What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutus

Referee
Chanel V has gold coast suns and giants adds all over it.

I can't work out why. ?

They seem to be preaching. To the un converted.

What a dumb idea. Gotta fish where the fish are NRL has always be told me

Another one of Gallop's great quotes.

You are right though. The NRL is always preaching to the converted.

fanatique

Juniors
It's hard to put a finger on exactly why fans are staying home.
1. Too many night games? well the daytime games have hardly been busting the gates down
2. Too expensive. Probably, it is silly to think a casual fan will rock up on the day and fork out $45. Having said that there are plenty of cheap ticket offers on that don't seem to be making much difference to crowd sizes
3. Stadia facilities. yes and no again. Sure no one want to sit or stand in the rain and taking the kids along to a ground with poor toilets and crappy expensive food is not enticing anyone. However even we have decent facilities the crowds are hardly booming
4. Over saturation. Maybe in Sydney but doesn't explain one team cities low crowds.
5. Low memberships. Well they are increasingly well but with little knock on effect in crowds.
So what is the problem? probably no one thing but a combination of many.

I must admit the reliance on the video ref is turning me off the game. For the first time in years this weekend I didn't sit through most games, I picked 3 that I liked the look of where normally I'd veg out and watch them all. if they are losing a die hard like me then no surprise the more casual fan is turning away.

Sensible post mate.

Most posters on here are pretty much core fans. match goers, TV watchers, talk about the game in the bar, buy the newspaper for the sports sections etc etc. On here talk of attendance is preaching to the converted.

Out there in the real world a whole host of reasons and excuses are given for why crowds resolutely refuse to grow to 20,000. You list some of them.

The fact is that the non committed are deeply resistant to going. Dropping a few dollars from ticket price, improving food or facilities etc really won't budge them. Even free tickets would see an instant surge followed by drop off because the fundamental reason why people don't go is it that......they don't want to.

I think we try to keep the integrity of the sport. Play to its strengths. Focus on the fans we have and hope to attract a few thousand more. There are no magic bullets there. There will be no across the board surge. Keep the game's integrity and they will come....not in new thousands but perhaps in new hundreds and that would be a good result.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
With the amount of sponsored posts the NRL has on Facebook for Origin 1 they should have just started off with $50 tickets.....

Suitman

Post Whore
With the amount of sponsored posts the NRL has on Facebook for Origin 1 they should have just started off with $50 tickets.....

The amount of free tickets being given out by media outlets is just plain embarrassing. The NRL are just a greedy bunch of merkins.
They f**ked up right from the start.

Suity

The amount of free tickets being given out by media outlets is just plain embarrassing. The NRL are just a greedy bunch of merkins.

Suity

Also, the rise in ticket prices and NRL fans rejecting them shows how much Origin is truly worth to them. So much for premium price for premium product it what the NRL was aiming for but it failed badly.

West Tigers/Cowboys will be a empty Campbelltown suburban ground just like last year's disgraceful 7k on a Saturday. GWS level crowd in West Sydney 'heartland'.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Suity

In category Diamond they have only sold ONE bay (107) and ten rows of 108 - the two centreline bays. A disaster.

Surely the rest of those Diamond seats (106, 105, 109, 110, 105-2, 110-2) will be given out to NRL volunteers or whatever, because they are probably only selling two seats every 12 hours.

Canard

Immortal
Also, the rise in ticket prices and NRL fans rejecting them shows how much Origin is truly worth to them. So much for premium price for premium product it what the NRL was aiming for but it failed badly.

West Tigers/Cowboys will be a t Campbelltown suburban ground just like last year's disgraceful 7k on a Saturday. GWS level crowd in West Sydney 'heartland'.

AFL troll is obvious troll.

AFL troll is obvious troll.

Nope, true NRL fan who mentions the inconvenient truths about the heartlands. Truth that alot of fans don't want to hear such as the lack of passion in NSW for origin, empty suburban grounds for clubs with decades of history and thousands of empty seats in the 100+ year derby games such as Souths/Roosters. All that history, time and culture yet thousands of empty seats.

guyver78

Juniors

West Tigers/Cowboys will be a empty Campbelltown suburban ground just like last year's disgraceful 7k on a Saturday. GWS level crowd in West Sydney 'heartland'.

Looks like you're finally starting to make some sense instead of spinning that "fans lack passion" garbage.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to go to the game but at $500+ for 2 tickets in decent seats no thanks.

There's just no value for money in that even if it is an origin game.

guyver78

Juniors
I keep harping on about it but if you give people a POOR match day experience, crowds will be poor. Fact is families and individuals are more careful with where their money goes, so to get them to spend that money they have to get something they won't get at the pub or home.

Some obvious issues

1. Where is the gameday experience? Give fans some entertainment.
2. Halftime breaks limited to 10 minutes.
3. Start the game on time. 7:40 means 7:40 not 7:50.
4. Memberships have to be structured better.

The first 3 points are absolutely simple. Halftime entertainment is easy and the other two are so easy it isn't funny.

GOOD POST...

Sometimes we fail to see that if we take fans such as us out of the equation who just love plain footy the average person looks for "value for money" & the NRL is generally pretty poor at delivering that

some11

Referee
Still a week out from the game, would expect around 70k once they really go crazy giving tickets away.

lockyno1

Post Whore
GOOD POST...

Sometimes we fail to see that if we take fans such as us out of the equation who just love plain footy the average person looks for "value for money" & the NRL is generally pretty poor at delivering that

I'm not sure why it is so obvious to me and for that matter the blokes I work with and yet the NRL doesn't think it is an issue. People who love footy will go to the games. It is about getting other people to the ground, people that are deciding between sports, movies, concerts. These people we can get to the games IF we market the game well and IF we make it better on match day. The match day experience is terrible at the NRL with the exception of Penrith who seem to do it well.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Still a week out from the game, would expect around 70k once they really go crazy giving tickets away.

20K in a week is pushing it though. That said if they drop the tickets to $40-50 only I'll consider it. I'm not paying $150-300 for a ticket though, absolute extortion.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
50K, wow is that all??? Is that official?

You going to any of the games this year SLR? Remember you flew down to Sydney last year if memory serves me correctly...

Yep! All three this year, keen for game two especially.

Saw the pax on instagram. Heaps of media outlets saying 25,000 general public tickets left.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
20K in a week is pushing it though. That said if they drop the tickets to $40-50 only I'll consider it. I'm not paying $150-300 for a ticket though, absolute extortion.

What are you talking about man!! They have been $50 for adults for two weeks now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts