What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Jersey, Logo, Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

Juniors
Personally I love the Australian jersey, but the training gear is awful!

I'd love to buy a kangaroos singlet, but instead of making them geen and gold, y'know, like the team colours, they're grey and navy with fluro green trimming!

And they wonder why people wear Wallabies gear to roos matches...

Patorick

Staff member
Big call.

Best International Rugby League Jersey, easily.

Even with the VB eyesore.

100%green

Juniors
Personally I love the Australian jersey, but the training gear is awful!

I'd love to buy a kangaroos singlet, but instead of making them geen and gold, y'know, like the team colours, they're grey and navy with fluro green trimming!

The Wallabies stuff is usually Navy and Gold. It has only really been Green and Gold in WC years.

CCC had greys and navy, Kooga is now doing the same.

They have to change it up to keep selling it. The Kangaroos gear is growing more and more each year. This years range is the best in recent memory.

First Grade
The Wallabies stuff is usually Navy and Gold. It has only really been Green and Gold in WC years.

CCC had greys and navy, Kooga is now doing the same.

They have to change it up to keep selling it. The Kangaroos gear is growing more and more each year. This years range is the best in recent memory.

Up untill 1984 blue and gold were actually Australias national colours and Green and gold were only sporting colours.

Patorick

Staff member
There's about 10 different shades of green and gold being used now (across all the sports).

Pierced Soul

First Grade

that fluro green was a shocker, i wanted to buy stuff too but wont wear fluro green shit...

no excuses for this that yawnion shit can f**k off. you're better off wearing a cardboard box instead of wannabies gear

beave

Coach
The fluro piping on all the roos merch is disgraceful. I was gonna buy a heap of gear for the match up here next weekend but will be only buying a jersey now.

Actually it was designed in the 1920's. It should stay the same as it did when it was first worn

The V design is not from the 1920s. In the 1921-22 Kangaroo Tour the "Australiasian" team wore "sky blue jerseys and navy blue shorts... [t]he badge was a big "A" surmounted with the fern and kangaroo in red, blue and black, the colours of Queensland, NSW and New Zealand". (The Kangaroos, Ian Heads, p. 48). On the 1929-30 tour the Kangaroos wore "gum leaf green and wattle gold" (Heads, p. 59), but as the photo of captain Tom Gorman shows (Heads, p. 60) it was the hooped design.

Here's a team photo from that year:

awtl1.jpg

The first Kangaroo touring party to wear that double chevron was the 1933 team. There is a lovely clear photo on p. 78 of Heads' book of Ray Stehr in the green and gold (chevron) with white collar. This is the same photo (with other crap superimposed):

$(KGrHqV,!hEF!jsPqRMiBQYkgNimE!~~60_35.JPG

England toured in 1932. I bit of a googling has showed up this photo of the 1932 Australian team:

400px-Kangaroos_1932.jpg

It's a bit blurry, but if you zoom up you can see the chevron. There is also a photo of Herb Steinohrt on p. 88 of "Captaining the Kangaroos" by Alan Whiticker that shows the chevron, with the badge reading "Rugby League, 1932". And to be completely anal about this, the 1932 photo of Steinohrt shows the chevron being reasonably shallow, the middle vertex being about halfway down the coat of arms, whereas the 1933 Stehr photo shows a very deep chevron the bottom point of which touches the shorts.

I looked up the Sydney Morning Herald for 7 June 1932 (the day after the first test) to see if there was any mention in the story, which there wasn't. As trivia, it did note, however, that "'Dally' Messanger, great player of other days, kicked off and was given a great reception by the crowd while both teams cheered him". How great would that have been?

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/1156185?zoomLevel=1

Anyway, my conclusion is that the "traditional" Australian jersey dates from 6 June 1932.

Last edited:

gzerounian

Juniors
Hi all just been experimenting with some wests tigers designs. Trying to get the Magpies represented more than they have been in the past (apart from some heritage designs I truly think they have been left out). It's not hard to have both Tigers and Magpies represented equally as you can see. Hope you like.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST THESE UP FOR ALL TO SEE

oi50.tinypic.com/a4tlz8.jpg

oi46.tinypic.com/nqzdz6.jpg

oi50.tinypic.com/oqlund.jpg

Actually it was designed in the 1920's. It should stay the same as it did when it was first worn

I am not trying to annoy you by the way, and I really do agree that the Australian jersey should stay the same. But since I am looking stuff up, I thought it would be interesting to look at variations to the jersey over the years:

1933:
1933_Human-Bullet_h580.jpg

1956:
Clive-Churchill.jpg

1963:
20120620023121_Johnny-Gleeson.jpg

1982:
1982%20rlw%20%20(73).jpg

2008:
595182-dtstory-darren-lockyer.jpg

The jersey is always in a state of flux, with the basic design staying the same. It isn't quite like when it ws first worn.

GAZF

First Grade
I hate how the current logos sit above the V. Whats wrong with a shield?

I hate how the current logos sit above the V. Whats wrong with a shield?

As long as they stick with the Coat of Arms and not go back to this faux-t of arms (cup being held instead of shield, superimposed on an Austrlia made of boomerangs):

_38132215_rlaus_final_298.jpg

Always thought this looked pretty ordinary. While on the topic, also hate it when the badges on the left (above) are centred against the badge on the right, instead of the two main (non-sponsor) badges being aligned. Origin jerseys are shocking for this.

For example:

1soo-premium-jersey.png

To my mind the Origin shield on the left should be aligned with the NSW arms on the right. Looks a mess.

Zigwaa

Bench
Hi all just been experimenting with some wests tigers designs. Trying to get the Magpies represented more than they have been in the past (apart from some heritage designs I truly think they have been left out). It's not hard to have both Tigers and Magpies represented equally as you can see. Hope you like.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST THESE UP FOR ALL TO SEE

oi50.tinypic.com/a4tlz8.jpg

oi46.tinypic.com/nqzdz6.jpg

oi50.tinypic.com/oqlund.jpg
a4tlz8.jpg

nqzdz6.jpg

oqlund.jpg

gzerounian

Juniors
i hate it how the "v" has slowly turned into a "y" like the lockyer pic above. A few years ago they couldn't even match the green on the shorts with the green on the jersey and it looked horrible….at least they have fixed that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts