What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Jersey, Logo, Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepbender

Juniors
Smearing a giant logo over the body (which will be obscured by sponsor logos) is a bad way of going about it. Titans have made this approach and have one of the least liked design in the league.

Iconic doesn't necessarily mean classic. However, a simple design can still suggest the brand its associated with. Kind of what I was getting at with the ragged V.

Speak for yourself, I think the Titans jersey was a vast improvement on the inaugural one, and is actually quite well done. Sure it doesnt have the same appeal as the heritage clubs simplistic/classic designs. But I like the way the colours are used, gradients if used in the right way, can be successful.

There are people who are die hards for classic designs, and others who like the modern approach, Im open to both. The only jerseys that have been absolutely shocking (ignoring poor sponsor integration) recently is the obvious Knights home jersey, and the last 3 Warriors jerseys, aside from the current one. Current Cowboys home is by far the best of the recent changes.

Im not sold on the Pirates jerseys so far, I do like them, but I think more could have been done.. I would have preferred a Red home jersey too..

innsaneink

Referee
I just oh so much luuurrrve the dark patches on the soles of the socks....bwilliant!!!
Abtholutely bwilliant

GAZF

First Grade
I love the second one, would love to see it as our home kit and also worn in away games where there is no clash.

They're all bloody brilliant but that second one down's a real winner.

The more I think about it, the more I like the Broncos wearing predominantly gold. Maybe the gold could be worn most games and the maroon as a dark clash. So...

Gold/Maroon - Primary (most home/away games)
Maroon/Gold - Secondary (away vs light coloured teams)
White/Gold - Clash alternate (away vs Manly)

Pretty great designs Gazf, respects the history of the club really well.
Would only want collar but can't see Nike doing that for us anyway.

Any chance on adding all the sponsors on one of them just to get a proper idea?

The collar I'm using is based on an Umbro collar used for Man City though I'd have the actual collar sit higher on the neck like how ISC has done them. The retro uses the mock collar the All-Blacks which I'm a big fan of, you'll see more of that in future concepts.

Sponsors are one of the most time consuming aspects of these designs, having to track down an image and then trace (if required) them is a major pain in the arse. What's worse is that the minor sponsors change constantly so I've cut it down to the single sponsor. Might come back to it when I have time but the amount of work I plan to get out over the summer means that its not likely in the near future.

Speak for yourself, I think the Titans jersey was a vast improvement on the inaugural one, and is actually quite well done. Sure it doesnt have the same appeal as the heritage clubs simplistic/classic designs. But I like the way the colours are used, gradients if used in the right way, can be successful.

There are people who are die hards for classic designs, and others who like the modern approach, Im open to both. The only jerseys that have been absolutely shocking (ignoring poor sponsor integration) recently is the obvious Knights home jersey, and the last 3 Warriors jerseys, aside from the current one. Current Cowboys home is by far the best of the recent changes.

Im not sold on the Pirates jerseys so far, I do like them, but I think more could have been done.. I would have preferred a Red home jersey too..

Its a valid argument to like that style but from what I've heard, particularly after I mocked up the more traditional design, a majority of Titans fans don't like their current set. The problem with using complex elements like the Titans have is that they've also slapped a giant orange billboard over the top of it, whats the point? And for the record, the inaugural Titans design stank as well.

Modern designs are fine; the Cowboys, Broncos and Warriors (minus the piping) have modern but clean designs. They wouldn't look out of place in the league in 10 years time. The Tigers (particularly their away), The Knights actual home jersey and the Titans have modern but convoluted messes which look worse given the amount of sponsors at present, these are made to be replaced every few years which clubs do continually. I feel bad for their fans.

GAZF

First Grade
Hey GAZF, reckon you can whip up an away Bears jersey based on their 94/95/96 design?

I have an entire Bears set pretty much done with 2 retro jerseys, not including the one you want. I want to limit the amount of designs per team to four as I have over 20 teams I want to get done and additional designs are going to bog me down. I might do requests once I've finished.

sheepbender

Juniors
Its a valid argument to like that style but from what I've heard, particularly after I mocked up the more traditional design, a majority of Titans fans don't like their current set. The problem with using complex elements like the Titans have is that they've also slapped a giant orange billboard over the top of it, whats the point? And for the record, the inaugural Titans design stank as well.

