What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanoff

Juniors
How have they reduced capacity?

Isn't it just what bays are on sale?

One end is not for sale and covered with ads. So the stadium running reduced capacity. Obviously they havent taken them away, but the effect is the same.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Nice work Melbourne.

Great stadium. Probably the best looking 18k crowd in rugby league world wide

Makes 18k feel like 30k on TV

fanatique

Juniors
Crowds are a real concern. The comp is too long and there is a distinct lack of buzz and excitement around the game ATM. Remember reading one of the 5 year goals for the NRL (from 2 years ago?) was average crowds of 20000. Much soul searching to be done before we get there

Not a real concern no. A slight disappointment but not a real concern.

Every year this thread is a litany of "coulda woulda shoulda" about attendances. We are told that predictable attendances are "not good enough" or "poor" or "prove that one club or other has no fans"

The fact is that we have a game which attracts an average Home and away attendance of about 16,000. With some minor ups and downs we have been as near as dammit to 16,000 every year for a decade. That's not what we could, should, may, might or ought to draw.......it is what we DO IN FACT draw and it is no disaster. It's the best attended rugby league in the world.

20,000 is an aspiration. it would be great to reach it but not a disaster if we don't. We never have before and barring entirely unpredictable circumstances we probably cannot.!!!

If in 5 years time we are averaging anything north of 17,000 that is a result and I'll be delighted.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Every year this thread is a litany of "coulda woulda shoulda" about attendances. We are told that predictable attendances are "not good enough" or "poor" or "prove that one club or other has no fans"

The fact is that we have a game which attracts an average Home and away attendance of about 16,000. With some minor ups and downs we have been as near as dammit to 16,000 every year for a decade. That's not what we could, should, may, might or ought to draw.......it is what we DO IN FACT draw and it is no disaster. It's the best attended rugby league in the world.

20,000 is an aspiration. it would be great to reach it but not a disaster if we don't. We never have before and barring entirely unpredictable circumstances we probably cannot.!!!

If in 5 years time we are averaging anything north of 17,000 that is a result and I'll be delighted.

No i disagree. We are seeing the level for acceptable crowds lowered for the past 2 years and the result is seeing us head fornan average of 15k rather than any growth at all. The sudden decreases after a period of stability is a symptom of how the game is viewed by its fans at the moment and it isnmostly negative. Ticket prices, sub standard stadia and 3/4 of the season being night time footy has built up frustrations to the point where many are staying at home

DC_fan

Coach

It would want to be the best attended league competition in the world. All the other club competitions are either 2nd rate as in the ESL who draw crowds considerable less then the NRL does or 10th rate as in everywhere else who outside of a few family members and close friends draw no one.

In 2012 the ave. NRL crowd was 16,423. It dropped in 2013 and again last year. This year the average has continued to drop to a level not seen since 2008 and we havent reached Origin time when crowds really do suffer.

Having a crowd average of 20,000 is not an aspiration, it is a goal of the NRL. If the NRL and clubs were not concerned about crowds then why have they discounted ticket prices?

In my opinion crowds are a true indication on the strength of a sport.

Canard

Immortal
It would want to be the best attended league competition in the world. All the other club competitions are either 2nd rate as in the ESL who draw crowds considerable less then the NRL does or 10th rate as in everywhere else who outside of a few family members and close friends draw no one.

In 2012 the ave. NRL crowd was 16,423. It dropped in 2013 and again last year. This year the average has continued to drop to a level not seen since 2008 and we havent reached Origin time when crowds really do suffer.

Having a crowd average of 20,000 is not an aspiration, it is a goal of the NRL. If the NRL and clubs were not concerned about crowds then why have they discounted ticket prices?

Are these Stats correct or from Buzz Rothfield?

mongoose

Coach

So I guess you are one of those fools who think the Swans are the most popular team in Sydney even though they barely ever get more than 100k watching on TV in Sydney.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are these Stats correct or from Buzz Rothfield?

The 2012-2013 drop was about 500 per game to 15,940. The drop in 2014 was only another 35 per game to 15,905.

I have concerns about this season meeting those figures, just gotta hope for a strong final run home after Origin I guess. juro's graph's alone are cause for concern.

Canard

Immortal
The 2012-2013 drop was about 500 per game to 15,940. The drop in 2014 was only another 35 per game to 15,905.

I have concerns about this season meeting those figures, just gotta hope for a strong final run home after Origin I guess. juro's graph's alone are cause for concern.

Historically the bigger crowds do come with the run up to the finals.

Some positive's should be noted though.

The great turnout in Melbourne and Townsville for example

DC_fan

Coach
Historically the bigger crowds do come with the run up to the finals.

Some positive's should be noted though.

The great turnout in Melbourne and Townsville for example

These were two great positives for the weekend.

BuffaloRules

Coach
No i disagree. We are seeing the level for acceptable crowds lowered for the past 2 years and the result is seeing us head fornan average of 15k rather than any growth at all. The sudden decreases after a period of stability is a symptom of how the game is viewed by its fans at the moment and it isnmostly negative. Ticket prices, sub standard stadia and 3/4 of the season being night time footy has built up frustrations to the point where many are staying at home

Staying at home and still watching on TV it seems. Must be why projections are so high for the next TV deal.

Lower crowds are not unique to the NRL at present.The AFL, Super 15 and A-League crowds are all down as well the last couple of years. Perhaps there are other factors at work.

Look, I would love to see crowds on the increase as I enjoy going to games myself, but provided more income is flowing into the game through other areas, I don't think its wrist slashing time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If it wasn't for afl's ridiculous good attendance culture we wouldn't be so concerned with crowds I feel. I do think to say it doesn't matter as long as people are sat on their couches watching is a bit short sighted from a club revenue point of view and also from a public perception of the vibrancy of the sport. Seeing games played in empty stadiums is not going to make none fans become fans. Like it or not atmosphere at the ground adds to the entertainment spectacle of a game hence why we need better crowds. Playing gamEs in 25k stadiums with the aim of 20k crowds should be the goal.. Stop worrying about reconfiguring ANZ or putting a roof on allianz and get some decent 25k new club stadiums built.

Status
Not open for further replies.