What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 memberships

Billythekid

First Grade
clubs getting more money is a hugely important goal.

probably more so than crowds.

if people want to pay for a membership and not go to games thats still a result for the club

I agree that memberships and more revenue for the clubs is important (it's also a more steady stream than they're used to). I would just like to see it starting to translate to crowds. Partly because i think big crowds encourage people to come back. I think the more big crowds we get the better the atmosphere and the more people want to come back. Sort of a positive feedback loop.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I agree that memberships and more revenue for the clubs is important (it's also a more steady stream than they're used to). I would just like to see it starting to translate to crowds. Partly because i think big crowds encourage people to come back. I think the more big crowds we get the better the atmosphere and the more people want to come back. Sort of a positive feedback loop.

Well at the minute the code is stuck in a negative feedback loop perpetuated by parts of the media with their own agenda. There are lot of people put their who want to see league struggle

georgesnmith

Juniors

i agree with you

the fact is its going to take a long time to see big crowd increases

sydney clubs never needed crowds, they had pokies

AFL has been doing it for 30 years, weve really started now.

for sydney they need to play more games at big stadiums

and they need to get realistic about pricing

adult tickets should be $20 - $45

family tickets $40 - 50

even with all that cant see average crowds growing beyond 25k for 20 years

georgesnmith

Juniors
Well at the minute the code is stuck in a negative feedback loop perpetuated by parts of the media with their own agenda. There are lot of people put their who want to see league struggle

other sports get the "bandwagon" happening eg WSW. league doesnt get that just yet because of the negativity.

when the game gets a fair crack at the media watch it really grow

the game has grown in a very adverse media environment

the ARLC are a very well funded organisation now id give them time to look at all parts of the game.

oikee

Juniors
The 26 rounds sit perfect for students to attend most games.
I dont know why they cant maybe have a special student membership, where they have a designated area say behind the goalsticks at either or both ends.

Something needs to be done to fill the gaps behind the Sydney posts, they are always, always empty.
Cant anyone being paid millions at the top of the NRL come up with a idea, surely.

They have started the year like busted lemons and as the season progresses, it does not look likely to get better.
They have welded the axe, and the strategy man is gone, if i was Smithy i would be looking over me own shoulder.
Throwing money at the bush is not solving your crowd issues.

DC_fan

Coach
The NRL needs to stop pushing club membership so much and push Season Ticket holders more.

I know everyone can't be a season ticket holder (cost and other reasons) but the NRL has to place greater importance on fans becoming one.

Dogs Of War

Coach
The NRL needs to stop pushing club membership so much and push Season Ticket holders more.

I know everyone can't be a season ticket holder (cost and other reasons) but the NRL has to place greater importance on fans becoming one.

It's about gettign people used to it, build up the base of people you are talking to. It looks short sighted, but this is a long term game. Next season you have a great database to push memberships from when they are available. Makes it easier to sneak one in for a xmas present etc.

And when they talk memberships, people see that it costs say $40 to be a member, or $80 for a 3 game pass. Most times people spend the extra. Thing is you need to get them looking first.

Dragon Jim

Juniors
Not sure if it has been mentioned but 6 or 7 years ago, season ticket holders could get into away games for $8. I remember going to Shark Park for the local derby, took my season ticket to the box office inside the leagues club and paid $8 for a GA ticket!

It lasted a year or 2 before it got canned, for what reason I dont know.

Fair enough there is reciprocal rights for ANZ games, but give another incentive to become a season ticket holder by having, say, half price GA tickets to away games. Something, anything, to encourage more crowds and more season ticket holders.

juro

Bench
i agree with you

the fact is its going to take a long time to see big crowd increases

sydney clubs never needed crowds, they had pokies

AFL has been doing it for 30 years, weve really started now.

for sydney they need to play more games at big stadiums

and they need to get realistic about pricing

adult tickets should be $20 - $45

family tickets $40 - 50

even with all that cant see average crowds growing beyond 25k for 20 years
Interesting to see that 20 years ago, Collingwood had about 20k members. AFL have a head start. Doesn't mean they will always be in front.

Dragon Jim

Juniors
It's about gettign people used to it, build up the base of people you are talking to. It looks short sighted, but this is a long term game. Next season you have a great database to push memberships from when they are available. Makes it easier to sneak one in for a xmas present etc.

And when they talk memberships, people see that it costs say $40 to be a member, or $80 for a 3 game pass. Most times people spend the extra. Thing is you need to get them looking first.

They also need to emphasise the fact that most (if not all?) clubs have payment plans for their season tickets. We can pay ours over 12 monthly installments, so my $430 all-in membership works out to be $36 a month.

The people I talk to tell me too much to pay in one go, and it isnt until I basically show them the website with payment plans they start to consider it more.

The payment plans need to be trumpeted in neon lights to get the attention of those thinking about joining.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Interesting to see that 20 years ago, Collingwood had about 20k members. AFL have a head start. Doesn't mean they will always be in front.

Yep, first step is having club memberships higher than average crowds. As Dragon Jim said, pushing the monthly payment plan is the way to go. Hopefully they work out how to use all those details they have via touch and oztag to make the biggest mailing list ever to supercharge memberships.

oikee

Juniors
Yes, you can make that as a excuse why it will take 20 forking years to build a crowd in Sydney, or they can get off their backsides and make it happen quicker. Fork me, Brisbane never took 20 forking years to build a crowd.
The NRL need to get off their arses and get people from anywhere sitting behind the sticks.
Grab anyone, some tourists off the street.
If you make it look full, then more will sign up for members.

Second, they really need to get outta that great big white forking elephant.
If it is going to take 20 forking years to fill this motherforker, then lets just start in a smaller stadium of say 40 to 50 thousand, fill that forker first.
Only a fool would try to go from 20 thousand stadiums to a 80 thousand stadium, and a forking round one at that.
I keep saying, this is not rocket science, why is the code outlaying forking millions for these bunch of peanuts.
Give the job to Jim Dolye and let him cut chop and burn this motherforker until we are left with 6 clubs in Sydney and the rest scattered around the country with 1-2 in every city.

We can either sit back and watch the game further deteriorate into nothing, hanging by a forking thread, or we can act now and fix the forking thing wrong with the game staring every last one of us in the face.
Every time we play a game at AN forking Z, the problem is staring you in the face.

Last edited:

juro

Bench
5661793503_06bf70d0a6_z.jpg

papabear

Juniors
Yes, you can make that as a excuse why it will take 20 forking years to build a crowd in Sydney, or they can get off their backsides and make it happen quicker. Fork me, Brisbane never took 20 forking years to build a crowd.
The NRL need to get off their arses and get people from anywhere sitting behind the sticks.
Grab anyone, some tourists off the street.
If you make it look full, then more will sign up for members.

Second, they really need to get outta that great big white forking elephant.
If it is going to take 20 forking years to fill this motherforker, then lets just start in a smaller stadium of say 40 to 50 thousand, fill that forker first.
Only a fool would try to go from 20 thousand stadiums to a 80 thousand stadium, and a forking round one at that.
I keep saying, this is not rocket science, why is the code outlaying forking millions for these bunch of peanuts.
Give the job to Jim Dolye and let him cut chop and burn this motherforker until we are left with 6 clubs in Sydney and the rest scattered around the country with 1-2 in every city.

We can either sit back and watch the game further deteriorate into nothing, hanging by a forking thread, or we can act now and fix the forking thing wrong with the game staring every last one of us in the face.
Every time we play a game at AN forking Z, the problem is staring you in the face.
With respect,

If you are going to kill clubs to make room for expansion clubs you should start with the weakest, the first stop being the gold coast. They are far bigger drain on the game and embarrassment with there made up 12k crowds then any other club.

The broncos, for having Brisbane to itself have pitiful crowds and membership, considering that the QRL has declined since they joined the nswrl you have to question whether the broncos have been good for rugby league or not?

Actually, before finishing, I think it is worth reiterating that point, the broncos joined the NSWRL to play against other NSW/ACT based clubs. Why didn't they just join the QRL since Queenslanders have the business of rugby league so figured out?

Sime_11

Juniors
remember Broncos basically have all of Brisbane to get. add a 20 year juggernaut dynasty under Wayne which included 6 premierships and thats why Brisbane look really good.

you will lose more fans then you gain (if any) if you force sydney into 6 clubs.... if some Sydney clubs folded, the fans of those clubs would tell NRL to shove it where the sun dont shine and go cold turkey on RL completely.

Latest posts