What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Should we really be advocating yet another change for Penrith? They've pretty much used every colour possible since 1967.

Fair point, but....

a) with their current set they have Gold, Teal, Pink, Black and White. Leaving it as is doesnt really help the whole diluted brand image. One last change is necessary...

b) Pink is one of their current brand colours that is recognisable as a Panthers colour. Its not so much about changing the clubs image as streamlining the look; expanding one aspect and getting rid of the rest.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think the plan is to replace the teal trim on the Black strip with Gold, already seen on the White strip and training gear. Teal highlights will remain in the logo.

This is a good look; not a bad choice to go with. But...

There is nothing distinctly Panthers about it (this would change over time obviously, but they have already dont much of the grunt work with claiming Pink)

Pink would be the better choice branding wise aswell; recognisable, appealing and VERY distinct. Plus Penrith is the only team that has any major claim on it in all of Australia, it would just be a shame if they miss the opportunity.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Panthers should go with Black and teal home jersey. Pink away. That's it. Gold? Why?

Some clubs branding is all over theplace and they need to sort it out. Warriors, Panthers and St's (though they have an escuse as they are appeasing Illawarra) are the main culprits.

Saint Doc

Coach
Panthers should go with Black and teal home jersey. Pink away. That's it. Gold? Why?

Some clubs branding is all over theplace and they need to sort it out. Warriors, Panthers and St's (though they have an escuse as they are appeasing Illawarra) are the main culprits.

Saints? Hands down the most ridiculous post I've ever read on this forum. You are mental!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yeah not sure what the issue is with Saints' branding... one of the most iconic in the NRL

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeh, the only change Saints should make is a solid Red jersey (for the away/Steelers) trimmed with Black rather than white.

15885-st-george-illawarra-dragons-2014-kids-charity-jersey-740.jpg

(basically this without the panels or scales)

It would just claim Black as part of their core image, so they can use it in their peripheral merchandising...

They can do stuff like this:

SetWidth320-7SG4TJS2A-K-FRONT.JPG

for 9s and training jerseys, without it being questioned.

kdalymc

Bench
The thing that makes it look really bad, is the red shorts and socks.

Yeah, apart from 1998, not sure if all games either, illawarra only had white shorts n socks.
The high white butcher stripe is more a dragons thing also... And looks shite. And then the V bit...

Also why so much love for pink now...
Were any of you lot on here when gaz signed for that pink union team....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yeah, apart from 1998, not sure if all games either, illawarra only had white shorts n socks.
The high white butcher stripe is more a dragons thing also... And looks shite. And then the V bit...

Theres a saying in marketing:
"there is no such thing as a bad colour, just bad colour combinations..."

This is a bad combination...

882186-sonny-bill-williams-a-portrait.jpg

Pink and Black is good...

puma-pink-logo.jpg

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
These are this years WC Pirates SG Ball kit. Do you think IF we get a club these are the colours and designs we should stick with?

984149_10204176748717730_159771669780296660_n.jpg

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Love the colours, but NO 'V'!!!!

Looks like a Wests Tigers jersey you might pickup in a Bangkok market...

(also the panel colours are terrible)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Love the colours, but NO 'V'!!!!

Looks like a Wests Tigers jersey you might pickup in a Bangkok market...

(also the panel colours are terrible)

Yeh the tangerine down the side is just plain weird!

No thanks, I don't want to watch my team in a rugby union jersey!

Could of sworn the Steelers always had red socks, white shorts are correct.

kdalymc

Bench
Could of sworn the Steelers always had red socks, white shorts are correct.

Yeah you're right, they had white shorts red socks but swapped this in 1998.
Think they may have rocked the red shorts with the white jersey maybe.

But yeah red top to bottom is a bit meh, but I was more getting towards the jersey, poor design...
Surely if they can't use a pure steelers, by now someone could come up with a good hybrid...

kdalymc

Bench
Annnnnd I've found it.
Been searching since the titans game.

Combines both teams.
We need the red from illawarra, and the sleeve stripes.
The seem obsessed with the red v (and rightly so) so just invert the colours.
And boom. Finally a good hybrid representing st George illawarra.
Can be used as a full time away strip as red clashes with no team.
Really should/could just alternate each week but if the dragons jersey should take precedent then def rep this every away game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They all look like RU jerseys to me!
stripes = Union chevrons = league. Weird sublination patterns = everyone now a days. Sure there are soe cross overs but on the whole the chevrons are most associated with RL jerseys.