What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

RABK

Referee
TLL should still come into consideration if he performs for Canberra in the next couple of weeks.

When even Gallen was going busted against QLD for a couple of years only TLL and Watmough were actually going forward and bending the line. He's a proven Origin performer more than any other genuine NSW prop.

RABK

Referee
I think Merrin and Mannah are my two must be there props.

Id personally have Snowden there too. I have no idea why he's been overlooked, he's been so good for us and is in career best form.

Then I guess it's gonna be Tamou there...

Snowden is a Stuart and Gallen favourite but Merrin, Hunt and Weyman dominated him the other week and i think Stuart may have been turned of him there....

Raider_69

Post Whore
TLL should still come into consideration if he performs for Canberra in the next couple of weeks.

When even Gallen was going busted against QLD for a couple of years only TLL and Watmough were actually going forward and bending the line. He's a proven Origin performer more than any other genuine NSW prop.

i would agree but unfortunately his CvC game was so incredible invisible, i think he's out.
Unless he has some absolutely barnstormers for us and demands selection... im not confident.

the back row is our strength, Gallen is the best front rower in the game when he plays there. I say stick him there and put more talent into the backrow

Jono078

Referee
Snowden is a Stuart and Gallen favourite but Merrin, Hunt and Weyman dominated him the other week and i think Stuart may have been turned of him there....
Snowden took their whole forward pack on single handily! They ganged up on him and knew he was our main source of go forward.

Snowden's needed in origin IMO.

RABK

Referee
Needed is a stretch lol. He was so damn underwhelming in his Origin chance, hugely disappointing. Hard to forget and forgive.

Jono078

Referee
I can't really remember, I was watching the game in the early hours while overseas.

But as I said, he's in career best form and he's been making good metres and man handling front rowers this year.

Snowden, Gallen, Merrin, Tamou/Mannah/Weyman will work well I think.

Big Pete

Referee
I just hope NSW doesn't make the mistake of picking Woods.

Not that he threatens me but to me it'd be silly to blood another young prop who's best is still yet to come. It'd just be Merrin 2011 all over again.

Snowden is a decent option but he doesn't need to be there. The only Blues player who really needs to be there is Gallen & the likes of Bird, Hayne & Watmough to varying degrees. Snowden hasn't achieved anything in Origin except for giving Qld the opportunity to take their first clean sweep in 15 years. It's just Newcastle jibber jabber.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Love Snowy and think he's an awesome prop, but I don't think he's quick and mobile enough to make good metres in Origin. He won't get the time to wind up his runs like at club level

Weyman is a great prop for the Dragons, but he's always been a big target for QLD to smash.

TLL, Tamou and a makeshift prop in Watmough, are probably the only props that I have confidence in making some good metres. TLL will have to lift his A game these next few weeks, though.

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
I concur with everything in the above post. I'm assuming Kidley will be there, though I wouldn't pick him myself in a month of Sundays.

Pretty fair assumption ATM that Buderus not Robbie gets the 9 (on form) Also assume Uate gets his jersey, that means no real need for Shitley to fill the "token novacastrian" role

meltiger

First Grade
I can't really remember, I was watching the game in the early hours while overseas.

But as I said, he's in career best form and he's been making good metres and man handling front rowers this year.

Snowden, Gallen, Merrin, Tamou/Mannah/Weyman will work well I think.

What about young Tollman?

Looking forward, we have the makings of some pretty decent depth up front.

Mannah, Tollman, Sims, Merrin, Tamou, Snowden, Woods.... We are actually starting to look like strong. Forgot TLL too

Let's us push Gal back into position as an added bonus.

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
I just hope NSW doesn't make the mistake of picking Woods.

Not that he threatens me but to me it'd be silly to blood another young prop who's best is still yet to come. It'd just be Merrin 2011 all over again.

r.

Agree. We have an outstanding kid at the Tiges in Woods but not ready for Origin yet

anjado

Juniors
Weyman along with Ben Creagh should never play Origin again just look at City vs Country, Weyman got smashed constantly. In his previous origin appearances he couldn't even make a dent in the Queensland defensive line at all.

Weyman is a good club player who isn't cut out for Origin he has no footwork or ball skills. He isn't a giant so he can't run in a straight line and expect to succeed.

NSW front row options should be

Mannah
Merrin
Gallen
Tamou
Douglas
Grant
Snowden (heading to Weyman territory)
Tolman
Woods
Learoyd-Lahrs

There are plenty of other front row options for NSW. Weyman,King and Kite should never be considered again they have proven time and again they are not up to that level.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Gallen is best used starting in 13, then after 20 mins, rest the first prop, bring on Watmough/Stewart/Bird to play lock for 60.

Gallen then plays the rest of the game @ Prop.

The other two props then share the remaining time.

So for an example.

Snowden amd Weyman start.

After 20 Snowy replaced by Watmough.

After 30 Weyman replaced by Snowy.

After 60, Snowy replaced by Weyman.

Gives us a chance to use Lahrs wide when he comes on for a second rower, or in case of injury, 4th prop.

FTR Lahrs is my first prop chosen, but to be used off the bench, Hopefully with a license to run wide.

RABK

Referee
Weyman 30 minutes straight in Origin Mr Angry? His teammates would be rolling him back onside after 20 minutes :lol:

Jason Maher

Immortal
We have plenty of good young props - Merrin, Mannah, Hunt, Snowden, Woods, Tamou, Tolman. We also have a few a bit older - Weyman, TLL, White, Douglas, Galloway. The problem is, the only one of those names with significant Origin experience is TLL, and even he's been in and out of the team. Basically we're at a point where we have to trust in the ability of our players and give some of them a decent run in the team. We won't begin to match Queensland's go forward if we keep chopping and changing and sitting players on the bench getting splinters in their arse.

RABK

Referee
I think Merrin is the most outstanding young talent we have - in 2 years time he'll be starting for Australia. He is the only must pick prop IMO.

Raider_69

Post Whore
haha they ganged up on poor widdle snowy
classic :lol:
Its not fair sir, they were picking on me!

Snowden isnt pressing his claims very well. Like TLL he has been given chances and blow them. He'll have to lift his game beyond that of his club form if he wants to play origin. Probably 4-5 front rowers ahead of him and TLL. Thats not including Gallen and Woods (who should be ahead of him but i favour holding him back for 12 months, throw him an 18th man spot to show he's close)

Dragon2010

First Grade
I think Merrin should be our "Young gun". But Tamou will be there to. With the likes of Carney, Williams and Sims getting picked there is a few on debut as well. So there will be a range of exp and fresh blood. We need to try keep a strong structure and build to last year so we have majority of the team from last year while making necessary changes.

Gallen, Bird, Watmough, Pearce, Hayne, Gidley, Uate, Jennings, Lewis. These are the players from last year. Many of them we can build a foundation on and pick and stick to for many years to come and develop a consistent team.