What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Jerseys, Logos & Sponsorship Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I will never understand why the Raiders need to have anymore than one jersey... some clubs sure, but if we wore that lime green jersey every week, not a single spectactor, player or commentator could confuse it with any other jersey

which is why i have refused to purchase a jersey since i was old enough to figure out what it was all about. Money sucking bullshit from club and NRL

Souths away is the only instance I can think of.

100%green

Juniors
I will never understand why the Raiders need to have anymore than one jersey... some clubs sure, but if we wore that lime green jersey every week, not a single spectactor, player or commentator could confuse it with any other jersey

which is why i have refused to purchase a jersey since i was old enough to figure out what it was all about. Money sucking bullshit from club and NRL

So you refuse to buy a jersey cause they have more than one which in your opinion is not needed?

What a stupid argument. And as for the money sucking bullshit...clubs are focusing on all avenues of money making. Memberships, merchandise, sponsors etc...

You don't have to buy a jersey but to say you won't because they have more than one is a ridiculous argument.

bobmar28

Bench

I believe teams should wear their home jersey for away games unless there is a clash of colours.

Timmah

Staff member
^^^ this.

And someone has to step in and stop the Rabbitohs ridiculous play at panels subsituting for a change of colour.

Saint Doc

Coach
I believe teams should wear their home jersey for away games unless there is a clash of colours.

^^^ this.

And someone has to step in and stop the Rabbitohs ridiculous play at panels subsituting for a change of colour.

Tim you're contradicting yourself.

In one breath saying you want clubs to stick to one design unless there is a clash, and in another breath saying you want souths to play half their games in a radically different jersey.

Souths have two sponsors, which is why there is a subtle change between what is virtually two versions of the same jersey. Each year they have a clash jersey (white with red/green sash in 2012, white with red /green vee in 2013) if their normal design may not be suitable for every game.

I think what they do is brilliant. Saints are the only other club that comes close to wearing the home design as often, although we do unnecessarily (from a clash point of view) wear the red strip about 4 times a year.

Most other clubs seem to wear their away jersey to every away game unless it clashes which is annoying

Timmah

Staff member
Tim you're contradicting yourself.
Maybe in your simplistic view of things...

In one breath saying you want clubs to stick to one design unless there is a clash, and in another breath saying you want souths to play half their games in a radically different jersey.

Souths have two sponsors, which is why there is a subtle change between what is virtually two versions of the same jersey. Each year they have a clash jersey (white with red/green sash in 2012, white with red /green vee in 2013) if their normal design may not be suitable for every game.
Nope. Two completely separate things. The "want clubs to play in home jersey unless there's a clash" is a pipe dream, a hope - as much as we might all want it, only a select few clubs will actually stick to it (Dragons, Dogs, Manly, Roosters, Sharks are about it I think).

My thing about Souths is, in the real world right now, each club is required to have a home strip and away/alternate strip which contrasts, that simple having different coloured panels is ridiculous. The two-sponsor thing could be achieved with a classy away strip which is mostly white IMO. Doesn't even have to be radically different to what they wear now, or an outlandish design.

I think it sets a bit of a silly precedent for other clubs to pursue if they wish to. Souths are just lucky green is their primarily colour and only one other club has it.

I think what they do is brilliant. Saints are the only other club that comes close to wearing the home design as often, although we do unnecessarily (from a clash point of view) wear the red strip about 4 times a year.

Most other clubs seem to wear their away jersey to every away game unless it clashes which is annoying
As I suggested above, you'll find Cronulla, Canterbury, and more recently the Roosters and Manly have followed suit. Far more common these days, as these select clubs have realised fans love the classic, simple designs.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
Maybe in your simplistic view of things...

Nope. Two completely separate things. The "want clubs to play in home jersey unless there's a clash" is a pipe dream, a hope - as much as we might all want it, only a select few clubs will actually stick to it (Dragons, Dogs, Manly, Roosters, Sharks are about it I think).

My thing about Souths is, in the real world right now, each club is required to have a home strip and away/alternate strip which contrasts, that simple having different coloured panels is ridiculous. The two-sponsor thing could be achieved with a classy away strip which is mostly white IMO. Doesn't even have to be radically different to what they wear now, or an outlandish design.

I think it sets a bit of a silly precedent for other clubs to pursue if they wish to. Souths are just lucky green is their primarily colour and only one other club has it.

