What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 NSW soo side..

Tigger Madness

Juniors
1. Brett Stewart
2. Brett Morris
3. John Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Akuila Uate
6. Todd Carney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Trent Merrin
9. Mitch Rein
10. Tim Mannah
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Glenn Stewart
13. Paul Gallen

14. Greg Bird/Luke Lewis
15. Tariq Sims
16. James Tamou
17. Tony Williams

Gallen goes to prop at first interchange, gives us 3 big men to start with.

As least we know John Morris will give 100% at centre...

Stick

Juniors
I think the synergy of the Morris twins together provides more than their individual contributions (or perhaps I'm blinded by Roy and HG's adulation of them when they played together at the dragons). That said, they're far from proven.

Besides, wingers like Uate and Hayne don't need an uncanny connection with their respective centres to prove a threat. The concern is the defensive combination and I don't think Jennings can cover Inglis on the wrong side of the field. Lawrence would be more capable.

I like the idea of Gallen starting at lock to maximise pack size in the opening exchanges.

1 BStewart
2 Hayne
3 Jennings
4 Lawrence
5 Uate
6 Carney
7 Pearce
8 Mannah
9 Hinchcliffe
10 Learoyd Lahrs
11 Lewis
12 GStewart
13 Gallen

14 Farah
15 Tamou
16 Watmough
17 Bird

That bench is too light but I'm not convinced there are better alternatives. I hate Bird but his ability to play #6 if desperate means his stocks have risen with the loss of Gidley.

Downie

Guest Moderator
The concern is the defensive combination and I don't think Jennings can cover Inglis on the wrong side of the field. Lawrence would be more capable.

Yeah, I was unsure about this when thinking about the team. You'd think if both Morris twins were picked they'd play on the same side, but given both Josh and Jennings are left-sided centres it could be a problem. Going for Lawrence on the right side makes a lot more sense but I've never 100% been convinced by him. I do like the overall look of your backline compared to mine earlier, so I'm gonna change to that.

RABK

Referee
Brett Stewart
Jarryd Hayne
Michael Jennings
Chris Lawrence
Akuila Uate
Todd Carney
Mitchell Pearce
James Tamou
Ryan Hinchcliffe
Tim Mannah
Luke Lewis
Glenn Stewart
Paul Gallen

Robbie Farah
Anthony Watmough
Tony Williams
Tariq Sims

I'm liking the Gallen to start at lock suggestion. I think 2 of Bird, Creagh, Watmough and Lewis are going to miss out to accommodate the impact of Stewart, Sims and Williams. Though i'm not sure we'll see Williams and Sims, i think they are competiting for the same spot with Williams the front runner.

The props on form would have to be Merrin and Tamou. But i'm thinking Mannahs incumbency will get him the gig ahead of Merrin. Weyman is the only other contender in Stuarts book from what i can see.

Overall i like the idea of starting with two big boppers upfront, Gallen at lock and Hinchcliffe at hooker to try and dominate the first 20 before switching Gallen to prop and rotating impact through our bench with the likes of Farah, Williams, Watmough and Sims to open the game up on the fringes.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Thats not a bad team there, im not sold on Lawrence. He's been garbage most of the year.
Mannah has runs on the board at this level so even though he's been ordinary most of the year (has picked it up significantly in the last fortnight)

I think we can get by with that front row given that Tomou and Mannah can play big minutes, and we can push Gallen into the front row at times, as well as Watmong being able to handle the middle

Brett Stewarts defense at the back worries me but he looks to be getting his pace back, if he has a big game against the raiders, it would ease my mind (as a blues fan, its the last thing i want to happen as a raiders fan)

Farah, tbh i think if he's playing, you start him and play him for 80 minutes, i dont think his game is suited to a bench role

the rest looks good imo
Any team that doesnt have both Williams and Sims on its benchis kidding itself.

RABK

Referee
Dunno if Farah can play 80 minutes of Origin - tigers fans?

I think Lawrence is the anti Morris Brother. Whatever his club form he is classy enough to produce the goods at rep level surrounded by quality players. Josh and Brett could have 100 tries between them by round 10 and they'd still turn to shite if selected for Origin.

That second centre position is definitely one of the huge selections though.

Last edited:

Ladmate

Bench
Lawrence has been meh for the Tigers but he has never played bad in a rep game, so if he is selected I am confident he will do well.

