What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2013 Memberships

Big Sam

First Grade
I went to the much hyped Dogs v Sth's 1st game, 18k Sths members, 14k Dogs members and less than 19k turned up for the game (and I was boosting the crowd!). Your crowd avg is boosted by away fans remember so your actual avg number of members at games would be significantly less.

The 19k crowd was the Dogs home game in May.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I don't think it shows that at all, there's way too many factors and variables to take such a simplistic view without backing it up with facts.

The dogs had an incredible run of form, there's always going to be a strong bandwagon when that happens.

So lets back up your statement with facts then.

Year/Ladder Position/Average home crowds.

2012 1st - 23572
2011 9th - 19528
2010 13th - 20670
2009 2nd - 22608
2008 16th - 15344
2007 6th - 16488
2006 2nd - 18041

As you can see the Dogs have been very consistent with crowds, no matter the result.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The 19k crowd was the Dogs home game in May.
I really don't think it's relevant which home game is which, both members are admitted into both matches. The fact with that June game was the weather - it was disgustingly cold and wet Saturday night, 7:30pm kickoff in June. A far cry from a 4pm public holiday Friday on a lovely afternoon with the benefit of an Easter show next door and ticket deals aplenty.
I went to the much hyped Dogs v Sth's 1st game, 18k Sths members, 14k Dogs members and less than 19k turned up for the game (and I was boosting the crowd!). Your crowd avg is boosted by away fans remember so your actual avg number of members at games would be significantly less.
The "much hyped Dogs v Sths 1st game" was on Good Friday and attracted 35,221. Do you ever tire of being wrong?

Also, "less than 19k turned up"? Last I checked, 19,439 is MORE than 19k. :lol:

yobbo84

Coach
What a load of tripe.

A club that is attracting THOUSANDS MORE than their membership base to matches is surely doing better than one that only attracts its membership base to matches.

That's not even allowing for away fans either. Pissweak effort.

LOL. I knew that would get your knickers in a knot.

So your club can't convert any of those THOUSANDS of people into members and you're happy?

All clubs need to get their supporters into a culture of buying memberships, regardless of how their team is performing. Along with sponsorship it's guaranteed $$$ that the club can plan around.

All football clubs need to move to self sufficiency. You can say what you want, but South Sydney are clear leaders in this regard and have been for a couple of years now.

Dogs Of War

Coach
All football clubs need to move to self sufficiency. You can say what you want, but South Sydney are clear leaders in this regard and have been for a couple of years now.

As are Bulldogs fans who lead the way in attendance at matches, somewhere you guys haven't been doing well in till this year. It's not like we don't benefit from having these people attend.

Some of the problem can be attributed also to a lot of Dogs fans I know who purchased Stadium Australia memberships instead so they can attend more events (I know a few Souths fans who have done similar).

Either way, both clubs are well placed to build on the areas they are weak in, and with ARLC putting a big push for these sort of things, hopefully more entertainment etc can be put on to make standard matches more of an event.

Timmah

Staff member
Higher crowds mean higher cut of F&B and higher merch sales.

Higher memberships mean there's money in the bank at the start of the season but no real guarantee those people will turn up.

dimitri

First Grade
Higher crowds mean higher cut of F&B and higher merch sales.

Higher memberships mean there's money in the bank at the start of the season but no real guarantee those people will turn up.

Food and beverage sales? I'd be very surprised if many clubs ran this!
Certainly wouldn't happen at the decent stadiums eg anz, sfs, suncorp, aami

RWB

Bench
So lets back up your statement with facts then.

Year/Ladder Position/Average home crowds.

2012 1st - 23572
2011 9th - 19528
2010 13th - 20670
2009 2nd - 22608
2008 16th - 15344
2007 6th - 16488
2006 2nd - 18041

As you can see the Dogs have been very consistent with crowds, no matter the result.

I never said they weren't consistent. Why's everyone so highly wired on here?

I wasn't intentionally being critical of the Bulldogs, I think it's fair to assume that every club who goes on a winning big winning streak is going to have a group of bandwagoners. This was just one of the variables I mentioned when trying to explain the disconnect between crowd figures and members.

Given the negative connotations often associated with the word bandwagoners I probably should have come up with a different term but it was never intended to be critical.

I think those crowd figures are very very raw statistics and are way too simplistic to really draw any conclusions from. So many variables to consider like; venue, time, day, ladder position at time of crowd, opposition etc etc.

Timmah

Staff member
The Bulldogs played home matches in every timeslot from memory.

Lambretta

First Grade
I was extremely surprised to see the poll on this site asking if people intended on renewing their membership for 2013

More than 30% said they didn't intend to renew for next season.

Personally I find that piss poor and more than a little bit disappointing.

Now maybe the site has been spammed by AFL and A-League fans attempting to make League fans look disloyal. Maybe a lot of Penrith, Roosters, Warriors and fans of other poorly performing teams voted or maybe it's a case of the "2013 is too far away blues" but however you cut it, more than a third thinking about not returning is lame.

dimitri

First Grade
I was extremely surprised to see the poll on this site asking if people intended on renewing their membership for 2013

More than 30% said they didn't intend to renew for next season.

Personally I find that piss poor and more than a little bit disappointing.

agree

even if circumstances change and you cant renew a full season membership, at least get a no-game or mini-game membership.

In 2013 I know the Bulldogs have a supporter membership (no games) and a 3 game pack and a 7 game pack!

:crazy:

docbrown

Coach
Parramatta too in 1999.

Record averages for the Sydney clubs -

Canterbury 2012 - 23,572
Parramatta 1999 - 23,266
Souths 1964 - 19,398
Tigers 2006 - 18,883
Manly 1968 - 18,471
Penrith 2003 - 17,771
Roosters 2004 - 17,593
St George Illawarra 2011 - 17,422
Cronulla 2005 - 16,281

If clubs were capable of drawing 18-19k back in 1964 you'd have to argue that with the right kind of memberships and promotion, depending on ground capacity, all these clubs are able of achieving the attendance targets the NRL has recently announced.

I think in the next 5 years most clubs in the league will set season average attendance records.

Last edited:

H.H

Juniors
Parramatta too in 1999.

Record averages for the Sydney clubs -

Canterbury 2012 - 23,572
Parramatta 1999 - 23,266
Souths 1964 - 19,398
Tigers 2006 - 18,883
Manly 1968 - 18,471
Penrith 2003 - 17,771
Roosters 2004 - 17,593
St George Illawarra 2011 - 17,422
Cronulla 2005 - 16,281

If clubs were capable of drawing 18-19k back in 1964 you'd have to argue that with the right kind of memberships and promotion, depending on ground capacity, all these clubs are able of achieving the attendance targets the NRL has recently announced.

I think in the next 5 years most clubs in the league will set season average attendance records.
The Souffs and Manly figures from the 60's would include match of the day figures where each week the top match was played at the SCG and attended by as many neutral fans as supporters of the teams actually playing.

Not quite apple with apples.

Latest posts