What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Sydneysiders are such slack merkins when it comes to attending live sports. I don't get it. Is it the sheer quantity of games they can attend that breeds contempt?

Third straight sub 30k for the Broncos, yet there top of the ladder. What's the excuses to not attend? Sub 30k is normally for Lions/Reds not the Broncos. Broncos should be getting higher crowds being top of the ladder not sub 30k.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Third straight sub 30k for the Broncos, yet there top of the ladder. What's the excuses to not attend? Sub 30k is normally for Lions/Reds not the Broncos. Broncos should be getting higher crowds being top of the ladder not sub 30k.

Too right. I'm sick of the same people hanging around football club management controlling things and not even rectifying the fact there were 25,000 empty seats for a top of the table club in a great stadium. As soon as a CEO moves on from a club, surprise surprise they turn up at another club despite being crap in their last club. It's just jobs for the boys! I suppose Smith has a lot of work cut out for himself.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

Yep the fact the reds can get a similar crowd v south african and NZ sides is a blight on broncos fans. Then consider the average crowds in adelaude and perth for their afl sides and ot makss the broncos look very average in what is the best purpose built stadium for rugby league in australia.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Too right. I'm sick of the same people hanging around football club management controlling things and not even rectifying the fact there were 25,000 empty seats for a top of the table club in a great stadium. As soon as a CEO moves on from a club, surprise surprise they turn up at another club despite being crap in their last club. It's just jobs for the boys! I suppose Smith has a lot of work cut out for himself.

Netball is the #1 sport in Brisbane now

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Yep the fact the reds can get a similar crowd v south african and NZ sides is a blight on broncos fans. Then consider the average crowds in adelaude and perth for their afl sides and ot makss the broncos look very average in what is the best purpose built stadium for rugby league in australia.

For games like PENRITH AND NEWCASTLE ticket prices need to be slashed. NRL is a sport that is much better to watch at home, AFL is all about watching live and beneficial from a height.

The Reds got a SMALLER CROWD than last night against the Tahs this year. Calm your farms.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee

Agree. A concern.

At least they don't get crowd in the teens anymore.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
For games like PENRITH AND NEWCASTLE ticket prices need to be slashed. NRL is a sport that is much better to watch at home, AFL is all about watching live and beneficial from a height.

The Reds got a SMALLER CROWD than last night against the Tahs this year. Calm your farms.

I do not buy into the superior on tv aginst going to the ground line in any sport, rugby league included. Add in the annoying commentators like rabs and gud on nine and lack of atmosphere coming across the screen compared to at the ground and it makes it no contest imo

What were the ticket prices last night?

insert.pause

First Grade
during origin against penrith, manly & knights with every game on a Friday night and also on FTA, what's the selling point? The club are restricted to who they can market to because they only ever play friday nights, forget about families & older supporters, you are basically left with young to middle aged males. The game has bigger problems than the Broncos crowds, like Sydney and the fact the defending premiers with 35k members playing against a sydney club get outdrawn by a AFL game by 23k people last night!

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I do not buy into the superior on tv aginst going to the ground line in any sport, rugby league included. Add in the annoying commentators like rabs and gud on nine and lack of atmosphere coming across the screen compared to at the ground and it makes it no contest imo

http://www.broncos.com.au/tickets.html

See the ticket pricing - the lowest price bracket is the Monday games. White category last night for adults was $30 plus fees, i think. Family of four $80ish...

Sometimes I would rather sit at home on a Friday night than deal with paying $62- $90 for a decent seat.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Now now lads
They' ll be tears & hissy fits ( and some pants shitting ) if this criticism of the mighty Boncos continues
Dey have da buggest cwowds dont cha know
Da.. Buggest

And according to their circle jerk fans , thats the only thing to consider:sarcasm:

:lol:

:crazy:

JW

Coach
Agree. A concern.

At least they don't get crowd in the teens anymore.

Yeah, while the weak run of crowds are a bit of concern I think the bigger issue is that there doesn't seem to be much (visible) effort being put into continuing the growth we've had since 2000 or so when we were coming of a low of 19K or whatever it was.

The club isn't going to be seeing 40K crowds on a weekly basis overnight but the year on year increases since moving back to Lang Park were certainly heading that way.

But at the same time, an obviously weak crowd and weak fixture pulling 27K - although not encouraging - isn't 'too' bad. I can clearly recall a few 15K jobs (Tigers/Eels?) in the seasons around our last premiership and crowds of around 22-23K were commonplace outside the big matches. Ideally though, I would feel more encouraged if 30K, give or take, was a floor for all matches at this point. But as I said, I think more needs to be done to keep that growth ticking along as we've seem to hit a brick wall at 33K over the last few years.

insert.pause

First Grade
http://www.broncos.com.au/tickets.html

See the ticket pricing - the lowest price bracket is the Monday games. White category last night for adults was $25 plus fees, i think. Family of four $80ish...

Sometimes I would rather sit at home on a Friday night than deal with paying $62- $90 for a decent seat.

which is why being a member is cheaper but you can't market memberships to a lot of people because they don't want to commit to 10+ friday nights, which is why the club has problems converting people who may go to a handful of games each year to members which would cost them less.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Me neither, at an afl game you end up watching half of it on the big screen at the ground as it so far away from you. At a decent RL stadium the game live is awesome, watching a game from the new east stand at nib is brilliant, right on top of the action. I've never been to any sport that is better experience on TV than at the event, except maybe F1 but even that was a great day out.

Brutus

Referee
Yeah, while the weak run of crowds are a bit of concern I think the bigger issue is that there doesn't seem to be much (visible) effort being put into continuing the growth we've had since 2000 or so when we were coming of a low of 19K or whatever it was.

The club isn't going to be seeing 40K crowds on a weekly basis overnight but the year on year increases since moving back to Lang Park were certainly heading that way.

But at the same time, an obviously weak crowd and weak fixture pulling 27K - although not encouraging - isn't 'too' bad. I can clearly recall a few 15K jobs (Tigers/Eels?) in the seasons around our last premiership and crowds of around 22-23K were commonplace outside the big matches. Ideally though, I would feel more encouraged if 30K, give or take, was a floor for all matches at this point. But as I said, I think more needs to be done to keep that growth ticking along as we've seem to hit a brick wall at 33K over the last few years.

I remember going to Lang Park as a kid in 89 to see Brisbane play Parra on a fine Sunday arvo where the crowd was 33k. This crowd was viewed as incredible at the time. At least now 33k is the average for the Broncos and not the peak.

Back in those days though 33k was all you could fit into Lang Park. I think a few thousand were turned away at the gate.

Broncs got a couple of plus 30k crowds the following year against the Raiders and Tigers. They struggled against the Tigers in the early days, but they finally beat them in that 1990 Lang Park fixture.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Me neither, at an afl game you end up watching half of it on the big screen at the ground as it so far away from you. At a decent RL stadium the game live is awesome, watching a game from the new east stand at nib is brilliant, right on top of the action. I've never been to any sport that is better experience on TV than at the event, except maybe F1 but even that was a great day out.

Yeah sitting sideline at Suncorp is up to $90 a ticket. You aren't likely to pay that for a 1st vs 15th game are you?

I do agree that Broncos game should be a little bigger but expectations of 40,000 should only be made if we get four tix for $20 offers.

I remember going to Lang Park as a kid in 89 to see Brisbane play Parra on a fine Sunday arvo where the crowd was 33k. This crowd was viewed as incredible at the time. At least now 33k is the average for the Broncos and not the peak.

Back in those days though 33k was all you could fit into Lang Park. I think a few thousand were turned away at the gate.

Broncs got a couple of plus 30k crowds the following year against the Raiders and Tigers. They struggled against the Tigers in the early days, but they finally beat them in that 1990 Lang Park fixture.

I went to see the Raiders in 1990 and Lang Park was packed to the rafters. I was sitting at the northern end and it is one of my enduring memories of the early days. As you said, we have come a long way from when those were extraordinary crowds. Still have a photo of me in a Peerless replica (which came without the collars) that day.

As I have said here plenty of times before, though: anyone who lived through the post-SL days at ANZ where crowds in the teens were the norm has a smile at the atmosphere and experience of a "small" crowd like 27k at Suncorp these days.

Similar crowds? They do against NZ teams (unsurprisingly given the number of QueeNZlanders living in SEQ) but certainly not against South African teams, which as you can see have crowds a good 20% lower.

Reds crowds against NZ teams in 2015: 26374, 25841
Reds crowds against SA teams in 2015: 19199, 20899

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts