What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I THINK he might have even won the greenhouse player of the year in 2010 or Dugan got him by a point. Either way he was very good in 2010. Mostly the backhalf obviously but the team wasn't going great itself up to that point.

Campese was brilliant in '10, especially the back end of the season. The semi against the Panthers was the best I think I've ever seen him play.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Just watched a Jarred Mullan highlights package on Youtube, as I generally don't notice him much (he goes missing for the majority of the game).

lol. Absolutely dog average. If this nuffy gets a game (highly doubtful in the first place), it's QLD 7 in a row.

lol Campo doesnt even have a highlights package. Speaks volumes

JW have you got your games mixed up? I just had a brief look through my year book to jog my memory and Mullen wasn't that great in either. In fact, he lost the first game and started off the bench in the second.

Youre right, it was 2008, the same year he decimated the Cows twice and the lolRaiders in rd 1
lol he is certainly a much better defender than Mullen.

When Mullo has 2 intact shoulders he is one of the best defencive halves in the game

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Nope he has failed in consistency over the years, its been his weakness no doubt. He has remedied that this year though and It'll speak for itself come Origin time.

Having a few good games 4 seasons ago means little in the here and now, especially when those few good games are massively over hyped and end in a collapse mid finals. Campo has done absolutely nothing since

it was you who wished to judge them on their "best", not me.
and now that doesnt suit you because its been proven that Mullen at his best has never gotten within cooee of what Campese achieved at his best, so you want to move the goal posts. Those few games are more than Mullen has achieved to date that was the criteria you wished to judge it on. Campese might not have done anything since 2010, but that sure as hell beats Mullen who hasnt dont anything period.

Im happy to judge them on their play here in 2012. And for mine talk of Campese playing Origin is premature. Im on record as saying so.
He is still some way off his best.

Mullen isnt playing well enough and tbh hasnt for years, to warrant consideration for Origin.

Big Pete

Referee
We completely fell to bits in 08 with injury. Typical Raiders. I seem to recall we had some pretty makeshift sides.

He was also pretty strong in 10. People forget he was a bit part of the Raiders late season come back. Him and Dugan combined really well. Then we all know what happened against the Tigers.

It's just a matter of semantics. For me, Andrew Johns was a dominate player because he was the difference between his side and any others. Campese was just the difference between the Raiders and every other middle of the road/Origin affected side.

But yeah people do forget his 2010 form which was pretty good in the back end. I thought the Raiders had a really good side that year though and the only aspect that was letting them down for the majority was their halves pairing. I still remember that disgraceful performance they put in against the Cows...probably one of the most pedestrian halves efforts I've seen.

Raider_69

Post Whore
as ive said a number of times

Todd Carney is the states best 5/8th. And he should be picked if fit and healthy.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
There was a run of about three games where we lost to the Cowboys (as you mentioned), the Tigers and the Bulldogs and we were actually pretty good as far as field position went but just so wasteful with the ball in the halves. It was a very frustrating three weeks. The win against Manly that turned the season around would come like only a few weeks after that.

Joker's Wild

Coach
it was you who wished to judge them on their "best", not me.
and now that doesnt suit you because its been proven that Mullen at his best has never gotten within cooee of what Campese achieved at his best, so you want to move the goal posts. Those few games are more than Mullen has achieved to date that was the criteria you wished to judge it on. Campese might not have done anything since 2010, but that sure as hell beats Mullen who hasnt dont anything period.

Im happy to judge them on their play here in 2012. And for mine talk of Campese playing Origin is premature. Im on record as saying so.
He is still some way off his best.

Mullen isnt playing well enough and tbh hasnt for years, to warrant consideration for Origin.

lol no mate. Mullos best game was far better than anything Campo has displayed. Thats what "best" means to me, not how many times you can string above average games together.

I agree, neither should be considered at this stage given how both havnt been consistently good of late

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Go and watch Raiders V Penrith, 74-12 or something. Then find me a game where Mullen was that good.

Ill save you the trouble, it doesnt exist.

Now where do the goal posts move next?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Go and watch Raiders V Penrith, 74-12 or something. Then find me a game where Mullen was that good.

Ill save you the trouble, it doesnt exist.

Now where do the goal posts move next?
Penrith were so poor that night, Jeff Robson could have dominated them

Newie v Nth Qld 2008

Anything else?

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Mullen debuted for the blues after just 31 games of NRL as a 20 year old. No matter which way you spin it (no other choices blah blah blah) that says something about his ability.

Mullen debuted after 31 nrl games because of the wankfest in the media at the time, and failed, and he's done f**k all since to warrant another game.

Talk of campese is too pre-mature, if he keeps playing like he did last week then who knows what the selectors will do, at worst he'll put a spanner in the works.

Another bit of information some might have forgotten, 3 of the 4 mentioned halves were raiders juniors

He is having a laugh surely ?

Just a very lame attempt to troll IMO. I've seen some pretty bad attempts from these inbred Newie hicks, but this probably takes the cake. It seems, unfortunately, that life continues to troll them.

Oh and Campese > Mullen btw

McCrone >>>> Mullen as well, whilst we're comparing players.

Louiethefly

Juniors
Soward is the incumbent and deserves a spot in the halves for game one at least, and it's not like he's been playing poorly for the Dragons this year either. He has improved with every game last year, and in game 3 he was one of our only players trying to spark anything at all, on top of setting up the match sealer in game 2.

With hopefully Buderus in the 9, and someone who isn't Mini playing at fullback I think our 'spine' will be a lot more potent anyway, If i was a selector picking a side right now, It would be built around these players.

1. Stewart
6. Soward
7. Pearce
8. Gallen (c)
9. Buderus
14. Carney

Raider_69

Post Whore
Carney is back why are we even discussing who else would be the 6?

Carney should be the first half picked. Trouble is pearce has been awful and given carney can genuinely play a #7 role I think there is a good chance tears where he plays. Which obviously opens up the 5/8th spot.

As said carney-soward is the early front runner

Last edited:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm not really fussed who they pick as 5/8 because we have a lot of depth there. Same as fullback. It's the 7 and 9 we need to sort out. Ennis and Pearce just don't cut the mustard.