - 25,000 - 35,000
St George - 25,000 - 30,000 (if they look at seat sharing allotments for particular games)
Roosters - 15,000 - 20,000
Tigers - 20,000 - 25,000 (again if they look at seat sharing allotments)

These teams are capable of achieving those numbers and if they did you might see a handful having season capacity attendances (Parramatta, Newcastle, Tigers, Dragons, Manly) and a few others coming close. That would see the overall crowd average somewhere around the 23,000 mark.

Capacity attendances at the clubs you mentioned would be nice, but that would involve drastic changes in the culture of the whole RL fanbase who are apathetic at the best of times. I will settle for continued growth in attendances and memberships even at a slow rate and see where that takes us in 10 years.

supercharger

Juniors
Capacity attendances at the clubs you mentioned would be nice, but that would involve drastic changes in the culture of the whole RL fanbase who are apathetic at the best of times. I will settle for continued growth in attendances and memberships even at a slow rate and see where that takes us in 10 years.
your approach is much more realistic as some clubs still struggle in attendance even when they're at or near the top of the table

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
some clubs still struggle in attendance even when there at or near the top of the table

That's true but the overall membership median is going to shift higher lifting crowd averages with it. Whilst a handful of clubs will be capped by ground capacity there are others who can accomodate the short fall because they'd still be in stadium at only 30-50% capacity.

I think by the time the decade's out there will be a couple of clubs that will sell out their memberships entirely.

A 6000 rise in average club attendance over 9 years is possible. Individual clubs have achieved this even with yo-yoing performances over the course of consecutive seasons. It's just a matter of applying it to the whole competition.

Last edited:

supercharger

Juniors
That's true but the overall membership median is going to shift higher lifting crowd averages with it. Whilst a handful of clubs will be capped by ground capacity there are others who can accomodate the short fall because they'd still be in stadium at only 30-50% capacity.

I think by the time the decade's out there will be a couple of clubs that will sell out their memberships entirely.

A 6000 rise in average club attendance over 9 years is possible. Individual clubs have achieved this even with yo-yoing performances over the course of consecutive seasons. It's just a matter of applying it to the whole competition.
good point

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Parra could be held back because of the stadium, but if they start taking all their biggest games to ANZ it shouldn't be a problem.

Playing the Tigers, Dogs, Saints, Bunnies and maybe Penrith at ANZ would def lift the average. Maybe all Sydney clubs that can get decent crowds should start doing this and leave the smaller pulling games for their local grounds?

Parra could sell a 5 game membership to ANZ only and get people used to going out there until either Parra is upgraded or we have outgrown the joint and have to move perm to ANZ.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Average crowds at NRL games in 2020 ... based on memberships increasing from the 2011 tally of 180,000 to 300,000 by then.

Broncos 40,000
Knights 25,000
Bulldogs 25,000
Parramatta 20,000 ( 4 games at ANZ)
Tigers 20,000 ( 4 game split between 3 venues )
Dragons 20,000 ( 1 at SFS biannually )
Storm 20,000
Souths 20,000
Brisb Bombers 20,000
Cowboys 20,000 ( in their new venue )
Warriors 20,000 ( some games at eden )
Roosters 20,000
Titans 18,000
Manly 15,000
Perth 15,000
Raiders 15,000
Penrith 15,000
Sharks 15,000

an average NRL attendance of 20,000
memberships are the key to increasing average attendances ... lock em in
& they tend to go to games because they've already paid up front.

cleary89

Coach
Parra could be held back because of the stadium, but if they start taking all their biggest games to ANZ it shouldn't be a problem.

Playing the Tigers, Dogs, Saints, Bunnies and maybe Penrith at ANZ would def lift the average. Maybe all Sydney clubs that can get decent crowds should start doing this and leave the smaller pulling games for their local grounds?

Parra could sell a 5 game membership to ANZ only and get people used to going out there until either Parra is upgraded or we have outgrown the joint and have to move perm to ANZ.

