What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 memberships

georgesnmith

Juniors
Data like that is already collected through ticket sales & other means. Likelihood is the majority of ticket purchases will be people whose data is already in the system or neutrals & Cowboys fans who money and time will be wasted on.

There's far more effective methods of getting your consumer's and customers data than claiming everyone who buys a ticket is a member. And in a competition like the NRL is running it's just straight up dishonesty.

but claiming non ticketed membership is ok in the race? theres nothing stopping other clubs doing the same. the roosters for example could do it for when they host the anzac day game

georgesnmith

Juniors
Quite extraordinary that David Smith has put so much importance on Memberships and crowd attendance yet both seem to have gone backwards.

memberships went up last year and crowds were only down marginally

i wouldnt be judging crowds based on a couple of below expectations in round one

what killed crowds last year was origin

until they have stand alone origins, preferably with the nrl shut down for 3 straight consecutive weeks this will always happen

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Another brilliant initiative by Panthers. They have launched a $89 UWS membership. The students will receive a reserved seat on halfway to all matches, access to an exclusive UWS Members Function and all the normal member benefits.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Quite extraordinary that David Smith has put so much importance on Memberships and crowd attendance yet both seem to have gone backwards.

It is stupid to say memberships have gone backwards when its only March.

It is equally stupid to say crowds are down after just 1 round.

papabear

Juniors
Yeah well what do we expect when the Broadcasters dictate the draw, terrible scheduling and the exorbitant price of going to games!

If they wanted to start with a bang the first thing they should have done is found the most popular games for each team attendance and ratings wise, for example we should have had games like Broncos vs Cowboys in Bris, Dragons vs Raiders in Can (or Sharks vs Dragons), Manly vs Melb in Mel, Dogs v Eels, etc this weekend.

The Second thing they should have done is figured out which games historically have the highest attendance and ratings in each time slot at this time of year and used those facts and others to structure the first round, not just assumed that Rabbits v Roosters for example is the best game to kick the season off because that's tradition.

Thirdly they need to take weather conditions in to account, for example who is the genius that thinks playing games in NQ at this time of year is a good idea.

And lastly though it has been said to death, they need to make it cheaper and easier for families to go to the games, that means lowering ticket prices, finding ways to lower the price of food and parking at the games (I understand that this normally is not 100% within their control) and lobbing governments to build rectangular stadiums in areas that are easy for fans to get to and to develop better public transport options to games.

Of course some of this stuff can be expensive and wont happen over night, but it's not rocket science and some this is just amateur mistakes.
tbh I was at the raiders v dragons game that got about 20k a couple of years ago when picker palmed off soward for the try I think.

it had well over 5k of dragons fans because they were killing it at the time, I think if you played them round one, unless you got beautiful weather your crowd wouldn't have been that great.

RWB

Bench
but claiming non ticketed membership is ok in the race? theres nothing stopping other clubs doing the same. the roosters for example could do it for when they host the anzac day game

Sure it is, non-ticketed membership is for people who can't get to the games, get to very few games or already are stadium members at their clubs respective stadiums and don't need a ticketed membership. It's generally a long term commitment to the club and they'll be renewing in the future because they are supporters of the club. 100's or even 1,000's of Cowboys supporters aren't going to be signing up for Brisbane non-ticketed membership to inflate their number, but they will be buying tickets to Round 1. There's quite clearly a distinct difference.

Membership is primarily about 1) improving crowd numbers and; 2) providing clubs with a long term sustainable revenue stream. The competition should be about getting new members signing on who will be long term members, not gaining personal data. It'll really bother me if a club who actually needs the advertising money on offer misses out because the Broncos sold a few thousand round 1 tickets.

Sure other clubs could do it if they want but that doesn't make it right. That's a poor justification.

Forty20

First Grade
so how are we going vs last years numbers? are we tracking for growth now. when does this comp thing finish

As far as Parramatta's membership numbers compare:

"It's a more than 16% increase from last year, and it puts us in a fantastic position to reach 15,000 Members in the next few weeks, and our goal of 20,000 Members this season."

Clicky

_Johnsy

Referee

here is a post from kick off 2013
this is just before kick off 2014

total is about 4K in front

Yet some will still have a whinge.

Memberships seem to have gone backwards ?? Wow.

I don't have a pure mathematics degree, but I'm sure 194068 is more than 190024.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
tbh I was at the raiders v dragons game that got about 20k a couple of years ago when picker palmed off soward for the try I think.

it had well over 5k of dragons fans because they were killing it at the time, I think if you played them round one, unless you got beautiful weather your crowd wouldn't have been that great.

It's still the highest drawing game for the Raiders.

Latest posts