Modern designs are fine; the Cowboys, Broncos and Warriors (minus the piping) have modern but clean designs. They wouldn't look out of place in the league in 10 years time. The Tigers (particularly their away), The Knights actual home jersey and the Titans have modern but convoluted messes which look worse given the amount of sponsors at present, these are made to be replaced every few years which clubs do continually. I feel bad for their fans.

So, your only against the watermarked swords on the jersey, but your ok with the overall design of the jersey and the use of colours?
I did quite like your ideas for the Titans, although the sand colour didnt work for me.

But tbh, I wouldnt want all 16 teams having traditional jerseys, or having a V. I like the modern takes on jerseys, it keeps things fresh, and it does work on the odd occasion. Im not a fan of the current Broncos jerseys, like others, I prefer that the current Heritage and the previous Heritage be used as the home and away. Your 2nd jersey above is great too.. The Knights jersey would not be helped by less sponsors.. It would be better without the extra Red breast lines..

I agree with everyone else though, you should be working for a manufacturer, ISC, Canterbury, KooGa, Nike, Adidas etc, because you've got great ideas.

applesauce

Bench
Jesus GAZF they are phenomenal! I sent them through to the Broncos marketing department so they could see what the fans want. I know they are getting a new jersey next year so it will be a while before they see the light of day if they take it on board, but hopefully they listen to the fans.

GAZF

First Grade
So, your only against the watermarked swords on the jersey, but your ok with the overall design of the jersey and the use of colours?
I did quite like your ideas for the Titans, although the sand colour didnt work for me.

But tbh, I wouldnt want all 16 teams having traditional jerseys, or having a V. I like the modern takes on jerseys, it keeps things fresh, and it does work on the odd occasion. Im not a fan of the current Broncos jerseys, like others, I prefer that the current Heritage and the previous Heritage be used as the home and away. Your 2nd jersey above is great too.. The Knights jersey would not be helped by less sponsors.. It would be better without the extra Red breast lines..

I agree with everyone else though, you should be working for a manufacturer, ISC, Canterbury, KooGa, Nike, Adidas etc, because you've got great ideas.

Titans sleeves are ok, anything beneath them and above the socks is a mess. The pit panels break up the sidepanels which do not match the shorts. This is what the sidepanels were meant to look like.

titans-jersey.jpg

This is how the on-field product ended up.

00017055-image.jpg

A whole lot of clashing elements.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If I recall correctly, the first season of that strip was as the first image you posted. They then added shoulder adidas lines and the weird blue side bits to cut down the yellow.

GAZF

First Grade
If I recall correctly, the first season of that strip was as the first image you posted. They then added shoulder adidas lines and the weird blue side bits to cut down the yellow.

00004891-image.jpg

I think the player cut is different to the replica.

Trentosaurus

Juniors
Player cut is definitely different to the replica. The blue sides panels don't appear on the replica ones. I'm not sure of their exact purpose but they're a functional thing for the players, not a design element.

GAZF

First Grade
Jesus GAZF they are phenomenal! I sent them through to the Broncos marketing department so they could see what the fans want. I know they are getting a new jersey next year so it will be a while before they see the light of day if they take it on board, but hopefully they listen to the fans.

I get the feeling that they would have confirmed a design already if they are changing.

Player cut is definitely different to the replica. The blue sides panels don't appear on the replica ones. I'm not sure of their exact purpose but they're a functional thing for the players, not a design element.

I guess they're for ventilation.

LESStar58

Referee
Since a lot of concepts are getting posted at the moment, I thought I'd add my two cents on the Broncos.

1_-BRI_Pri-980x392.jpg

2_-BRI_Sec-980x392.jpg

3_-BRI_Clash-980x392.jpg

4_-BRI_Retro-980x392.jpg

White comes back into the fold as an accent colour. I combined a yoke with the simplified of the retro jersey, came out looking like Qld from the 90's which was coincidental. The clash is a bit jarring but would only be worn on the rare occasion of a clash such as against Manly at Brookvale.

1. Home games - Primary
  2. Away games - Secondary
  3. Away games - (dark clash) - Clash
  4. Away games - (light clash) - Primary
  5. Games against Knights and Titans - Retro (one game against one team per year)

That heritage jersey is very nice!

GAZF

First Grade
Given that the "NRL Premiership" logo looks better than expected I might put that into the concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts