What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Draw

I heard a brief mention on either last night on Fox sports or this morning on the radio (can't remember which I'm sorry) that the Broncos get 11 straight Friday night games to start the season :shock: If this is correct, all I can say, with due respect, is "boring, boring, boring".

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
One day, not anytime soon sadly, all teams will play the same number of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday games and get an equal share of exposure on FTA.

Seems like Canberra, Warriors, Storm and Titans will barely be seen on FTA and the Sharks will be propping up Monday nights as per usual, while sides that struggled for the last season like Tigers, Dragons and Broncos will hog all the FTA games.

How is that in any way intelligent or good for ratings.

Sleep

Juniors
Haven't looked at the alleged draw and probably won't bother but I can imagine it's a joke. Why the NRL doesn't introduce flex scheduling to allow games to be switched in the weeks leading up to them is beyond me.

We ended up with some absolute trash on Friday nights and the wonderful delayed waste of time that is Sunday afternoon football.

Does anyone else remember them advertising the Melbourne/Parramatta game as possibly the biggest smashing of all time? Seriously.

That just sums it all up.

Haven't looked at the alleged draw and probably won't bother but I can imagine it's a joke. Why the NRL doesn't introduce flex scheduling to allow games to be switched in the weeks leading up to them is beyond me.

We ended up with some absolute trash on Friday nights and the wonderful delayed waste of time that is Sunday afternoon football.

Does anyone else remember them advertising the Melbourne/Parramatta game as possibly the biggest smashing of all time? Seriously.

That just sums it all up.

That is the nature of a fixed draw, it happens. You cannot predict 100% accurately what will be a good close game and which won't. We've all seen over the years where a game involving 2 teams in the hunt for the semis turn into a thrashing. If we want to get people to the games, we have to stop pandering solely to the TV viewing audience.

Also, as was shown with round 20-26 last year, when they could have picked games involving teams which matter for the semis, they still scheduled "barn burners" like West Tigers v Parramatta on fta tv. The problem is the involvement of Channel 9 who pick game solely based on the clubs involved without looking at any other factors.

Last edited:

Eddie Lab

Juniors
Haven't looked at the alleged draw and probably won't bother but I can imagine it's a joke.

it isn't out yet but that is some lightening speed negativity, would you like a job as a Rugby League jurno?

all I care about is the Tigers/Raiders at canberra stadium. one of the few times I get to see them play.

I heard a brief mention on either last night on Fox sports or this morning on the radio (can't remember which I'm sorry) that the Broncos get 11 straight Friday night games to start the season :shock: If this is correct, all I can say, with due respect, is "boring, boring, boring".

I was incorrect. Just checked the draw. The Broncos get 10 of their first 11 games on a Friday night, but some are away games.

The Eagle

Juniors
If they were not going to play them on standalone weekends, then there was never going to be any change. The players would not wear it being expected to play Origin one week and play the next with no time off prior to an Origin game.

Origin and the weekly Friday Brisbane game are wank fests for Queensland,not one human gives the slightest f**k about either

Brisbane fans are like 'We're the biggest Club even though we are shit now'

Queensland fans are like 'origin is dead if we lose but if we win you gots to keep playing so we can copulate since our women look rougher than your men'

DJShaksta

First Grade
One day, not anytime soon sadly, all teams will play the same number of Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday games and get an equal share of exposure on FTA.

Seems like Canberra, Warriors, Storm and Titans will barely be seen on FTA and the Sharks will be propping up Monday nights as per usual, while sides that struggled for the last season like Tigers, Dragons and Broncos will hog all the FTA games.

How is that in any way intelligent or good for ratings.

Madunit - send that in an email to the NRL and ch9.
Excellent post mate.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the same Massoud claiming Souths v Manly R2 will be at Gosford when the ground is booked for A-League, and also suggested Eels v Dogs will be back at Pirtek "for the first time in over a decade" despite the fixture being played there in 2007.

I'd take his shit with a grain of salt. I think Buzz said four in first 11 rounds, who knows they might not have any after that?

turns out he was wrong.

Sharks have got 4 Monday games in the first 11 rounds.
First friday game in Round 16, with another in Round 19

broncos first 10 straight games are on friday night

DJShaksta

First Grade
turns out he was wrong.

Sharks have got 4 Monday games in the first 11 rounds.
First friday game in Round 16, with another in Round 19

broncos first 10 straight games are on friday night

Confirmed?
If so that's f&$ked.