What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Jersey, Logo, Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
WT's are in a difficult position of having to come up with a new identity that is different from Wests and Balmain. I don't think the answer is just to have alternative Balmain and Magpies jerseys, they do need to come up with a brand that says "Wests Tigers", but the vast majority of their jerseys have been shocking and poorly thought out.

Fans like jerseys that are identifiable as jerseys, think Easts, St George, Souths etc. These have evolved over the years as icons of the game.

WT's need to do something in that vein, work with their fans and come up with a set of jerseys that will be iconic and stick with them.

MatthewA

Juniors
Some of the Bulldogs 2013 training range as modelled by T-Rex

Source: Bulldogs Twitter account

trex2013.jpg

_Johnsy

Referee
WT's are in a difficult position of having to come up with a new identity that is different from Wests and Balmain. I don't think the answer is just to have alternative Balmain and Magpies jerseys, they do need to come up with a brand that says "Wests Tigers", but the vast majority of their jerseys have been shocking and poorly thought out.

Fans like jerseys that are identifiable as jerseys, think Easts, St George, Souths etc. These have evolved over the years as icons of the game.

WT's need to do something in that vein, work with their fans and come up with a set of jerseys that will be iconic and stick with them.

This just shows that WT do have geniuss running the club.

Jersey A ? Tigers traditional V one, just incorporate the Maggies white into the black V of the old Balmain jersey.
Jersey B ? Magpies traditional V one, just incorporate Orange into the white V of the old maggies jersey.

Jersey C ? They can come up with whatever crap they want for the 3rd jersey. Being one would be predominately black and one orange they would have no need for a 3rd jersey.

innsaneink

Referee
The entire visual brand is a disaster and it starts with the logo. They've pigeonholed themselves with an overdetailed logo and they feel compelled to match their look to the logo. They need to look at the recent rebrands of the Dogs and Eels. The Panthers are also looking at a rebrand and if the Tigers were to do so, that would all West Sydney teams returning to more popular looks.

Agree on the logo....I hate the fact it 2D, with an invisible fold straight down the middle so each lateral side is exactly the same as the other

The Bulldog, on an angle gives depth and reality...looks great, a mock up of Panthers logo similarly while not as good as the Dogs was a big imptrovement on the flat 2D image like ours

Well said.
I think WTs think $$$ before football on just about every single issue though....thats our problem, were a franchise, a business that plays footy....current CEO has very very little RL knowledge despite being from a footy family and having played 1st grade, hes a businessman, a poor CEO, and was a terrible footballer.

Fire

First Grade
f**k T-Rex has got a fat head.

Anyways, some sharp things re: the Tigers jersey said by everyone. Seriously, you Tigers fans should petition your club.

hrundi99

First Grade
This just shows that WT do have geniuss running the club.

Jersey A ? Tigers traditional V one, just incorporate the Maggies white into the black V of the old Balmain jersey.
Jersey B ? Magpies traditional V one, just incorporate Orange into the white V of the old maggies jersey.

Jersey C ? They can come up with whatever crap they want for the 3rd jersey. Being one would be predominately black and one orange they would have no need for a 3rd jersey.

You're missing the point of the poster above you.

They are not Balmain or Wests, they are the Wests Tigers, and they need to develop their branding as a separate entity, with the heritage strips and events the tip of the hat to the JV club's histories.

The club has support far and wide, and have a large number of young supporters who know virtually nothing about Balmain and Wests and frankly, don't care.

They have to cater to the major part of their market, not just the minority of footy tragics with rose coloured glasses.

Having said that, a number of the designs have been forgettable. I think their best strip was one I had a vicarious part in designing (being part of the merch team), and that's the 2008 main strip.

Last year's main jersey was pretty ordinary but supposedly it was a big seller, so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

GAZF

First Grade
You're missing the point of the poster above you.

They are not Balmain or Wests, they are the Wests Tigers, and they need to develop their branding as a separate entity, with the heritage strips and events the tip of the hat to the JV club's histories.

The club has support far and wide, and have a large number of young supporters who know virtually nothing about Balmain and Wests and frankly, don't care.

They have to cater to the major part of their market, not just the minority of footy tragics with rose coloured glasses.

Having said that, a number of the designs have been forgettable. I think their best strip was one I had a vicarious part in designing (being part of the merch team), and that's the 2008 main strip.

Last year's main jersey was pretty ordinary but supposedly it was a big seller, so beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thats not to say that pre existing elements should be ignored. Having separate Tigers and Magpies jerseys is a divisive but combining previous elements tactfully is doable, especially so with both sides of the merger having similar styles through the years. 2008-10 wasn't a great design but it was the best balance the merger has struck in terms of colours. If they combined that with traditional styling then they would have a timeless look befitting of two 100+ year old clubs.

Hrundi, would you know how well actual heritage jerseys sell with Tigers fans? The Tigers are a popular team and I think that their jerseys would sell well regardless of design, negating the issue of money to management.

New Leeds jersey. Not a fan of the stripes on the sleeves being at a different hight to the hoops on the body of the shirt. Looks out of balance.

They're going to go mental here with the side panels...

2013_home_kit_rdax_529x285.jpg

drake

First Grade
One thing that stands out to me when going to a Tigers game is the variety in the orange they've used since 2000. Some are almost safety vest fluro, others close to the traditional gold.

GAZF

First Grade
New Leeds jersey. Not a fan of the stripes on the sleeves being at a different hight to the hoops on the body of the shirt. Looks out of balance.

They're going to go mental here with the side panels...

2013_home_kit_rdax_529x285.jpg

They could thin out the thickest stripe and shift it down the sleeve. I like the mock collar, hope to see more of it in league. Regarding the side panels, completely unnecessary but at least the chest stripe is still visible (Eels).

One thing that stands out to me when going to a Tigers game is the variety in the orange they've used since 2000. Some are almost safety vest fluro, others close to the traditional gold.

The current orange is woeful, a complete deviation from their identity.

Dogs Of War

Coach
For the love of God, just use these, and never change from them again.

NRL-WST-1-300x205.gif

NRL-WST-2-300x205.gif

Again, all credit to Gazf.

Love those, it's what the Tigers should be using. Enough to hint at where they came from, while still showing they are a proper joint venture going forward.

mattyf

Juniors
"Tiger- Cats" lol. What a stupid f**kin name

Its like calling a team "Snake-Reptiles"

Stupid Canadians

Just to set the record straight, those of us who are fans of the CFL know that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are a merger of the former CFL clubs of the Hamilton Tigers and the Hamilton Cats. The merger took place in 1950.

Status
Not open for further replies.