What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Memberships

Perth Red

Post Whore
Less than 4000 is embarrassing never mind disappointing. There would be amateur clubs with more support!

tumbidragon

First Grade
Less than 4000 is embarrassing never mind disappointing. There would be amateur clubs with more support!
Central Coast Bears have around 6.5K.... In all seriousness, I believe any club pulling <10K after the emphises on membership by the NRL in recent years , should really be dissapointed in their approach to membership growth. Props to Parra though, really bad form since 09, yet the fans still sign up year in, year out. Nice job Eels fans ;-)

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Do they heavily promote AFL memberships in the AFL States. Can't say I have seen really much of anything in way of promotion of NRL or AFL in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think they do though when in Brisbane at the weekend I did hear a Broncos membership ad on the taxi radio. Probably more down to fan culture and afl fans being more connected and committed to their clubs in larger numbers. I also find more women into afl than I seen in any sport anywhere in the world. No idea why?

WaznTheGreat

Referee
We have to strongly consider kicking teams out of the comp in the future who can't get 10k members,you simply don't deserve a place in the NRL if you can't get 10k members.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Using the excuse that you don't like the coach or are unhappy with signings should be unacceptable when you are talking sub 10k memberships. Eels, dragons, sth's etc are showing that engaging your fan base is little to do with the teams performance, conversely look at manly, success yet pathetic memberships. Some clubs just do not appear to have a large fan base. Not a reason on its own to replace clubs but must be something considered.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Panthers at 3.6k is not good but Manly at 6k given their near constant success in recent years is even worse IMO. Where would they be if they had Penriths run of results?

Fire

First Grade
Who gives a f**k about membership numbers.

The real money comes from corporate sponsorships.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
If Parramatta made the finals 8 years in a row and won 2 GF in the past 5 years we would have 20k members

LOL @ Manly

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not really. Big membership clubs are bringing in $10mill+ in membership fees. Corporate sponsorship would be way less than half that in most clubs.

Fire

First Grade
Not really. Big membership clubs are bringing in $10mill+ in membership fees. Corporate sponsorship would be way less than half that in most clubs.

You're probably right PR, you spend more time around the game than me so would know. I just always (incorrectly) assumed that the money was in sponsorship.

Agree with what that Parra dude said above too.

applesauce

Bench

It is easier to get lucrative sponsorships if you have a huge membership base to advertise/sell to.

Shows the marketing department at corporations that they have rusted on fans willing to support a company that supports THEIR club.

If you were a CEO and you wanted to become a Platinum sponsor of a RL club, would you rather have a starting fan base of 25k or 4k that see your companies name on the letterhead/emails going out to every member numerous times throughout the season?

Fire

First Grade
It is easier to get lucrative sponsorships if you have a huge membership base to advertise/sell to.

Shows the marketing department at corporations that they have rusted on fans willing to support a company that supports THEIR club.

If you were a CEO and you wanted to become a Platinum sponsor of a RL club, would you rather have a starting fan base of 25k or 4k that see your companies name on the letterhead/emails going out to every member numerous times throughout the season?

True. Sharp post.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everything is def linked. Bigger fan base, more memberships, more attractive to sponsors, more money, more success, more fans etc. the biggie is how big do you need to be to be sustainable, should you persevere with poorly supported clubs when you have bigger potentials waiting in the wings?

tumbidragon

First Grade

Yep, great points mate.

Fire

First Grade
Everything is def linked. Bigger fan base, more memberships, more attractive to sponsors, more money, more success, more fans etc. the biggie is how big do you need to be to be sustainable, should you persevere with poorly supported clubs when you have bigger potentials waiting in the wings?

All clubs should stay but souffs. They've contributed nothing to the game for over 40 years. We didn't miss them when they weren't in the comp, so naturally they should go again.

Perth has to be brought in to make the comp truly "national".

The game needs an injection/excitement around it. Everyone was pumped when Melbourne and Gold Coast joined. Perth would bring that excitement back.

Kick out souffs, and bring in two or three teams at once.

Perth, second Brisbane, Central Coast.

Latest posts