What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mongoose

Coach
People just do not have significnant dollars to spend on discretionaries. The economy is stuffed and the rugby league heartland supporter is significantly affected. The NRL does not see this at all. David Smith just does not understand the NRL market at all and neither do his highly paid lackies. He is taking the game out of reach of the core market and aiming for the same customers that the ARU and AFL appeal to. The upper middle class.

The NRL just does not have the appeal of this segment. What people outside of Sydney don't get is that the upper middle and upper class in Sydney in general does not give 2 hoots about Rugby League. I have spend the past 15 years working in 2 large global IT companies and mixing with sales, marketing, senior delivery managers etc etc and only a tiny % care for league. There is a much greater interest in talking about the Rugby or God forbid, AFL.

A lot of my mates that I grew up with loving Rugby League have lost interest in the game overtime due to a perception that results of matches are contrived to certain clubs favoured by the NRL, inconsistencies with the MRC and judiciary process, high cost of attending games and match timeslots that are not family friendly to attend. I cannot say I blame them either.

so some wankers come and live in potts point or paddington or wherever and instead of supporting the teams that have represented these areas for over 100 years they go for some transplanted AFL club from Melbourne... true sydney folk they are:sarcasm:

Brutus

Referee
Why are the Waratahs' crowds so shit then when they play in their heartland??

That's right - union doesn't have a heartland.

hutch

First Grade
I struggle to believe people have stopped following the sport of rugby league because they believe results are decided because of clubs favoured by the NRL, judiciary processes or non family friendly times.

hutch

First Grade

But buzz told me that every other sports crowds are growing in Sydney and only rugby leagues are falling! Apparently the Waratahs have a loyal and growing fan base because the apparently won last year!

Heritage XIII

Juniors

Correct. Add the successful Brumbies who have lost 6-8,000 in crowd averages, despite still being successful, sub 10,000 averages for Rebels, Force, then take into account woeful tv ratings for super rugby, where are all these rich bankers & IT people?

Read a good article in Financial Review where the NRL is absolutely killing it in social media, attracting all age demographics in FTA tv ratings, then these arguments that the sport has little following outside the so called working classes is FALSE.

I will say again, the NRL is in the top 20 'football' code sports for spectator averages (someone can confirm if this is still the case) yet would have on a whole, the worst facilities for spectators particularly Sydney. For a first class city, the standard of rectangular stadiums is woeful & inadequate.

This new funding package for stadiums in Sydney is a make or break opportunity for the sport.

The only mistake I will have little forgiveness toward Smith is if he gets Allianz across the line ahead of Homebush. A 75,000 rectangular Homebush will catipult the NRL to new heights in terms of crowds commensurate with its other successful indicators-tv ratings, merchandise sales, social media following etc.

Chook Norris

First Grade
A lot of my mates that I grew up with loving Rugby League have lost interest in the game overtime due to a perception that results of matches are contrived to certain clubs favoured by the NRL, inconsistencies with the MRC and judiciary process, high cost of attending games and match timeslots that are not family friendly to attend. I cannot say I blame them either.

I struggle to believe people have stopped following the sport of rugby league because they believe results are decided because of clubs favoured by the NRL, judiciary processes or non family friendly times.

Actually, Cockadoodledoo is completely right. I'm guessing you, Hutch, have quite a few friends who are passionate about league, keep in mind though that this is not the reality for the average fan. I have seen this with a lot of my friends and some of my family as well who were once passionate about league. If you had an interest in a sport, but over time became convinced the sport's results were all fixed, would you actually still follow it? No you wouldn't. At the very least your passion for the game would sharply decline to the point where you'd stop giving a toss

The main worry for me is that the NRL fans that i knew in high school cared more about the sport at a young age up till about late high school, and after that they stopped caring much at all. It's as though the NRL is seen as something you associate with as being childish and unprofessional. This is why it's so important that the players, the game, and management itself cleans up its 'immature' image

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
You would have thought when Sydney won the Olympics

The nswrl would have basically put a full time lobbyist on a full time socog brief

If they were smart NRL could have owned anz by now. And it would probably ,65k rectangular with a roof

Once in a lifetime opportunity. Only come around once in a lifetime. Funny that

Brutus

Referee
But buzz told me that every other sports crowds are growing in Sydney and only rugby leagues are falling! Apparently the Waratahs have a loyal and growing fan base because the apparently won last year!

Yeah, Buzz reckons the Roosters have 3 fans in the eastern suburbs yet every other sport is massive in that area.

The Waratahs are huge with their 15,000 crowds. One team for the entire state of NSW.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Really couldn't expect much better than that given the weather and the fact that Origin players are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.