If saints tried this, would lose a lot of fans. During our years away from Kogarah I didn't go to a game.

azza29

Juniors

A membership culture has done wonders for AFL attendance, could well do the same for the NRL, especially if the next TV deal lets the NRL announce the weekly schedule more than a few weeks in advance.

thommo4pm

Coach
If saints tried this, would lose a lot of fans. During our years away from Kogarah I didn't go to a game.

While I prefer we play our home games at Kogarah or The Gong, I'd support the team and go to where ever they decide to play the match.

I know it's pie in the sky stuff, but we really need a grandstand on the Eastern Side at Kogarah. That would take Kogarah capacity to well over 25,000. It won't happen, for several reasons but would be good if it did.

Raiderdave

First Grade
While I prefer we play our home games at Kogarah or The Gong, I'd support the team and go to where ever they decide to play the match.

I know it's pie in the sky stuff, but we really need a grandstand on the Eastern Side at Kogarah. That would take Kogarah capacity to well over 25,000. It won't happen, for several reasons but would be good if it did.

doen't need to be more then a handful of games a year

they got ova 30K for a game moved to the SCG last year V the Bulldogs .. without even trying :eek:

they already get 30K plus to the ANZAC day games at the SFS
& while I know thats a special occasion

we need to start building an event culture for NRL games in Sydney
set a big clash in against a cross town rival at the SFS or ANZ depending & promote the F out of it
do a deal with the members of the other club... lets start to encourage people out of their living rooms .. out of their suburbs to our big venues every now & then for club games .. not just SOO & finals.

the Dragons are one of Sydney's " big" clubs
they need to lead the way here.

docbrown

Coach
doen't need to be more then a handful of games a year

they got ova 30K for a game moved to the SCG last year V the Bulldogs .. without even trying :eek:

they already get 30K plus to the ANZAC day games at the SFS
& while I know thats a special occasion

set a big clash in against a cross town rival at the SFS or ANZ depending & promote the F out of it
do a deal with the members of the other club... lets start to encourage people out of their living rooms .. out of their suburbs to our big venues every now & then for club games .. not just SOO & finals.

the Dragons are one of Sydney's " big" clubs
they need to lead the way here.

Yep - Eels, Tigers, Dragons, Rabbitohs & Bulldogs are all capable of doing this.

I wrote about it in the expansion thread but the WESTERN SYDNEY CUP would be a useful marketing tool in this regards.

Von

Juniors

Totally agree with this.
Give the opposing members half price tickets or something similar. Not all the time of course, but for certain games. The Bulldogs have done it a few times...free entry to all NRL members when Hazam retired. etc.

These bonuses are also another encouragement for fans to become members

supera

Juniors
u know, I'm yet to be convinced that nrl teams want to have memberships bigger than their stadium capacity, lest they have to redevelop, or centralize stadiums (and lose local identity) as afl clubs did.

Raiderdave

First Grade
u know, I'm yet to be convinced that nrl teams want to have memberships bigger than their stadium capacity, lest they have to redevelop, or centralize stadiums (and lose local identity) as afl clubs did.

yeah ... NRL clubs will turn members away :sarcasm:

:lol::lol::lol:

thommo4pm

Coach
Totally agree with this.
Give the opposing members half price tickets or something similar. Not all the time of course, but for certain games. The Bulldogs have done it a few times...free entry to all NRL members when Hazam retired. etc.

These bonuses are also another encouragement for fans to become members

It used to happen didn't it?

I remember back around 2003 or 2004, my Red V membership allowed me into opposing games in Sydney for only $8.

Not sure why this stopped. It's a great way to boost the crowd figures.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Rubbish, WC Eagles basically have every seat at Subi Oval sold to members (40k) They then have around 8k people signed up for $80 a year just to be on a waitlist for memberships should they become available. Yep that is over 1/2mill a year income for nothing!

Latest posts