What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 NRL Jersey and Sponsorship Discussion pt 2

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Two years in a row, Broncos played Manly at Brookvale and played an unusual strip.

This one was in 1998:

hopoate%20%26Sailor%20fight_338439_p.jpg

First time I remember them using the 02 version was against Penrith, cause I remember the Broncos another alternitive strip which had dark blue at the back and they probably felt they would clash against Penrith.

I think this blue jersey may have been the original Broncos design...

There is a story that the initially wanted to be a team in blue until someone argued the club will be repressenting QLD, and should therefore be maroon.

thorson1987

Coach
Two years in a row, Broncos played Manly at Brookvale and played an unusual strip.

This one was in 1998:

hopoate%20%26Sailor%20fight_338439_p.jpg

First time I remember them using the 02 version was against Penrith, cause I remember the Broncos another alternitive strip which had dark blue at the back and they probably felt they would clash against Penrith.

Bozo should have followed through with his threat to Harrigan that night.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Has everyone seen the Marvel Jersey ad that was just released?? (if you havent, google this: #‎ISCMarvelHeroes‬ )

The script is a bit cringe worthy (but kids will love it), but the quality of video/the editing/the delivery by the players/the graphics were bloody FIRST CLASS!!

I imagine it was produced by ISC, but im hoping ARLC media people were involved just as an indication of their talents. If this is the direction that NRL marketing is heading, the future is bright...

Perth Red

Post Whore
How does the deal work? Have Marvel paid ISC or other way around? Are the clubs getting paid by ISC to promote them or just making some money from selling them? Why would Marvel do this now when the next Avengers film is ages away and the jerseys have no relationship to the new Marvel film?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
How does the deal work? Have Marvel paid ISC or other way around? Are the clubs getting paid by ISC to promote them or just making some money from selling them? Why would Marvel do this now when the next Avengers film is ages away and the jerseys have no relationship to the new Marvel film?

The Avengers movie is owned by Disney (so they would be the one promoting a new movie) but Disney doesnt own X-men. So, since Wolverine is there, it couldnt be their initiative...

Id wager it was an ISC idea, paying Marvel for the intellectual property. The NRL clubs wouldnt have been force, but with the incentive of money and a link towards a new market, would have been talked around pretty quickly.

This event seems more about getting RL noticed and selling NRL jerseys to comic book fans, than it is about promoting the comic book brands to RL fans...

I think this blue jersey may have been the original Broncos design...

There is a story that the initially wanted to be a team in blue until someone argued the club will be repressenting QLD, and should therefore be maroon.

Just so: Brisbane's (the city) colours are actually blue and gold, as seen in the BCC logo. The prevailing logic was that Queenslander's didn't want to support a team running out in blue in the height of the 80s for their first NSWRL team.

Brisbane_City_Council_logo.png

The Jack Galloway book goes into some detail about this. Might rip it off the bookshelf sometime this week.

Nuke

Staff member
Ken Arthurson or John Quayle (I forget who) once said that Brisbane initially wanted to be red and blue as, they believed, those two colours combined make maroon. (These two colours actually make purple, not maroon, but the story continues...). Newcastle officially applied for those colours before Brisbane did, so the NSWRL told Brisbane to find some other colours.

I have it in a book somewhere in my back room. I forget if it's in Arko's book or a book about the first 4yrs of the Newcastle Knights. I think it might be the latter, called 'One Town, One Team: The Story Of The Newcastle Knights' by Neil Jameson.

100%green

Juniors
Has everyone seen the Marvel Jersey ad that was just released?? (if you havent, google this: #‎ISCMarvelHeroes‬ )

The script is a bit cringe worthy (but kids will love it), but the quality of video/the editing/the delivery by the players/the graphics were bloody FIRST CLASS!!

I imagine it was produced by ISC, but im hoping ARLC media people were involved just as an indication of their talents. If this is the direction that NRL marketing is heading, the future is bright...

Judging from the quality i would say Marvel had a little bit to do with it. Still job well done to all involved.

100%green

Juniors

Marvel would be promoting their brand. Marvel and ISC would have entered in a deal together and the clubs were offered the chance to do it. If you are going to do a number of characters who better that with ISC who have 6 teams?

No one would have been forced to do it.

Knightmare

Coach
Ken Arthurson or John Quayle (I forget who) once said that Brisbane initially wanted to be red and blue as, they believed, those two colours combined make maroon. (These two colours actually make purple, not maroon, but the story continues...). Newcastle officially applied for those colours before Brisbane did, so the NSWRL told Brisbane to find some other colours.

I have it in a book somewhere in my back room. I forget if it's in Arko's book or a book about the first 4yrs of the Newcastle Knights. I think it might be the latter, called 'One Town, One Team: The Story Of The Newcastle Knights' by Neil Jameson.

That's the book. Haven't read it in about 15 years, but I wish they'd launch another one- the ate 90's/ early 00's and the Tinkler years would make for great reading...

Shire Panther

Juniors
This commemorative jersey is a tribute to the 1974 Western Division team that won Amco Cup. The jersey will be worn by Penrith players at appearances in the lead up to the Panthers Vs Sharks game to be hosted in Bathurst.
10523310_1538285049720701_6551081453567207846_n.jpg

Pierced Soul

First Grade
This commemorative jersey is a tribute to the 1974 Western Division team that won Amco Cup. The jersey will be worn by Penrith players at appearances in the lead up to the Panthers Vs Sharks game to be hosted in Bathurst.

thats a pretty decent jersey. i like that better than the fluro pink or white kids jersey they've been wearing

kdalymc

Bench

Really necessary to stop and start the V for the badges?....
This ever been done before ??

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Really necessary to stop and start the V for the badges?....
This ever been done before ??

I'd say yes, looking at Penrith's logo. Neither the positive or negative version would be visible on the V.

And for whoever asked no it won't be worn on-field v Sharks.

GAZF

First Grade
I'd say yes, looking at Penrith's logo. Neither the positive or negative version would be visible on the V.

And for whoever asked no it won't be worn on-field v Sharks.

Shrinking the Panthers logo down to fit an old-school shield would have looked good.