What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Junior Reps (Harold Matts & SG Ball) plus other news

DummyHalfScoot

Juniors
Spoke to Taane's manager on the weekend and he said that Taane's last game for NYC is this Thursday then he will be committed to school Rugby until August. He has already been told he will be involved in the 4 nations Rugby tournament at the end of the year so his Rugby League for the season is done after Thursday.

It is part of their scholarships that the school allows them to play league during term 1 and now they are in the first XV their participation is compulsory. Mind you he is speaking to the Roosters to see if he can squeeze in a final series with the NYC if his schedule permits. It is a big load on a young players then throw in the HSC, it would be tough.

Tucantango

Juniors
Spoke to Taane's manager on the weekend and he said that Taane's last game for NYC is this Thursday then he will be committed to school Rugby until August. He has already been told he will be involved in the 4 nations Rugby tournament at the end of the year so his Rugby League for the season is done after Thursday.

It is part of their scholarships that the school allows them to play league during term 1 and now they are in the first XV their participation is compulsory. Mind you he is speaking to the Roosters to see if he can squeeze in a final series with the NYC if his schedule permits. It is a big load on a young players then throw in the HSC, it would be tough.

Ah we'll there goes two of my U/18's selections! Awesome to be selected for the 4 nations and possibly a once in a lifetime UK tour! You wouldn't miss it for quids if you were Tepai or Taane!

junior fan

Juniors

DHS I honestly hope his manager isnt trying to squeeze in another game. The GPS comp ends in early Sept. (not August anymore with the new 2 round comp) with only a week break before the home 4 nations championships. So there is only one week to work with.

Also very interesting to hear his manager say he has already been selected for the team. There is a 6 man panel from ARU NSW, QLD and ACT who select the team and while he would be a good chance to make it there will be enough competition to make NSW I's with Tepai, Harry Jones, Andrew Kellaway amongst a host of others vying for those spots. Then add the QLD, vic boys and some combined boys and it will be very tough competition to make Aus A and Aus teams.

I would hope his manager would be concerned about the amount of footy he will play rather finding more footy for him. Given with ball/NYC and trials he would have already played about 16 games there are 14 games of GPS including trials and GPS rep games before OZ Schools games for NSW another 4. That's 34 games without counting 4 nations and from what I've been told he is also participating in the OZ schools league championships. Given there is another 4 and assume they will play trials in the lead up he will already be 40 - 45 games and that doesn't even include the possibility of the UK tour.

Taane is definitely a talent and as you mentioned DHS he already has the HSC this year. I hope sanity prevails for all involved and he doesn't burn out or worse risk serious injury from playing too much.

Tucantango

Juniors
... ... ... ... Also very interesting to hear his manager say he has already been selected for the team. There is a 6 man panel from ARU NSW, QLD and ACT who select the team and while he would be a good chance to make it there will be enough competition to make NSW I's with Tepai, Harry Jones, Andrew Kellaway amongst a host of others vying for those spots. Then add the QLD, vic boys and some combined boys and it will be very tough competition to make Aus A and Aus teams.
... ... ... ...
Taane is definitely a talent and as you mentioned DHS he already has the HSC this year. I hope sanity prevails for all involved and he doesn't burn out or worse risk serious injury from playing too much.

JF,

I hear what you're saying with respect to being parachuted into any of the Oz teams but it does occur, especially when given the close alignment the ASRU has with the ARU . I am ultimately talking about the very astute Manu Sutherland!

Last year I was attending the NSWCCC rugby union trials and on the final day, surprise, surprise, Halauafu Lavaka turns up! He had two awesome halves of rugby. Within minutes of completion Lavaka was approached by Manu, and a 10 minute conversation ensued, and of course I was intrigued because here was a confirmed league player talking to the ARU's top recruitment man!

Well to cut a long story short, Manu gave Lavaka a commitment that he would see that Lavaka was selected for one of the Australian teams provided he pursued rugby that year instead of league. Well everyone knew that Lavaka would go down the league path as he didn't move from Bass High (and the Bulldogs) to Pats Blacktown (and Panthers) for no reason. Needless to say he made the Australian Schoolboys!

Another example, if my memory serves me correctly was Jim Stewart! In 2011 was injured and couldn't participate in the NSWSRU trial (and was not selected in a team) but went on to be selected for Australia A courtesy of Manu I'm surmising.

Tuc

junior fan

Juniors
JF,

I hear what you're saying with respect to being parachuted into any of the Oz teams but it does occur, especially when given the close alignment the ASRU has with the ARU . I am ultimately talking about the very astute Manu Sutherland!

Last year I was attending the NSWCCC rugby union trials and on the final day, surprise, surprise, Halauafu Lavaka turns up! He had two awesome halves of rugby. Within minutes of completion Lavaka was approached by Manu, and a 10 minute conversation ensued, and of course I was intrigued because here was a confirmed league player talking to the ARU's top recruitment man!

Well to cut a long story short, Manu gave Lavaka a commitment that he would see that Lavaka was selected for one of the Australian teams provided he pursued rugby that year instead of league. Well everyone knew that Lavaka would go down the league path as he didn't move from Bass High (and the Bulldogs) to Pats Blacktown (and Panthers) for no reason. Needless to say he made the Australian Schoolboys!

Another example, if my memory serves me correctly was Jim Stewart! In 2011 was injured and couldn't participate in the NSWSRU trial (and was not selected in a team) but went on to be selected for Australia A courtesy of Manu I'm surmising.

Tuc

Hey Tuc

Didn't know about Lavaka was aware with Jim Stewart, although as you rightly pointed out he was injured and couldn't compete also should be noted he committed to rugby so no surprise. While I'm slightly surprised Taane could be selected already and it be made public to choose a player who is seemingly committed to league and looking to get back in league ASAP as his school rugby commitments are done is what surprises me the most.

Understand with Manu and Ben involved they can do it but would have imagined as you suggested with Lavaka that with Taane's future seemingly decided in the way of league he wouldn't be a walk up start.

Tucantango

Juniors
JF,

I know it's off the topic but I believe the ASRU team backline will be dominated by NSW players and should figure like this:
11. Milne/Tuttle (QLD)
12. Moeroa
13. Milne/Tuttle
14. Jones
15. Kellaway

The Scrummie and Fly Half positions are up for grabs from a number of candidates including Lussick. And given that Duncan Puipaa is now in the U/20's Broncos team it is anybody's guess who will get them!

junior fan

Juniors
JF,

I know it's off the topic but I believe the ASRU team backline will be dominated by NSW players and should figure like this:
11. Milne/Tuttle (QLD)
12. Moeroa
13. Milne/Tuttle
14. Jones
15. Kellaway

The Scrummie and Fly Half positions are up for grabs from a number of candidates including Lussick. And given that Duncan Puipaa is now in the U/20's Broncos team it is anybody's guess who will get them!

Appreciate your thoughts. Tuttle would have to partner Moeroa being Aus A captain in the centres and in the touring team last year the others were either OZ Schools or A reps which leads me back to the same point. With only one starting spot realistically left in the side, Milne the only non incumbent of those named and seemingly/near inevitable going to league why would Manu or Ben guarantee him a spot? Got me beat.

Then if he makes League OZ Schools which clash with union 4 nations which way will he go?

Tucantango

Juniors
Well the first game in the Matts semi-finals went according to the script with the invincible Bunniesmgoing through to what is definitely their trophy next week! However the the first semi in SG Ball was anything but predictable!

The Panthers have %#*#* annihilated the Dragons. It was purely a case of either the Panthers playing sublime football or the Dragons only sending out the 'goalkeeper' for the entire game. I will let you guess which one! LMFAO!!!

What a shit couple of days for all Dragons supporters :(:(:(

magpie4ever

First Grade
Well the first game in the Matts semi-finals went according to the script with the invincible Bunniesmgoing through to what is definitely their trophy next week! However the the first semi in SG Ball was anything but predictable!

The Panthers have %#*#* annihilated the Dragons. It was purely a case of either the Panthers playing sublime football or the Dragons only sending out the 'goalkeeper' for the entire game. I will let you guess which one! LMFAO!!!

What a shit couple of days for all Dragons supporters :(:(:(

Well just checked the results, selected 1 out of 4.

I believe the Waterhouse - Singo racing enquiry should include Saints SG Ball and Wests HM sides: how do you read form.

Were the Pennies ball side that good or Saints shitehousen?

Were the Slipperies hm side that good or Wests shitenhousen?:?

Anyway Balmain and Parra are defending their titles

Tucantango

Juniors
Well just checked the results, selected 1 out of 4.

I believe the Waterhouse - Singo racing enquiry should include Saints SG Ball and Wests HM sides: how do you read form.

Were the Pennies ball side that good or Saints shitehousen?

Were the Slipperies hm side that good or Wests shitenhousen?:?

Anyway Balmain and Parra are defending their titles

Magpie,

I can only put it down to the fact that it is, as usual, unpredictable junior representative football. In all honesty I thought the Dragons would go well this year when I discovered who the coach was going to be, and they did to a certain extent. Nevertheless their journey, like this entire competition, has been an unpredictable rollercoaster of ups and downs.

Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think the Tigers would get to the semi finals, let alone the grand final, and to their credit here they are! With the exception of a couple of players, the Tigers are not a team of individual champions, however they are a "*ucking" champion team! They play well together, but more importantly, they play for each other!

The Panthers are in a similar vein with the Tigers, and though I believe the Panthers will get the lollies I do not expect it will be an easy task! If you were to compare the Panthers SG Ball team of 2012 (which was absolutely saturated with individual talent-and whom were the Harold Matthews champions from 2010) with the same team this year, you would say to yourself there is no comparison. Nevertheless here is the class of 2013 putting their predecessors to bloody shame!

Tuc

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith were outstanding today. 16 from 16 completions in the first half and 28 from 31 for the match. Forwards laid a tremendous platform.

half_back

Juniors
Magpie,

I can only put it down to the fact that it is, as usual, unpredictable junior representative football. In all honesty I thought the Dragons would go well this year when I discovered who the coach was going to be, and they did to a certain extent. Nevertheless their journey, like this entire competition, has been an unpredictable rollercoaster of ups and downs.

Not in my wildest dreams did I ever think the Tigers would get to the semi finals, let alone the grand final, and to their credit here they are! With the exception of a couple of players, the Tigers are not a team of individual champions, however they are a "*ucking" champion team! They play well together, but more importantly, they play for each other!

The Panthers are in a similar vein with the Tigers, and though I believe the Panthers will get the lollies I do not expect it will be an easy task! If you were to compare the Panthers SG Ball team of 2012 (which was absolutely saturated with individual talent-and whom were the Harold Matthews champions from 2010) with the same team this year, you would say to yourself there is no comparison. Nevertheless here is the class of 2013 putting their predecessors to bloody shame!

Tuc

Sounds like some great games of footy and some lopsided results. W're there any players in Mattys or Ball who further stamped themselves or stood out as first timers for the origin games?

Tucantango

Juniors
Penrith were outstanding today. 16 from 16 completions in the first half and 28 from 31 for the match. Forwards laid a tremendous platform.

Well folks here we have it; a Panthers v Tigers grand final. Who would ever have guessed that the Tigers would make it to the grand final given their earlier form. To be honest, all Tigers fans should go out and by a lottery ticket if the story I have just been told is true!

With two rounds to to go the Tigers needed to win both games to have even a remote chance of making the finals play-offs. Their two last opponents being the Eels and WSAS. Now most punters at the time would not have given the Tigers a hope in hell of beating the Eels, but the same would have favoured them to beat WSAS.

Now lets go back to R8. There is less than two minutes left on the clock in the Eels v Tigers game. The Eels are up 21-20 and are about to receive the kick-off from the Tigers to restart the match. The Tigers surprisingly kick deep, and the Eels winger, without any pressure whatsoever, drops the easiest catch from a kick-off he will ever receive under the circumstances. The Tigers immediately regather the ball and twenty seconds later they score the match winning try. Tigers win 24-21! Now for the twist!

The Tigers go on to beat WSAS and finish the competition on 12 points, however had Eels winger caught the ball like most would have thought he should, the same lad would have wound down the clock, the Tigers would have lost that game and they would have finished on 10 points in equal eighth position with Melbourne and Illawarra. But because the Tigers would have had a lesser points percentage ratio than the Storm or Steelers they wouldn't have even made the finals! Now they are in the GF! Luck?

Personally I attribute some of the Tigers success at the back end of the season to the return of their 2012 NSWRL U/17 representative Rhys Armstrong. Armstrong returned to the line-up in R6 after a lengthy stint on bench due to injury. And what a revelation he has been! This 'centre' come 'back-rower' was slotted into the five-eight role on his return and didn't disappoint making the position his own. Not only has he given the 'right side flank' of the field an extra attacking dimension, he has sured up the defence on the same side which (as far as junior rep league is concerned) sees more than its fair share of attacking raids! Let me explain.

Over the last 10 or so years I have seen my fair share of 'junior representative league' and if there is one comment I can share it would be to state that junior rep league players are not traditionally dexterous when it comes to passing both ways (which is unlike their rugby union cousins). In other words most of the attack seems to be down the 'left side flank' (i.e. passing right to left-passing right handed). In fact by the end of R9 seven of the top 12 leading try scorers for SGB (as reported in the 'RLN') were positioned on 'left side flank' (in terms of attack). There was Pangai, Holmes, Knight, Lussick, Nicoll-Klokstad, Aloiai, and Satterthwaite, and all prolific try scorers! Throw Davis, Naden and Luke in there as well given the finals series!

Unless their is a strong five-eight in the team with a commanding presence, who has an equally strong and dexterous passing game, attack seems to be one dimensional and rarely will you see the ball go down the 'right side attacking flank. This ability to effectively attack both sides of the field through Luke and May has been the strength of the Panthers all season which has out them above the rest of the pack! This is what Armstrong has also brought to the Tigers, and their results I believe support my assertion. As stated above he is also strong in defence (and actually pulled off a great try saver in the Eels game in R8), but he will need to be on his game as he will have the likes of Naden and Luke coming his way all day!

The Panthers you would have to say are the hot favourites! Their coaching staff have obviously been aware of the oppossition's strengths and weaknesses. This has been reflected in the results throughout the season, especially during the finals. Though they were a little unlucky against Parramatta, the Panthers certainly bounced back against the Bulldogs and attacked the Bulldogs up the middle (where the Bulldogs had been weak all season). And yesterday they exploited the Dragons weaknesses and neutralised the big Dragons forwards to march into the GF.

Given the above you can expect that the coaches at Penrith will have again done their homework and I beleive you can expect the Panthers boys, through Jennings and Freeman, to go down the very weak 'right hand flank' of the Tigers as they did back in R2. As prolific a try scorer is Satterthwaite, his defence, and that of his winger Sutton (if he plays), has been questionable throughout the SGB season, and as I said earlier - the Panthers already know this! in saying this I am sure that I have even seen the ever reliable workhorse Matt Wood a few times this season on this flank to sure up the defence here, but that leaves the middle exposed!

Anyway my heart says the Tigers (if their Divine intervention continues), nevertheless my mind says the Panthers because games are generally lost and won on the back of defence and Penrith have this facet of the game covered in my opinion!

Tuc

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
This Penrith team have done a tremendous job all season. They have been slaughtered by injuries and positional changes. They have a large percentage of Under 17's who are all contributing to the victories.

When I was thinking about Penrith SG Ball 2013 at the end of last season I budgeted for Matt Lodge and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak to be in the side. Turns out they didn't need them, imagine if they did have them!

I am confident they can get the job done next Saturday if they play with the confidence they had yesterday. I then expect them go back to back in SG Ball next year :)

Last edited:

Keenan

Juniors
Tired of reading these essays from fence sitters who all season have been critical about the Panthers SGBALL team.
Before the season kicked of they were written off as top 4 contenders,then written off for carrying year young players & then written off come finals time.

And then been written off leading into the semifinal stage...yep they were beaten by the Eels in the first week of the finals but that loss just fuelled them on to submit the Bulldogs & then to go on and THUMP the Dragons yesterday!

And you guessed it these fence sitters are still writing them off in next weeks GF.
As Panther Daz has said they have suffered numerous injuries causing major positional changes during this season & leading into the finals.But we don't use it to make excuses or do we blame the refs or the bounce of the ball or even the weather.

The team just gets on,does the job & executes!

Undefeated Minor Premiers Vs Defending Premiers & it's going to be a great game.
C'mon Panthers!

magpie4ever

First Grade
This Penrith team have done a tremendous job all season. They have been slaughtered by injuries and positional changes. They have a large percentage of Under 17's who are all contributing to the victories.

When I was thinking about Penrith SG Ball 2013 at the end of last season I budgeted for Matt Lodge and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak to be in the side. Turns out they didn't need them, imagine if they did have them!

I am confident they can get the job done next Saturday if they play with the confidence they had yesterday. I then expect them go back to back in SG Ball next year

Shit, man; talk about going the early crow - you would have got Black Caviar beat going that early.:lol:

Good luck to all 4 sides next weekend.

Tucantango

Juniors
Tired of reading these essays from fence sitters who all season have been critical about the Panthers SGBALL team. ... ... ...

Simple! Don't read them!

However BUDAH it's somewhat hypocritical when you write enough of them yourself! You're definitely a one man army for the 'Tyrone May' fan club!

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Tired of reading these essays from fence sitters who all season have been critical about the Panthers SGBALL team.
Before the season kicked of they were written off as top 4 contenders,then written off for carrying year young players & then written off come finals time.

And then been written off leading into the semifinal stage...yep they were beaten by the Eels in the first week of the finals but that loss just fuelled them on to submit the Bulldogs & then to go on and THUMP the Dragons yesterday!

And you guessed it these fence sitters are still writing them off in next weeks GF.
As Panther Daz has said they have suffered numerous injuries causing major positional changes during this season & leading into the finals.But we don't use it to make excuses or do we blame the refs or the bounce of the ball or even the weather.

The team just gets on,does the job & executes!

Undefeated Minor Premiers Vs Defending Premiers & it's going to be a great game.
C'mon Panthers!

What team hasn't, dopey; and who wrote them off at any stage?

magpie4ever

First Grade
LMFAO @ the cupcake brothers!

You 2 are good...LOL

I'll take your cupcake, stick it where the sun doesn't shine and dropkick you over the nearest goalpost.

Do you want to go the early crow like the Dazman - claiming this years title, as well as, next years.:lol:

Cocky shits, you Penny supporters.

It must have really hurt your egos when Parramatta took your side out in last year's prelim final.

Latest posts