On Farah, he can definetely come off the bench. He has an unmatched attacking arsenal from hooker, he can attack the QLD defense in many ways. A fresh Farah on struggling forwards can turn the game around, think Slater and Cronk off the bench but on a lower scale.

Spot On

Coach
Brett Stewart
Jarryd Hayne
Michael Jennings
Chris Lawrence
Akuila Uate
Todd Carney
Mitchell Pearce
James Tamou
Ryan Hinchcliffe
Tim Mannah
Luke Lewis
Glenn Stewart
Paul Gallen

Robbie Farah
Anthony Watmough
Tony Williams
Tariq Sims

I'm liking the Gallen to start at lock suggestion. I think 2 of Bird, Creagh, Watmough and Lewis are going to miss out to accommodate the impact of Stewart, Sims and Williams. Though i'm not sure we'll see Williams and Sims, i think they are competiting for the same spot with Williams the front runner.

The props on form would have to be Merrin and Tamou. But i'm thinking Mannahs incumbency will get him the gig ahead of Merrin. Weyman is the only other contender in Stuarts book from what i can see.

Overall i like the idea of starting with two big boppers upfront, Gallen at lock and Hinchcliffe at hooker to try and dominate the first 20 before switching Gallen to prop and rotating impact through our bench with the likes of Farah, Williams, Watmough and Sims to open the game up on the fringes.

Brilliant team RABK. Personally I'd like to see Merrin on the bench and that would be my only change. So one of the backrowers would miss out. I don't care much for either centre but I really couldn't care who they go with there. If the props win their battle we go very, very close to winning. Fingers crossed.

RABK

Referee
Brilliant team. But would it be wise to start with Tamou?

If you're watching him tonight then it's a big yes. He's in outstanding form.

Mannah and Tamou can play 35 minutes in two stints each and produce huge workloads. Gallen can play the other 60 minutes at prop with a 10 minute cameo by Watmough or Sims.

We don't need 3 props, let alone 4.

Dragon2010

First Grade
If you're watching him tonight then it's a big yes. He's in outstanding form.

Mannah and Tamou can play 35 minutes in two stints each and produce huge workloads. Gallen can play the other 60 minutes at prop with a 10 minute cameo by Watmough or Sims.

We don't need 3 props, let alone 4.

Oh I'm watching mate. Tamou and Sims are tearing us to shreds. They both have to be there for Origin.

I'm not doubting I just had the thought "Starting on debut as prop in Origin" mentality and think would it be wise. No doubt he's a class player. Sims is killing it to. He's a machine tonight definetly looks like he's playing for a jersey.

RABK

Referee
Sims is sending a message - "pick me and i'll have Thurston and Cronk second guessing themselves at every second"

On the negative - Matt Scott is showing outside Gallen he is the worlds best forward. Damn he's good.

RABK

Referee
Also i get what you are saying re starting on debut. But my side stands, switch Tamou to the bench for Watmough if need be.

Dragon2010

First Grade
No doubt. I wasn't saying change it was just asking re Tamou. Your team is ideal. Yeah. I have a feeling Sims is sending that message no doubt he will be able to cause QLD plenty of headaches. With Williams and Watmough our bench will have tons of strike-power. Will be a pure impact bench.

Scott is brilliant I have no doubt we can do our best to contain him well.

timka4

Bench
I like the Hinchcliffe, Farah idea with Hinch starting the first 20-30 minutes on as hooker and I'd have Farah play out the rest of the game. Bring Hinch back on later as a backrower.
Abit like the Young / Ennis experiment except Farah coming on will actually provide attack from dummy half.

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen (c)
9. Hinchcliffe
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Lewis

14. Farah
15. Mannah / TLL
16. Sims
17. Williams

Tweed Titan

Bench
Tim Mannah had a very strong first half, went off and then the Eels got blown away. Does not get put on his back and a strong, safe carry.

RABK

Referee
I like the Hinchcliffe, Farah idea with Hinch starting the first 20-30 minutes on as hooker and I'd have Farah play out the rest of the game. Bring Hinch back on later as a backrower.
Abit like the Young / Ennis experiment except Farah coming on will actually provide attack from dummy half.

1. Stewart
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Lawrence
5. Uate
6. Carney
7. Pearce
8. Gallen (c)
9. Hinchcliffe
10. Tamou
11. Bird
12. Watmough
13. Lewis

14. Farah
15. Mannah / TLL
16. Sims
17. Williams

Glenn Stewart WILL be there, I guarantee it.