What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Tom Shines

First Grade
1. Brett Stewart
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Michael Jennings
4. Chris Lawrence
5. Akuila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Kade Snowden
9. Danny Buderus
10. Paul Gallen
11. Beau Scott
12. Luke Lewis
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Kurt Gidley
15. Anthony Watmough
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Tim Mannah

Mateo is for all intents and purposes a Tongan.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Agree mate, inconsistancy is his problem but on his day he is leagues ahead of those 2

On Campese's day he's 5 x the player Mullen has ever been. Mullen has never remotely looked as good as Campese in 2008. In the final 8 games of that season Campese played a level Mullen can only dream of achieving. I think Carney is NSW's best 5/8th and should be picked

if Campese is to make a run, he'll need more of what we saw against the tigers, at this stage the talk of him in origin is very premature and an indictment on quality of nsw halves.

If, and its a big if, Campese can continue to play quality football, 6. Campese 7. Carney is probably the best.

Mullen has never and imo, will never been origin standard

Should neither of Campese or Carney form demand a spot, Soward is playing well enough for another crack. We need a better halfback though.

Carney- Soward would be my early bet

Last edited:
Proven ability > Form.

As QLD have shown year after year.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

You pick the best players, as QLD do and you stick to them.

Carney and Campese are, imo, by far the most talented 5/8th's that NSW possess. We must pick at least one of them provided they aren't injured. Both are similar players but I lean towards Campese as he is a better defender, a better leader and has a bit of niggle in him.

We aren't going to beat this QLD side with Jamie f**king Soward and Mitchell Pearce in the halves together, they're solid NRL halves, nothing more nothing less.

Joker's Wild

Coach
On Campese's day he's 5 x the player Mullen has ever been. Mullen has never remotely looked as good as Campese in 2008. In the final 8 games of that season Campese played a level Mullen can only dream of achieving. I think Carney is NSW's best 5/8th and should be picked

if Campese is to make a run, he'll need more of what we saw against the tigers, at this stage the talk of him in origin is very premature and an indictment on quality of nsw halves.

If, and its a big if, Campese can continue to play quality football, 6. Campese 7. Carney is probably the best.

Mullen has never and imo, will never been origin standard

Should neither of Campese or Carney form demand a spot, Soward is playing well enough for another crack. We need a better halfback though.

Carney- Soward would be my early bet

Pffft the only thing Campese has over Mullen is size and even then the difference isn't that great. To say Mullen could never play to the same standard as Campos couple of games in 2008 is such bullshit it is laughable. I've seen Mullen absolutely destroy sides when he backs himself.

lol f**kin Raiders fans

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Pffft the only thing Campese has over Mullen is size and even then the difference isn't that great. To say Mullen could never play to the same standard as Campos couple of games in 2008 is such bullshit it is laughable. I've seen Mullen absolutely destroy sides when he backs himself.

lol f**kin Raiders fans

............and a nerve was touched.

Big Pete

Referee
Still not convinced with either at the moment.

Both were given a rough go of it at this level but neither has yet to realise their true potential at club level and both have a long list of injury problems.

At their best I would have said Campese had the superior long distance kicking game, ball playing skills and defensive game. Mullen has him covered for long passes, speed and both are pretty even when it comes to short distance kicking.

The problem is I don't think Campese is going to reach his best again, he may get close but that injury he suffered in 2010 has impacted on his game. Mullen is younger and has a much better coach guiding him. He still has a lot to prove but if given the choice I'd go Mullen at this stage.

I'd select both over Maloney.

Raider_69

Post Whore

lol f**kin Raiders fans

We can only judge based on runs on the board
happy for you to point me to a period of time where mullen was as consistant with destroying teams like Campese was at this point of his career

the only recent run of form that is in the same class was that of Hayne a year later.

