What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Halves 6 T Carney 7 S Johnson

Rich102

Staff member
JAMES MALONEY has revealed he joined the Warriors as a last option only because he thought it was his final hope of making it in the NRL, but now the five-eighth is considering staying beyond next season, when his contract expires.
Maloney, who previously had a stint with Parramatta, was playing behind Cooper Cronk and Brett Finch at Melbourne in 2009 when his manager Wayne Beavis phoned to tell him the Warriors were interested in signing him.
The 25-year-old's response was to tell Beavis he would move to Auckland only if he had to and would prefer to play for any other NRL club.

''I was sort of reluctant,'' Maloney said. ''It was a club I always said I'd never go to.''
Asked why he was so opposed to the move, Maloney - one of four Australians in the Warriors grand final side - explained it had nothing to do with the club but had more to do with having to shift overseas.
''I suppose it wasn't based on anything much other than not knowing anything about it and obviously the travel every two weeks and all that sort of stuff,'' he said. ''But since I got over there I have loved it. Everything has turned to gold for me over there, and I wouldn't change anything. It has been home for two years and it will be home for another one - at least.''
But, along with Cronk, Maloney is set to be one of the most sought-after players in the NRL when he comes off contract next season and he has received several approaches this year from rival clubs, believed to include South Sydney and the Eels, before the Warriors took up a 12-month option on his services.
''I obviously don't want to look too much into [it] now,'' he said. ''There is too much going on but in the off-season I will catch up with Wayne Beavis and we'll sit down and look at what is best for us going forward. But I am definitely there next year and enjoying my time there, so, we will see what happens after that.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ant-warrior-20110929-1kzf8.html#ixzz1ZOXbJX2H

Sounds a bit more promising.
If the Warriors let him go they deserve the spoon.

TheDMC

Bench
^ With his mentor Cleary moving on, the likelihood that at best the Warriors will only be able to offer slightly more than other club's bids, and Maloney's heart n family being in Australia - could be impossible for the Warriors to hold on to him.

Point of difference may be how well he and the club fares under Bluey in the early part of next season...

Sure hope he stays...

hitman82

Bench
I'm hoping Maloney busts the NSW side next year - would certainly give him motivation to stay with the club which took him there.

Micistm

Bench
Too far off to worry about atm...for now we have a GF and have him here at least another year under Bluey.
Judging by the snippet on Carney in this weeks RLW...he hasn't learnt much...

what ever

Juniors
just another thought here.... you are all talking about Maloney possibly leaving if money is thrown at him yet no one thinking about money getting thrown at Johnson. After all money does talk, and would Johnson not be in demand!
Money talks and you can not blame any player going for what's offered to them. They only have a short time on top after all.

Last edited:

devoid

Juniors
I think the point is, Johnson is locked up for the next two seasons, and Maloney only for the next 1 - plus, Maloney has a desire to move back to SYD, whereas Shaun is from Auckland, and thus, not homesick.

hitman82

Bench
Haha nice.

So yeah, 2013 halves combination:

6 Thomas Leuluai
7 Shaun Johnson

Looks ok to me. I've been thinking about the combination after watching TL play for the Kiwis and I think it will work out nicely.

What really stands out is TL has Maloney's aggression in defense, but can actually effect the tackle. He's a really strong defender for a half and this will tighten up our somewhat dodgy Tupou / Inu / Mannering flank.

With Friend at hooker, Mateo in the second row and Johnson's boss level creativity at 7, all we really need is a solid, consistent and intelligent 6 who can carry out their role without having to be too flashy. Leuluai fits this description in my opinion.

The main attributes we lose with Maloney is his extremely competitive nature, his communication, his goal kicking and his long kicking game. I don't know Leuluai's game well enough to comment on all these aspects, but I think his vast top level experience will be an added bonus for Johnson's development.

Just on this - I assume Krisnan Inu would be our new goal kicker?

devoid

Juniors
Hmm... I think SJ will become the kicker. I do like TL's play, and he is similar to Maloney. He doesn't have the long kicking game (Maloney's, while erratic, can be a good one) and he doesn't have Maloney's speed. I know Bluey has signalled Carlos Tui for centre, but I think he is the one for the job long term -- has the kicking game, has the passing game, has the speed -- is only 19. I know PW doesn't rate him there (yet?), but he's now a two time 20s winner, a Junior Kiwi in the position, and as good a 5/8 prospect going as any out there. I just prefer:

6. Tuimavave
7. Johnson

...as our long term halves.

Bring Feki back to develop as our other centre.

Izz

Bench
Haha nice.

So yeah, 2013 halves combination:

6 Thomas Leuluai
7 Shaun Johnson

Looks ok to me. I've been thinking about the combination after watching TL play for the Kiwis and I think it will work out nicely.

What really stands out is TL has Maloney's aggression in defense, but can actually effect the tackle. He's a really strong defender for a half and this will tighten up our somewhat dodgy Tupou / Inu / Mannering flank.

With Friend at hooker, Mateo in the second row and Johnson's boss level creativity at 7, all we really need is a solid, consistent and intelligent 6 who can carry out their role without having to be too flashy. Leuluai fits this description in my opinion.

The main attributes we lose with Maloney is his extremely competitive nature, his communication, his goal kicking and his long kicking game. I don't know Leuluai's game well enough to comment on all these aspects, but I think his vast top level experience will be an added bonus for Johnson's development.

Just on this - I assume Krisnan Inu would be our new goal kicker?
One of the things i really like about Leuluai is his ability to organize a team. Pretty much the only times we looked like we had any structure during 4N was when he was on the field. Maloney only really stepped up his team organizing during Johnson's second stint in FG.

Johnson's a pretty handy goalkicker, too.

hitman82

Bench
It depends how Carlos goes at centre. If he really goes well there (as I expect he will) then he will cement himself in the position long term. Good centres are something we seem to struggle with, and Thomas Leuluai is obviously a very experienced half. We aren't going to sign the guy to sit on the bench as Friend's back up, particularly when we have Godinet.
Actually, I would happily put money on TL starting in the 6 for 2013...

devoid

Juniors
It depends how Carlos goes at centre. If he really goes well there (as I expect he will) then he will cement himself in the position long term. Good centres are something we seem to struggle with, and Thomas Leuluai is obviously a very experienced half. We aren't going to sign the guy to sit on the bench as Friend's back up, particularly when we have Godinet.
Actually, I would happily put money on TL starting in the 6 for 2013...

Oh, I agree with you -- I'm sure Leuluai will start 2013 as our 6, but I would prefer to Tuimavave developed for it, rather than centre. Also, I like Leuluai out of 9, but hopefully that is not an option. I think Friendy will go great.

devoid

Juniors
One of the things i really like about Leuluai is his ability to organize a team. Pretty much the only times we looked like we had any structure during 4N was when he was on the field.

Yep, agree. He was close to our best. I haven't watched much ESL, so I can't really compare his form at 6 for Wigan.

Rich102

Staff member
OK. I will post my bolter for the No6.
Jordan Meads.
Reads a game well, can beat a man, kicks well, great defence.
You heard it here first.:)

hitman82

Bench
OK. I will post my bolter for the No6.
Jordan Meads.
Reads a game well, can beat a man, kicks well, great defence.
You heard it here first.:)

Interesting proposition! It's probably also worth noting that, according to recent history, players with the initials J.M. have a far greater chance of being the Warriors 6 than players with the initials T.L.
Jordan Meads is a likeable character too. And everyone knows rugby league is 90% personality, 10% violence.