What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Certainly a bit out of left field, and I'm not even certain it would be an avenue I would take if I was NSW coach, however anyone think Josh McCrone is a candidate to fill Kurt Gidley's role in the line-up? There is no hiding from the fact that Stuart loves those types of players akin to Gidley and IMO McCrone fits his mould. He can cover fullback, centre, five-eighth, halfback and more importantly in the eyes of some: hooker. What most Raiders fans agree on is that McCrone is let down by the duty he possesses of being the primary half. Macca is a very solid, very competent half when playing second fiddle to Campo. However with the latter missing for two seasons he has had to take on this duty of our go to man. No doubt, however, he has been our best in the past 14 months along with Fensom. This again is all coupled with the fact that Josh was called up to the Country team to do this paralleled role: the versatile player. Obviously it was under the instructions of Sticky and to top all this off he was a member of the Blues Emerging squad at the beginning of this year. He is beginning to find consistency in his game, something that has been a cause for concern for Raiders fans since 2009.

On the topic of Raiders and NSW, if Dugan can prove in the next couple of weeks that he can shrug off this shoulder injury, prove that it won't harm his game and more importantly showcase some good footy, I'd select him. IMO he is the best option, however it is just an issue of him remaining on the park.

As a Raiders fan would love to see this, yet is a side that would do very well. So biased yes, but quality; definitely a team that would compete with QLD and is NSW's best 17 IMO:

1. Josh Dugan
2. Blake Ferguson
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Akuila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Paul Gallen (c)
9. Robbie Farah
10. James Tamou
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Luke Lewis
13. Shaun Fensom

14. Josh McCrone (personally wouldn't select him. However Stuart obviously loves players akin to his mould in the #14 shirt, and from what I can see is one of very few options with Gidley out).
15. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Tariq Sims
17. Tony Williams

18. Glenn Stewart
19. Tim Mannah

I would have no qualms with playing Hinchcliffe in the #9, but think he just loses out as it may be a slight risk with the inexperienced McCrone at #14. No doubt Fensom is no chance, so I'd expect to see Lewis drop to lock, Stewart straight into #12. Fensom deserves it IMO. Has been the Raiders' best for nearly two seasons and is one of/if not the best defender/s in the game. Ferguson would be unlikely to make it, so I'd assume Josh or Brett Morris would come in and we'll see Hayne shift back to the wing.

Raider_69

Post Whore
You can not under any circumstances play Josh Dugan with his shoulder the way it is. Far too risky, especially without Giddley around on the bench who could have plugged in a fullback if he had to.

he's one bad hit away from being taken off and out of the game. The raiders can risk that, NSW can not.
Dugan needs to get his reco done off season (if he's absolutely intent on playing this year out) and focus on SOO 2013.

I do think Fensom should go CLOSE (maybe 18th man) for selection and if we get another injury or two in the backline, Ferguson is a really good option. But McCrone and TLL arent in the frame, and frankly thats an embarrassing NSW 17.
Its a miracle you didnt name Croker, Joel Thompson and Tilse in that side.

*shakes head*

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
And don't kid yourself Dragons fans - Creagh is not hated because he is a dragon. He is despised because he is f**king god awful shit. And unlike some Knights fans who can admit Gidley getting selected is a joke - none of you dragons fans have ever really given Creagh a rocket rant about just how shit he is at rep level.

Boganater

Juniors
That's all we need Creagh. If Creagh just put one on Hodges chin then maybe.
When Hodges hit Morris when he was injured in that club match last year Creagh was right there when it happened. He should have monstered him but all he did was shove Hodges away and yell.
We all remember his shove and retreat with Hodges after Gidley got smashed in 2010.
He's a cat, he needs more Luke O'Donnell in his game.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Luke O'Donnell? That guy was a monster. He was afraid of nothing the raging maniac. His footballing ability could have been better.

As a Dragins fan I actually don't want Creagh there. Not because I want him for club level because I don't want him wearing an Origin jersey. Theres better options.

roarr

Juniors
Farah/Hinchcliffe playing together (either one starting the other on the bench) is surely better than buderus. Especially with the lack of real utilities available. If a back goes down... move Lewis/Scott to the centres.

Jason Maher

Immortal
And don't kid yourself Dragons fans - Creagh is not hated because he is a dragon. He is despised because he is f**king god awful shit. And unlike some Knights fans who can admit Gidley getting selected is a joke - none of you dragons fans have ever really given Creagh a rocket rant about just how shit he is at rep level.

Bullshit.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I can't believe Ferguson is being mentioned as a starter. The bloke has some good games in him but he is so full of brain farts that a couple are bound to come out at critical times costing NSW big time.

You can not under any circumstances play Josh Dugan with his shoulder the way it is. Far too risky, especially without Giddley around on the bench who could have plugged in a fullback if he had to.

he's one bad hit away from being taken off and out of the game. The raiders can risk that, NSW can not.
Dugan needs to get his reco done off season (if he's absolutely intent on playing this year out) and focus on SOO 2013.

I do think Fensom should go CLOSE (maybe 18th man) for selection and if we get another injury or two in the backline, Ferguson is a really good option. But McCrone and TLL arent in the frame, and frankly thats an embarrassing NSW 17.
Its a miracle you didnt name Croker, Joel Thompson and Tilse in that side.

*shakes head*

Obviously biased, as I clearly said. And I only formulated this team as a Raiders fan. I also said I personally wouldn't select McCrone (I'd probably just go for another hooker or prop), however Ricky Stuart has always loved having a McCrone/Gidley-esque player in the #14 jumper. With Gidley gone and McCrone been selected in the Country squad EXACTLY in that role, who else would he pick? Honest question, who else could fill that role?

Dugan- Stuart loves him, Dugan himself came back early for the intention of being in the frame for Origin. As I said only if he puts together a few good performances proving that this shoulder isn't going to be an obstacle (which he has already begun with a good outing against Cronulla), and under the assumption he doesn't sustain another injury; he is an option. IMO is NSW's best fullback, slightly ahead of Stewart.

Learoyd-Lahrs: probably the most and only controversial call IMO. Yes he has had an average season thus far, however every man and his dog knows that he lives for the big games. There isn't many bigger games that SOO.

Fensom and Ferguson, yes impacted by bias but you're a Raiders fan you know what qualities they possess.

Obviously this isn't going to be the team named, but no genuine outrageous calls IMO. It's not suppose to be what he will name...

Last edited:

timka4

Bench
I can't believe Ferguson is being mentioned as a starter. The bloke has some good games in him but he is so full of brain farts that a couple are bound to come out at critical times costing NSW big time.
Agreed. The bloke can pull off some very freaky plays. But the amount of errors in his game isnt worth it when we have people like Hayne and Uate who can play on the wing with minimal errors and better attack.

1. Dugan/Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Learoyd-Lahrs
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Fensom

Interchange
14. Watmough
15. T. Williams
16. Mannah
17. T. Sims

I'm not a massive fan of Stewart at the back, he's done SFA in his games there for NSW + has dodgy knees but with Dugan's shoulder rooted and Hayne being a liability he's definitely in contention.

Gallen and Fensom to do the dirty work, allowing Bird, Lewis and Learoyd-Lahrs to cause havoc on the fringes.

Plenty of fire power on the bench, I would've like to pick a utility but I can't really think of anyone good enough for the role. Bird and Lewis are utility players anyway.

Boganater

Juniors
Ferguson is not such a crazy choice if you aren't picking Hayne on the wing.
He'd do better than Morris.
Why have all of Morris' inept displays suddenly been forgotten by everyone.
A winger with 5 games for 0 tries isn't good by any standard.

I'm not a massive fan of Stewart at the back, he's done SFA in his games there for NSW + has dodgy knees but with Dugan's shoulder rooted and Hayne being a liability he's definitely in contention.

Gallen and Fensom to do the dirty work, allowing Bird, Lewis and Learoyd-Lahrs to cause havoc on the fringes.

Plenty of fire power on the bench, I would've like to pick a utility but I can't really think of anyone good enough for the role. Bird and Lewis are utility players anyway.

Definitely whom I would go for. Lewis or Bird in the #14 role, but as I mentioned and as outrageous as it sounds I would not be surprised if Stuart opts for McCrone. Sticky likes Macca, and this was emphasised through his selection in the Country line-up for the utility role, as well as his presence at the Emerging Blues squad. He sees his future as this (possibly when he takes over at the Raiders).

Raider_69

Post Whore
Definitely whom I would go for. Lewis or Bird in the #14 role, but as I mentioned and as outrageous as it sounds I would not be surprised if Stuart opts for McCrone. Sticky likes Macca, and this was emphasised through his selection in the Country line-up for the utility role, as well as his presence at the Emerging Blues squad. He sees his future as this (possibly when he takes over at the Raiders).

urgh
McCrone in SOO... embarrassing.
Give it up

Pete Cash

Post Whore
hahaha i like a good raiders troll as much as the next one but not even a knights supporter would fall for that one.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
On a serious note the only Raider who should be playing origin is Shillington for Queensland. Dugan always gets the job done but he is crippled and Fensom is probably just on the cusp. Ferguson probably has to prove he is not a complete mentalist by playing out the year like he has played most of the games so far. He was fairly poor against the Sharks tho.

I have not once said I personally would pick him FFS! His form for the Raiders has been very good the past 12 months, and with Stuart's desire to pick a utility in #14, it wouldn't surprise me to see him there considering he was the Country's #14 (obviously at the suggestion of the NSW coach), was in the Blues Emerging squad and considering Ricky's comments regarding his admiration of McCrone recently.

Not that hard to fathom.