Since you made the point of judging players at their best, we can only make the call based on what we've seen at this grade at their best. And Campese's best at NRL level shits on Mullen's best at NRL from very high above. Mullen has never displayed the ability to dominate the NRL like Campese did in that period.
That is a fact of life that you need to come to terms with,

Not that i think it matters anyways. Carney is the states best 5/8th and he should be the pick. Since neither Campese or Mullen are a halfbacks arsehole, they are both long shots, one longer than the other

i know knights fans like to think mullen can play there, unfortunately he cant, he's never shown the ability to be a rep quality halfback, Bennett know its, which is why he brought in Boyd so he can play Giddley at half and get Mullen the f**k out of halfback

Unless the blues decide to ditch Pearce and play Carney at half, then neither are a look in imo

Last edited:
And Anasta was complete and utter shit in the majority of them.

Get over it champ. Mullen isn't in the same league as Carney, Campese or even Mitchell Pearce. Nobody really, most in particular the selectors, rates him.

Sure, Campese's most noteworthy form has come mainly from the back end '08 where he had the ball pretty much on a string, but it's better than being known only for taking one f**king drop kick in place of Andrew Johns

Joker's Wild

Coach
Fact of life? lol

Mullen killed the Titans in 2009 with one of the best running games I have seen from a 5/8. He ran through prop forwards to score one of the best individual tries you'll ever likely to see. He was unstoppable.

He is easily Campo equal at worst but lets be honest here, he is far better when he switches on. Deal with it

Raider_69

Post Whore
OK so you've got a period of one game.

Campese was the most dominate player for half the season in 2008. When has Mullen dominated the league for a period longer than one game?

If we're being honest, you would be admitting that Mullen has never done what campese done in 2008. You want to compare them at their best, Mullen at his best has never dominated like Campese did at his best. Deal with it.

chrisD

Coach
No-one should be talking about Lawrence. J. Morris or Hayne with B, Morris to wing are both better options. If Gordon was fit, Stewart, Gordon, Hayne, Jennings, Uate would be the best combination (assuming Stuart would never pick Hayne at FB).

Halves have got some games to sort themselves out, hopefully Carney starts dominating, he has the most pure talent. Mullen is easily in Campese's league, for natural talent he probably has it over him, and neither are close to Carney. The problem is, they're all 5/8s, neither Mullen or Carney are 7s, so I don't think combining 2 of them will work.

Just watched a Jarred Mullan highlights package on Youtube, as I generally don't notice him much (he goes missing for the majority of the game).

lol. Absolutely dog average. If this nuffy gets a game (highly doubtful in the first place), it's QLD 7 in a row.

Joker's Wild

Coach
OK so you've got a period of one game.

Campese was the most dominate player for half the season in 2008. When has Mullen dominated the league for a period longer than one game?

If we're being honest, you would be admitting that Mullen has never done what campese done in 2008. You want to compare them at their best, Mullen at his best has never dominated like Campese did at his best. Deal with it.

Nope he has failed in consistency over the years, its been his weakness no doubt. He has remedied that this year though and It'll speak for itself come Origin time.

Having a few good games 4 seasons ago means little in the here and now, especially when those few good games are massively over hyped and end in a collapse mid finals. Campo has done absolutely nothing since

Big Pete

Referee
Campese's domination was 08 domination was overrated. Yes, it was a good run of form but when he came up against any good sides (Storm, Sharks, Broncos) he welted. Heck, he was beaten by the Cows.

But yeah I can't remember a similar run of form.

JW have you got your games mixed up? I just had a brief look through my year book to jog my memory and Mullen wasn't that great in either. In fact, he lost the first game and started off the bench in the second.

Pete Cash

Post Whore

lol f**kin Raiders fans

lol he is certainly a much better defender than Mullen.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Campese's domination was 08 domination was overrated. Yes, it was a good run of form but when he came up against any good sides (Storm, Sharks, Broncos) he welted. Heck, he was beaten by the Cows.

But yeah I can't remember a similar run of form.

JW have you got your games mixed up? I just had a brief look through my year book to jog my memory and Mullen wasn't that great in either. In fact, he lost the first game and started off the bench in the second.

We completely fell to bits in 08 with injury. Typical Raiders. I seem to recall we had some pretty makeshift sides.

He was also pretty strong in 10. People forget he was a bit part of the Raiders late season come back. Him and Dugan combined really well. Then we all know what happened against the Tigers.