What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

Zigwaa

Bench
Titans close the gap round jersey
7501_18508_1608.jpg

Danish

Referee
There is a 2 page article in this week's Rugby League Week about jersey and merchandising sales. Apparently last year, rugby league the most sporting merchandise in Australia earning $166.5 million in licensing fees compared to the AFL who had $140 million - and that is without taking into account moneys from State of Origin. The same article says the ARU made a whole $2.4 million in merchandise revenue for the same period. Only the A-League would not divulge any figures.

Also the article says revenue for NRL sales is split this way:

1. For jersey sales: The NRL club gets 80% of the wholesale price of their jersey. The NRL then divides up the remaining 20% into a pool which is evenly distributed among all clubs.
  2. For all other off-field merchandise: The revenue is split with 40% to the club, 40% into a pool which is evenly distributed amongst all clubs, and 20% to the NRL.
The article goes on to list the top selling jerseys in various codes. They are:

1. New Zealand Warriors
  2. South Sydney Rabbitohs
  3. Sydney Roosters
  4. Brisbane Broncos
  5. St George-Illawarra Dragons.

When you consider the roosters are 3rd, and yet only had merchandise sales listed as a tad under $2 million in their annual report for 2013, there must be a f**king lot of money from merchandise sales going to everyone but the clubs.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
When you consider the roosters are 3rd, and yet only had merchandise sales listed as a tad under $2 million in their annual report for 2013, there must be a f**king lot of money from merchandise sales going to everyone but the clubs.

The fact that they only give out licences to use their brand, rather than producing in-house is where most of the lost profits are...

The clubs take no risk in a lot of their merchandising, they pass on potential losses to others.

ShaneO85

Juniors
That Titans Indigenous jersey is on a par with Brisbane's one from last year as the two best indigenous jerseys produced. Well done Tits. Not too often the Gold Coast get a jersey right but they nailed that one.

As for jersey cost i believe the NRL jerseys wholesale price is massively inflated from the usual $60-80 that a local club would pay. That is where Nike, Adidas, ISC, etc make back their money that they cough up as sponsors/manufacturers i believe.

Danish

Referee
The fact that they only give out licences to use their brand, rather than producing in-house is where most of the lost profits are...

The clubs take no risk in a lot of their merchandising, they pass on potential losses to others.

Considering how much money is in it you'd think it would be worth them taking the bloody risk

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Considering how much money is in it you'd think it would be worth them taking the bloody risk

And they probably will in the future. I would imagine the ARLC would invest in a centralised merch producer, either independently ("NRL Apparel") or in partnership with one or a few producers (ISC, CCC, ect); similar to the NFL...

Its not happening now thanks largely to Gallop's philosophy of "wait for someone else to *insert potentially profitiable initiative*, then hope some money comes back our way".

Gallop turned the NRL into a Neo-Liberal's wet dream, not realising that the clubs were: shitty business people/too stuck in the past/just downright poor, to produce investments and initiatives like this on their own.

Thank Christ the ARLC is taking the lead in pretty much everything today...

Last edited:

hrundi99

First Grade
That Titans Indigenous jersey is on a par with Brisbane's one from last year as the two best indigenous jerseys produced. Well done Tits. Not too often the Gold Coast get a jersey right but they nailed that one.

As for jersey cost i believe the NRL jerseys wholesale price is massively inflated from the usual $60-80 that a local club would pay. That is where Nike, Adidas, ISC, etc make back their money that they cough up as sponsors/manufacturers i believe.

When I worked for a club the jerseys were $110 wholesale inc GST. Lowest margin of any product in the merch line.

Diesel

Referee
What's the point of a Bathurst/Western Division jersey if you're not going to wear it on game day

Danish

Referee
What the f**k is that dragons jersey? They getting a sponsorship from Japan tourism for cherry blossom season or something?

cooko

Juniors
That is the dragons Indeginious jersey and I've got no idea what the influence is behind it. It does look a bit Japanese.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It's based on a tree native to the South Coast called the Illawarra Flame. It was picked for the indigenous round because it is recognised in the region for its importance to traditions of the local indigenous people...

p413280501-3.jpg

If i remember correctly, the "Illawarra Flame" was actually one other original proposals for the Wollongong club (before they chose Steelers). I dont know close it was to being selected, but the official reason for its removal from the list of potential names was because it was so heavily connected to local Union teams.

Edit: with regard to the spesific design, it could have been don much better. I love the texturing of the V, but i think if would have looked much better if the V was formed with the image of the tree rather than competing with it...

Last edited:

Latest posts