What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Pre-Season stuff

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you Google 'fractured kneecap NRL', you'll be hit with about 39,000 results, but apparently none of them can help Tim Moltzen.

"I'm the guinea pig at the moment. Unfortunately there's not too much out there that we know about the injury, so just take it as it comes I guess," Moltzen says.

The luckless Wests Tigers utility, of course, went down in early December clutching at his knee, prompting everyone to immediately think the worst.

Two knee reconstructions can wreak havoc with anyone's capacity to maintain a positive outlook, much less the bloke himself.

With the last two knee injuries, he was at least face to face with the year-long mental demons that come with them, but Moltzen is chasing shadows with this one.

This particular fractured kneecap seems to have even stumped the club doctor, who still hasn't been able to give the 25-year-old a timeframe on his eventual return in a season he was slated to start in the No. 6.

"That's the hardest thing about this one, the fact that we've never seen it before," Moltzen later told NRL.com. "It's not like a broken arm where you can see, 'Old mate's broken his arm before. We've seen it before.'

"With this we haven't seen it before. For the doc, he doesn't want to give me too much because if I go away thinking one thing, and then come back and it's worse... you know what I mean?"

You've got to give credit to the kid. No matter how many ladders he walks under, or black cats he's crossed, or the fact his knee is literally being held together by a piece of wire, he still won't flinch at the thought of giving the game away.

"None at all... I've got two more years so I've got to work hard at that," he says.

Especially if doctors keep using the phrase "at some stage".

"At some stage, I will [come back]. When you asked if I'd considered retiring... it's just that with this injury, we just don't know," he said.

"We'll only know gradually, we have to go week by week and see if it's healing. So once this has healed hopefully we can get the wire out. It's got a wire running through it. [You're] obviously playing footy on your knees a fair bit, so that could come in the way. So it just depends on how that all feels."

Speaking with reporters before addressing a primary school on the issue of bullying, Moltzen was brave enough to meet some frightening words himself and declare that he would come back from his third major injury in four years.

"I saw the doc last week and was expecting the fracture line to fade away but it hadn't. They could still see it," he said.

"He said it was nothing he's seen before and that it's only really ever happened with impact. Car accidents, people smashing their knees, people tripping over steps... but never the way I've done it, no."

Which, again, is still peculiar considering Google says that Dan Tolar too, had a wire stuffed in there in 2009 and former team-mate Bryce Gibbs cracked his kneecap one year later as well.

But, seeing as though our medical expertise goes about as far as examining a common cold, like Moltzen, we'll give the club doctor the benefit of the doubt.

"I've just got to try and be patient," Moltzen said.
http://www.nrl.com/mystery-still-surrounds-moltzen-injury/tabid/10874/newsid/76113/default.aspx

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first half of Chris Lawrence's NRL career hasn't lived up to its potential but that's only heightened the hunger in the Wests Tigers star.

When Lawrence became the Tigers' youngest debutant as a 17-year-old back in 2006, he had the league world at his feet and all the time in the world.

The exciting Tigers were fresh from their maiden premiership and State of Origin football beckoned for the skillful centre.

But entering his ninth season of NRL, Lawrence is yet to make a grand final and is still without a Blue jumper.

Injury has restricted him to an average of just 17 games a year and the Tigers' consistently low finishes on the ladder have hardly helped his representative cause.

However, here's the good news - Lawrence is only 25.

Time is still on his side, and he's in full training for the new season after recovering from shoulder surgery.

Lawrence wants to step up as a leader in 2014 in the post-Benji Marshall era, and is coveting a return to the representative frame, having last played for Australia in 2011.

"I suppose (injury setbacks) do make you more grateful - when you are injury free - and hungry," he said.

"It's about getting your body right. Injuries are part and parcel of the game and you just have to accept that they come at times. It's frustrating but once you get games under your belt you play yourself back into fitness and form.

"I'd love to play rep footy... but I haven't had many consecutive games in the past two years so for me that's my goal.

"If I do that and the Tigers are playing well and rep footy comes, then so be it."

Former Tigers coach Tim Sheens dabbled a couple of years ago with Lawrence at five-eighth, but there's no chance of the Campbelltown junior filling Marshall's boots in the No.6.

However, Lawrence does want to fill a leadership void and revealed he dreams of one day captaining the club.

"For me it's about leading by example and that's what I've liked to do and the way I've liked to teach the younger guys," he said.

"It's obviously a goal for the senior players to try and improve on the last few years which have obviously been disappointing."

On the injury front, the Tigers are confident Tim Simona (shoulder), Aaron Woods (knee) and Keith Galloway (toe) will be on deck for the start of the season or shortly after.

Tim Moltzen is also ahead of schedule despite fracturing his kneecap before Christmas.

http://www.nrl.com/tigers-lawrence-ready-for-big-nrl-season/tabid/10874/newsid/76079/default.aspx

FootynRacing

Juniors
Anasta named as captain this weekend with Farah out injured. I fear the writing is on the wall with Anasta wearing the 6 this season. I'm hoping Austin does something amazing in the trials to give him the jersey round 1 !!!

super_coach

First Grade
Funny all the pre season media fluff you get,the article on Moltzen Knee paints the picture of doubt and not knowing how long his recovery will take, but only a few days ago I read in another article that he was ahead of schedule in his rehab. The old saying any publicity is good publicity

OK, I'll play the devils advocate in regards to Anasta.

Firstly, I am not a fan and could not believe we signed him but, lets look at the listed team for the main trial game, I have included the number of 1st grade games along side the 13.

Confirmed Squads
Wests Tigers
1. James Tedesco
2. David Nofoaluma (15)
3. Keith Lulia (107)
4. Chris Lawrence (132)
5. Pat Richards (300)
6. Braith Anasta © (275)
7. Blake Austin (16)
8. Aaron Woods (64)
9. Dene Halatau (107)
10. Martin Taupau (21)
11. Bodene Thompson (64)
12. Curtis Sironen (25)
13. Adam Blair (168)

Now include a few players who we assume will be / might be / could be in the 17 in the season proper:
Galloway (169)
Farah (203)
Fulton (173)
Ben MM (52)
Ava Seumanufagai (17)
Simona (24)
Brooks (1)

Maybe Brooks won't be ready for round 1, I'd prefer a half and that is a 6 and 7 playing in the halves rather than Farah, Halatau or Fulton.

We don't know the left right side play yet but, maybe the thinking is to have Brooks play left inside Lawrence and Richards (432 games experience) rather than Simona and Nofoaluma (39 games between them).

Maybe the forwards will be forwards now and he, the coach wants Anasta there to help Brook's education because I think anyway that he, Anasta will be a better on field teacher than Benji.

Maybe that he, Anasta is starting at 6 and Austin is the one who will have to really impress to push Anasta aside when Brooks comes back.

But, like I said maybe the coaching staff wants an old head and isn't afraid to puch the forwards around.

Maybe ;-)

What gets me from the listed side is the No 13 - I would have preferred him to be used off the bench as a prop.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
Anasta takes up a large chunk of our cap, therefore he will be there wether we like it or not - bar injury & suspension

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anasta should not be within 3000kms of any education on any productive facet of sport or life currently being undertaken by Brooks

BuffaloRules

Coach
Anasta takes up a large chunk of our cap, therefore he will be there wether we like it or not - bar injury & suspension

Not really.

$200k per season apparently. Chump change next to Farah, Blair, Lawrence and what they will be paying Woods next year.

And shouldn't his (and for that matter anyone else's)form be more important than how much they are paying him?

Last edited:
Anasta should not be within 3000kms of any education on any productive facet of sport or life currently being undertaken by Brooks

Couldn't agree more MU,the guy is just not productive,he doesn't run the ball,is slow, hardly a tackling machine and has an ordinary kicking game.He has all the traits to run the water!:sarcasm:

Tiger05

First Grade
Couldn't agree more MU,the guy is just not productive,he doesn't run the ball,is slow, hardly a tackling machine and has an ordinary kicking game.He has all the traits to run the water!:sarcasm:

I think his kicking game can be pretty good at times. He can also tackle when they run it at him.

Basically though you are right. I just don't get why he is in the team. If he performs then there is no issues. I just can't see that happening at this point.

BrotherJim05

Bench
All i really give a shit about is that Brooks, Farah and Fulton are 100% fit come game one. Does anyone have an update how they are tracking re: injury? I'm hoping that their injuries are very minor and they just don't want to risk any further strain with a trial match. If anyone knows anything please let me know!

innsaneink

Referee
Not really.

$200k per season apparently. Chump change next to Farah, Blair, Lawrence and what they will be paying Woods next year.

And shouldn't his (and for that matter anyone else's)form be more important than how much they are paying him?
Im just telling you how it works.....even 200k to play reserves doesnt sit well with many when youre where we are at

Re education MU, I agree with you, what I meant by educating Brooks is pointing him in the right direction for the benefit of Brooks and the team and Benji would not have provided that. IMO

Anasta, IMO would help Brooks in ordering his forwards around. We don't need a 7 who is intimidated by older experienced forwards.

If he can do that for a month, then do his hammy, :cool:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Im just telling you how it works.....even 200k to play reserves doesnt sit well with many when youre where we are at

If Potter is still considering this bloke an automatic selection, then I reckon Potter will be gone by Round 10.

Lets hope for both our sakes this isn't the case.

The club needs a better year on the field this year to bring some people through the gates.

Anasta is not up to first grade standard anymore regardless of how much they are paying him.

Potter didn't sign him up so he doesn't owe him anything.

Last edited:
The boys had a strong win tonight. I haven't seen the game or any highlights but the reports are saying Stone Cold Blake Austin had a cracking game. Is there any chance he's a long term replacement for Benji and halves partner for Brooks?

DanOz

Juniors
This was certainly the policy under Sheens - this year will be the year Potter starts to feel comfortable at the helm, so it will be interesting to see what he does

DanOz

Juniors
My impression was that Anasta also played well in the trial.
I heard the same. I am predicting you will have both Anasta and Austin in the starting 17 Round 1. Anasta can always move to the pack and make 3 tackles and 2 hit ups if he doesn't perform at 6...