What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
No other code has a fragile heartland like rugby league????

What is soccer's heartland in Australia? Is union's heartland strong?

BunniesMan

Immortal
No other code has a fragile heartland like rugby league????

What is soccer's heartland in Australia? Is union's heartland strong?

Soccer's biggest strength and biggest weakness is its lack of heartland. It not number 1 in any city, but it is more national than either of the biggest codes. As for Union, no part of Union in Australia is strong. It is in a distant 4th place.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Soccer's biggest strength and biggest weakness is its lack of heartland. It not number 1 in any city, but it is more national than either of the biggest codes. As for Union, no part of Union in Australia is strong. It is in a distant 4th place.

Um. No. Comment for NSW.

DC_fan

Coach
Round 10 CROWD STATS - 8 games
R10 Total: 118,009 | R10 Average: 14,751
Season 2015 CROWD STATS - 80 games
Season Total: 1,260,075 | Season Average: 15,751
------------------------------
Round 10 | 8 games | AGGREGATE: 134,969 | AVERAGE: 16,871
SEASON 2014 | 80 games | AGGREGATE: 1,358,725 | AVERAGE: 16,984

The scary thing is when you look at last seasons numbers when after Rnd.10 the average was 16,984. Then at the end of the premiership rounds the average was 15,905. That was a drop of 6.35 percent in the final 16 rounds.

if a similar drop in crowds happens this season then the season average which presently stands at 15,751 would fall to 14,750. Which would be the lowest average since 2004.

fanatique

Juniors
Staying at home and still watching on TV it seems. Must be why projections are so high for the next TV deal.

Lower crowds are not unique to the NRL at present.The AFL, Super 15 and A-League crowds are all down as well the last couple of years. Perhaps there are other factors at work.

Look, I would love to see crowds on the increase as I enjoy going to games myself, but provided more income is flowing into the game through other areas, I don't think its wrist slashing time.

That is my point.

Would we all like to see a 20,000 average? Of course.

Is a 16,000 average the end of the world? No.

We like all sports have to be a bit realistic. we have a match going fanbase. It rises of falls in incrementals over time. Evolutionary not revolutionary changes. In a mature league in a mature game in a mature developed consumer society like ours it is very difficult to reach out and take people from current habits and re train their leisure time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's hard to put a finger on exactly why fans are staying home.
1. Too many night games? well the daytime games have hardly been busting the gates down
2. Too expensive. Probably, it is silly to think a casual fan will rock up on the day and fork out $45. Having said that there are plenty of cheap ticket offers on that don't seem to be making much difference to crowd sizes
3. Stadia facilities. yes and no again. Sure no one want to sit or stand in the rain and taking the kids along to a ground with poor toilets and crappy expensive food is not enticing anyone. However even we have decent facilities the crowds are hardly booming
4. Over saturation. Maybe in Sydney but doesn't explain one team cities low crowds.
5. Low memberships. Well they are increasingly well but with little knock on effect in crowds.
So what is the problem? probably no one thing but a combination of many.

I must admit the reliance on the video ref is turning me off the game. For the first time in years this weekend I didn't sit through most games, I picked 3 that I liked the look of where normally I'd veg out and watch them all. if they are losing a die hard like me then no surprise the more casual fan is turning away.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is my point.

. In a mature league in a mature game in a mature developed consumer society like ours it is very difficult to reach out and take people from current habits and re train their leisure time.

The big bash would suggest otherwise?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Irrelevant, they have given the sports fan what they want and from year 1 have got both outstanding crowds and strong Tv audiences. The NRL would do well to learn from them and stop messing about with the fabric of the game and peeing fans off in the process. Going to a big bash game is an event and lots of fun. Did Monday night at Brookvale look like a lot of fun for those hardy 8000?

Brutus

Referee

Fair point.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
It has pretty much rained probably 6 weekends in Sydney since the season started.

Even on the dry weekends the crowds have been sub standard.

As for the ticket offers, the advertising of those really needs to step up a gear so as its not just preaching to the converted. They really need fta adverts during primetime like the afl do for the swans/giants/suns/lions. Everybody knows who is playing but in general most people have been ripped off by now and make a decision not to go based on that unless they see otherwise

BuffaloRules

Coach
Irrelevant, they have given the sports fan what they want and from year 1 have got both outstanding crowds and strong Tv audiences. The NRL would do well to learn from them and stop messing about with the fabric of the game and peeing fans off in the process. Going to a big bash game is an event and lots of fun. Did Monday night at Brookvale look like a lot of fun for those hardy 8000?

Yes they have given Sports fans something to watch in the middle of summer when there are no other sports on... Why did it take them so long?

So what do the NRL fans want?

And the "Big Bash" is not messing with the "fabric" of cricket?

Canard

Immortal

And it's cheap.

$20 or so in Melbourne.

I

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Chanel V has gold coast suns and giants adds all over it.

I can't work out why. ?

They seem to be preaching. To the un converted.

What a dumb idea. Gotta fish where the fish are NRL has always be told me

lockyno1

Post Whore
I keep harping on about it but if you give people a POOR match day experience, crowds will be poor. Fact is families and individuals are more careful with where their money goes, so to get them to spend that money they have to get something they won't get at the pub or home.

Some obvious issues

1. Where is the gameday experience? Give fans some entertainment.
2. Halftime breaks limited to 10 minutes.
3. Start the game on time. 7:40 means 7:40 not 7:50.
4. Memberships have to be structured better.

The first 3 points are absolutely simple. Halftime entertainment is easy and the other two are so easy it isn't funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.