What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

joseph1

Juniors
Maloney pisses on the likes of Soward and Mullen - he is built for Origin - tough uncompromising attitude, no fear of the big occasion, guided his team to GF last year, will get under QLD skin and actually be tough (unlike Ennis - the perennial wuss and cheap shot artist of the nrl).

Dragon2010

First Grade
By now with Origin fast approaching Ricky Stuart, Gus Gould and the clueless selectors will be sitting down and starting to discuss the combinations, players and style they want in Origin this year. I think with Gus on board we still be a stronger squad he can provide the boys with a few tips and some good words to get their minds on track. Gus is the most successful NSW coach after all and there's no denying he did something right do achieve that.

Why have we lost so many series and what have we done wrong?

1) A stupid bunch of selectors who cry after we loose one game and cut and change the team. No team bonding and development builds and we start with a new structure each time.

2) A bunch of useless nuffies that have cost us games with brain explosions and stupid mistakes. Not going to name any but there is a few that have turned the tide of the game. (Ennis and co.)

3) Our forwards (Pre-2011) never used to get the ball rolling hard enough and we we're never meter eaters like we used to be. We need hungry front-rowers who want to tear QLD a new asshole and do their workload rack up the meters, take the hit-ups and have a never say die attitude. FIeld position and meters gained is massive in Origin.

4) Lack of play-makers in key positions and no luck with injuries (Dugan, Jennings, Hopoate and more).

It's time NSW got their act together, fixed things and bought back the winning NSW culture (Which some of us will remember) and competitiveness in Origin football, they bring back the passion and pride we once had and come back to stop the rot.

So we start with this. Who should be definite selections?

1) Gallen. The guy is an absolute machine, a leader on the field and an absolute workhorse. Brings great leadership and plays at a benchmark to lift the team. If he plays like he did in Game II he will no doubt have a great series.

2) Lewis. Again another leadership role and his Utility value is unreal. You can tell when he is on the field he just helps leads people around the park, cuts the crap and get's the job done. The way he gets involved and stand's up come Origin time is awesome.

3) Gidley. As much as people laugh at him. Him coming off the bench in the hooker position or elsewhere might be good for us. *Touch Wood* he is also good injury cover if a player drops in a certain position.

4) Bird. Forget his club form. Don't measure him on that. Bird brings to an Origin squad what a side needs. A strong player that get's meters, is quick off the foot and has good ball skills. We all know Bird steps up come Origin time so no doubt he will do great in the Sky-Blue.

A combination of youth and leadership will be evident in this years Origin squad. Much like last years which one of the closer series and had we played a stronger defensive game in Game I we would have surely sealed the series. Unfortunately though. We did not. With that in mind. What squad can we expect? It's going to be a massive series no doubt. Closer then ever.

First of all though at the time of writing this who's currently injured or suspended:

- Dugan 5 weeks. He should be back in time for Game I if he gets the fullback role like Game I last year. Will he back in form and playing good footy though?

- Williams. 6 weeks. Suspended for 7 weeks for a hit on DeGois. While it's possible he will be eligble for selection it will be his first game in 7 weeks. And as Gallen said in the presser today "He's a destroyer. You don't put him in the middle to tackle you put him there to wreck havoc and be a strong attacker. If he stays fit no reason he can't be selected"

With that in mind. What kind of team can we expect and who is the best player we can have in each position?

1.Dugan (Or else Stewart is Dugan still injured) - Both guys are gun and strong attacking players. Run the ball and give us the X-Factor we need from the back.
2. B.Morris - If his 2012 form continues he might actually play a great Origin game this series. He just has to play like he is in his current FB role. Because who else can we seriously choose?
3. Jennings - (Because he is a gun)
4. Hayne - He is a gun anywhere in the backs. Put him in centre and let him play his natural game. Strong attacker, good leadership skills, great kicker and defense.
5. Uate - This guy will cause QLD headaches. Each time he touches the ball he looks deadly. His defense has improved under Bennett just hopefully Bennett did not tame his agression.
6. Maloney (gk) - Carney and Soward are an option but let's aim for a better and stronger player. Someone who is a genuine attacking half and runs the ball, gets meters and is able to set-up tries and truly change the tide of a game. He is also a great kicker and if he plays his usual game will cause QLD a pain in attack.
7. Mullen/Pearce - Who will get this jersey? Mullen look instilled with confidence under Bennett but Pearce is well Pearce and Stuart loves him. Either way Pearce is a solid player and we could pick worse. Mullen is the preferred though with his running game.
8. Gallen (C) - No explanation needed for this guy. Gallen is a machine. Gallen is superman.
9. Buderus - Ennis and Farah have shown nothing this season to ask for an Origin jersey. Give it to the best hooker NSW have avaliable. He's one of the best modern hookers of all time and no doubt under Bennett would have learnt a few things. Great defense, leadership good from dummy-half and he can read plays like a pro.
10. TLL - Aggressive, strong, mean, passion....all the traits of a true Origin player. If he can web together a few strong games let him play. He will kill it and rack up meters.
11. Lewis - A great utility player as well. Lewis brings a combination of leadership and skill. With his "I'll lead the way boys" attitude he will get people moving and up in the game when the going get's tough. The tough get going.
12. Scott - Great defender and the enforcer we need in Origin incase Thirdmanin decides to chuck a Spaz. He brings some strong running and defensive tactics to.
13. Bird - Again. He always steps up a level in Origin. Plays with 100% pride and never gives up.

14. Mannah - I think he will be here. Good prop rotation and good leadership as well.
15. Watmough - He's a grub no doubt. But he's a damaging forward. He's fast, he's mean and light on his feet, with his quick footwork around the ruck and out-wide he will be sure to gain us some serious meters.
16. T. Williams - Stuff his tackling. He knows how to tackle but that's not his job here. His job is to run the ball like a maniac and smash the QLD defense with aggressive running game. His ban will hurt but I'd still play him. I think he's ready.
17. Kidley - Great utility value incase anyone drops due to injury (Or Inglis eating them) and can play hooker for a bit to give Bedsy a breather.

We need a team that can defend, offers strong attack and skill in attack. We need to fire with fire we have the skill and combos to beat QLD we just have to choose the right people, have the right mind-set and everything. This is our series for the taking!

Fordy20

Juniors
I stopped reading after Gus. I can't think of a more overrated coach or a more repellent commentator.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Croker is still a little way off origin.
Might be a smokey for City v Country and see how he goes there

MrCrone isnt rep quality

Campese isnt a bad choice if he can continue improving toward his best, would mean moving carney to halfback which is fine imo.

fensom's injury has taken him out of the game, which will hurt NSW. Not that i think he would have been selected but if fit he should be.

TLL is a given and Joel Thompson imo is a genuine smokey

Dragon2010

First Grade
I stopped reading after Gus. I can't think of a more overrated coach or a more repellent commentator.

Overrated? Yes.
Annoying commentator? Yes.

He somehow manages to get a few words of confidence in and help lift a team a bit. Still I think he's a moron and he was blessed when he NSW coach with a high-depth talent pool and players like Johns and so forth.

This is embarassing, it was one win (albeit a good one)...lets see what they do this week and next before calling for the nsw raiders...

Pazza

First Grade
This is embarassing, it was one win (albeit a good one)...lets see what they do this week and next before calling for the nsw raiders...

I love how the grand finalists of 2011 and their NSW eligible players such as the Stewart bros, Lyon, Watmough, Williams, Maloney and Mateo, pale in comparison to the players running around for the Raiders! A club who's best result in the last five years is coming 6th.

By now with Origin fast approaching Ricky Stuart, Gus Gould and the clueless selectors will be sitting down and starting to discuss the combinations, players and style they want in Origin this year. I think with Gus on board we still be a stronger squad he can provide the boys with a few tips and some good words to get their minds on track. Gus is the most successful NSW coach after all and there's no denying he did something right do achieve that.

Why have we lost so many series and what have we done wrong?

1) A stupid bunch of selectors who cry after we loose one game and cut and change the team. No team bonding and development builds and we start with a new structure each time.

2) A bunch of useless nuffies that have cost us games with brain explosions and stupid mistakes. Not going to name any but there is a few that have turned the tide of the game. (Ennis and co.)

3) Our forwards (Pre-2011) never used to get the ball rolling hard enough and we we're never meter eaters like we used to be. We need hungry front-rowers who want to tear QLD a new asshole and do their workload rack up the meters, take the hit-ups and have a never say die attitude. FIeld position and meters gained is massive in Origin.

4) Lack of play-makers in key positions and no luck with injuries (Dugan, Jennings, Hopoate and more).

It's time NSW got their act together, fixed things and bought back the winning NSW culture (Which some of us will remember) and competitiveness in Origin football, they bring back the passion and pride we once had and come back to stop the rot.

So we start with this. Who should be definite selections?

1) Gallen. The guy is an absolute machine, a leader on the field and an absolute workhorse. Brings great leadership and plays at a benchmark to lift the team. If he plays like he did in Game II he will no doubt have a great series.

2) Lewis. Again another leadership role and his Utility value is unreal. You can tell when he is on the field he just helps leads people around the park, cuts the crap and get's the job done. The way he gets involved and stand's up come Origin time is awesome.

3) Gidley. As much as people laugh at him. Him coming off the bench in the hooker position or elsewhere might be good for us. *Touch Wood* he is also good injury cover if a player drops in a certain position.

4) Bird. Forget his club form. Don't measure him on that. Bird brings to an Origin squad what a side needs. A strong player that get's meters, is quick off the foot and has good ball skills. We all know Bird steps up come Origin time so no doubt he will do great in the Sky-Blue.

A combination of youth and leadership will be evident in this years Origin squad. Much like last years which one of the closer series and had we played a stronger defensive game in Game I we would have surely sealed the series. Unfortunately though. We did not. With that in mind. What squad can we expect? It's going to be a massive series no doubt. Closer then ever.

First of all though at the time of writing this who's currently injured or suspended:

- Dugan 5 weeks. He should be back in time for Game I if he gets the fullback role like Game I last year. Will he back in form and playing good footy though?

- Williams. 6 weeks. Suspended for 7 weeks for a hit on DeGois. While it's possible he will be eligble for selection it will be his first game in 7 weeks. And as Gallen said in the presser today "He's a destroyer. You don't put him in the middle to tackle you put him there to wreck havoc and be a strong attacker. If he stays fit no reason he can't be selected"

With that in mind. What kind of team can we expect and who is the best player we can have in each position?

1.Dugan (Or else Stewart is Dugan still injured) - Both guys are gun and strong attacking players. Run the ball and give us the X-Factor we need from the back.
2. B.Morris - If his 2012 form continues he might actually play a great Origin game this series. He just has to play like he is in his current FB role. Because who else can we seriously choose?
3. Jennings - (Because he is a gun)
4. Hayne - He is a gun anywhere in the backs. Put him in centre and let him play his natural game. Strong attacker, good leadership skills, great kicker and defense.
5. Uate - This guy will cause QLD headaches. Each time he touches the ball he looks deadly. His defense has improved under Bennett just hopefully Bennett did not tame his agression.
6. Maloney (gk) - Carney and Soward are an option but let's aim for a better and stronger player. Someone who is a genuine attacking half and runs the ball, gets meters and is able to set-up tries and truly change the tide of a game. He is also a great kicker and if he plays his usual game will cause QLD a pain in attack.
7. Mullen/Pearce - Who will get this jersey? Mullen look instilled with confidence under Bennett but Pearce is well Pearce and Stuart loves him. Either way Pearce is a solid player and we could pick worse. Mullen is the preferred though with his running game.
8. Gallen (C) - No explanation needed for this guy. Gallen is a machine. Gallen is superman.
9. Buderus - Ennis and Farah have shown nothing this season to ask for an Origin jersey. Give it to the best hooker NSW have avaliable. He's one of the best modern hookers of all time and no doubt under Bennett would have learnt a few things. Great defense, leadership good from dummy-half and he can read plays like a pro.
10. TLL - Aggressive, strong, mean, passion....all the traits of a true Origin player. If he can web together a few strong games let him play. He will kill it and rack up meters.
11. Lewis - A great utility player as well. Lewis brings a combination of leadership and skill. With his "I'll lead the way boys" attitude he will get people moving and up in the game when the going get's tough. The tough get going.
12. Scott - Great defender and the enforcer we need in Origin incase Thirdmanin decides to chuck a Spaz. He brings some strong running and defensive tactics to.
13. Bird - Again. He always steps up a level in Origin. Plays with 100% pride and never gives up.

14. Mannah - I think he will be here. Good prop rotation and good leadership as well.
15. Watmough - He's a grub no doubt. But he's a damaging forward. He's fast, he's mean and light on his feet, with his quick footwork around the ruck and out-wide he will be sure to gain us some serious meters.
16. T. Williams - Stuff his tackling. He knows how to tackle but that's not his job here. His job is to run the ball like a maniac and smash the QLD defense with aggressive running game. His ban will hurt but I'd still play him. I think he's ready.
17. Kidley - Great utility value incase anyone drops due to injury (Or Inglis eating them) and can play hooker for a bit to give Bedsy a breather.

We need a team that can defend, offers strong attack and skill in attack. We need to fire with fire we have the skill and combos to beat QLD we just have to choose the right people, have the right mind-set and everything. This is our series for the taking!

Pretty good team. I'd make amfew changes tho. Firstly I would never play Hayne on the right side, it's not his natural side and he's no where as effective on that side as he is on the left. Switch him to left wing and take Morris out. Although he's been excellent at fullback, if he is to be selected, that's exactly where he should be selected. Lawrence even tho he's been below average should be given the right centre spot, he's a real good distributor of the ball and that's something we need because Uate is lurking outside him, and also a very good defender. Scott and watmough's selections can also be question for fensom and Tariq sims. Both of which offer sillmikwr styles. Mannah has been underfire this year too, but he's a proven origin performer however I would be keen to take a peek at tim grant. And TLL should b shifted to the bench and replaced with either mannah/grant.

Last edited:
:lol: What bullsh*t. Campese needs a heap more massive performances to be any chance of replacing the incumbent. Benji was about as lost as his team-mates last night, hardly a true indicator.

lol @ mentioning the incumbent.

The incumbent was only there because Campo was injured anyway. Incumbency doesn't really count for much when you lose.

Now that Campo's started running the ball i'm confident Ricky will pick him.

Hutty1986

Immortal
lol @ mentioning the incumbent.

The incumbent was only there because Campo was injured anyway. Incumbency doesn't really count for much when you lose.

Now that Campo's started running the ball i'm confident Ricky will pick him.

Of course, you are. They throw on a lime green shirt & you assume they're "certainties"

The only thing certain about throwing on a lime green shirt is that the player wearing it will experience many victories over those wearing red v shirts.

D

Deleted member 10972

As far as I am concerned, the players that MUST be picked, when fit, are:

Hayne (wing/fullback)
Jennings (centre)
Uate (wing)
Gallen (prop)
Learoyd-Lahrs (prop)
Lewis (backrow)
Bird (backrow)

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Choc should be in that must list. Him and Gallen have been daylight the best NSW forwards in the last 3 years.

True, not sure of the relevance of club regular season matches to a SOO thread though

Just throwing it out there. I know it must be painful for you to live in the ACT and watch your team get pumped every time they come to town. Just jump on the green wagon mate.

One thing that is relevant pertaining to that is the fact Campese outplays the NSW incumbent every time they meet.

betcats

Referee
^Maybe true but we went closer to winning a series with Soward at 6 then we have for a long time so he deserves his status as incumbent, not saying he can't be played out of his position though, Campo will have to impress for more then just next week to do it.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Just throwing it out there. I know it must be painful for you to live in the ACT and watch your team get pumped every time they come to town. Just jump on the green wagon mate.

One thing that is relevant pertaining to that is the fact Campese outplays the NSW incumbent every time they meet.

:lol: Any pain I feel watching the Saints play once a year at Canberra Stadium pales in comparison to what it must feel to be a Raiders fan.

Your precious Campese has plenty left to prove to even be considered a genuine chance of selection.