As I suggested above, you'll find Cronulla, Canterbury, and more recently the Roosters and Manly have followed suit. Far more common these days, as these select clubs have realised fans love the classic, simple designs.

Dead set you are hard to deal with. I try and discuss something with you, and you open with an insult rather than just making your point, something which you hate people doing to you.

And no, it is not easily done for souths. 50% of their games have have Crown on the front, 50% have de longhi. If they dealt with this by having a "classy away strip that is mostly white", then every second week they wouldn't be in their traditional myrtle and cardinal red striped jersey. Which is the opposite of what we want.

Timmah

Staff member
... easy solutions...

Have both sponsors printed on different versions of the main jersey... then just alternate those when there's no clash so each sponsor gets 12 exposures per season.

Don't see why the sponsorship needs to be tied to which jersey is worn, unless NRL regulations forbid it.

ek999

First Grade
It's one of the smarter things Souths have done over the years. If fans like the look of the jersey with white trim and logo they can buy that, if they prefer the black they can buy that yet all of them will be wearing the iconic South Sydney strip. Then they have a white alternate for playing Raiders away and the jersey requirements are satisfied too. Why the f**k would you complain about it?

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Quick question

Is there anything to stop Souths making the white one their 'Away' jersey and one of the red/green jerseys an 'alternate' or something similar? They could then hardly ever wear their away a bit like Knights a while back.

Saint Doc

Coach
... easy solutions...

Have both sponsors printed on different versions of the main jersey... then just alternate those when there's no clash so each sponsor gets 12 exposures per season.

Don't see why the sponsorship needs to be tied to which jersey is worn, unless NRL regulations forbid it.

I think it would come down to what the sponsors want.

If you had two identical jerseys for sale, with different sponsors, would stores stock both? Fans would likely favour one jersey over another based on the "sexier" sponsor. Sponsors not only want exposure on tv, but they want exposure when us idiots walk around westfield or turn up to a friend's BBQ wearing their logo.

By having a subtle difference, and having one as home and one as away, shops will stock both, and fans will choose the jersey that they prefer (ie. black side panels, logo and trim, or white side panels, logo and trim) rather than sponsors.

Basically I think Souths have it spot on. If they revert to one main sponsor again in the future I think you'd have a sound argument but for the time being this is the best way to go.

I think the jersey choices (I.e. Whether to wear home or away) for many other clubs deserve more criticism than Souths

LESStar58

Referee
Broncos WIL Jersey (sorry for the poor quality) from the online Season Preview just released.

WIL_zps033d7251.png

Essentially the home jersey with pink replacing the gold.

Also the previously seen Heritage

Heritage_zpsf268a481.png

Interestingly the back of the heritage is white. If memory serves me correctly, the original was all maroon on the back.

EDIT: after looking it up on google, the original had a mostly maroon back.
the Broncos will evidently be known as the Nenish Tarts for WIL round...

That heritage jersey is dreadful though!

gzerounian

Juniors
I have always wondered why Souths don't reverse the red with the green on their away jersey to give it an additional point of difference from their home one.

33vowaa.jpg

steggz

Juniors
I have always wondered why Souths don't reverse the red with the green on their away jersey to give it an additional point of difference from their home one.

33vowaa.jpg

That ain't half bad. Flipping colours is a typical move for clubs, but this gives a different look. Wouldn't work with black sides but works pretty well with white.

beave

Coach
Surely you could get rid of the black box behind the crown, and keep the gold colouring but just do a black outline around the text and crown to make the gold standout more?

Lambretta

First Grade
I understand what Tim meant about the black/white panelling shouldn't be allowed as options for alternative strips to avoid a clash, but that's not what they're for

As pointed out Souths have the lovely white with red/green slash and now chevron as their alternative clash strip. I actually really liked both and was disappointed they didn't wear them a couple more times

The black / white was a HOME and AWAY choice where there was NO clash with opponents.

That way they could have two kit options / choice for the fans and extra revenue for the die hards that had to have both or decided to buy one kit one year and the other kit the following year.

Timmah

Staff member

Those two jerseys were used a grand total of ONCE between them in first grade NRL fixtures over the past two years.

That's right - they didn't use the white + red/green chevrons jersey even ONCE in last year's season proper :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts