What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazza

Immortal
What do you expect when rugby league puts ZERO effort into game day experience? I mean seriously we are in the 21st Century, people want more than just the game itself. It should always be an event. Penrith do this better than most team actually. Put on a pre match, do some form of half time entertainment, could be something silly like a sack race. Just something, it isn't hard.

The game is at a time that is hard to get to at a location poorly served by transport, with an expensive ticket to get to stand on some dirt - I wasn't planning to go but then I heard that there was a half time sack race

Perth Red

Post Whore
The people that care the least are the people broadcasting League, filling seats doesn't do them any good, less people at the game means more watching add laden pre/during/after game bullshit. Paint the seats different colours and be done with it, no-one cares where the money's coming from . . . could even play recordings of Origin crowds at every game for 'atmosphere'

Not really, if it gets to the point where hardly anyone is at a game it looses its appeal, atmosphere is a big part of top tier sport on TV as much as at stadiums. I turned off the raiders game at HT as it was devoid of any atmosphere which made the whole viewing experience boring to watch S a neutral. If no one from Canberra cares about the game why should I? Put on the Warriors v Leeds game instead, on the field the quality was arguably not as good but it was far more entertaining to watch with a 75% full loud crowd.

And like I have said many times before you can earn more money as a club from filling stadiums, selling merch and recruiting members than you can from the TV grant if you get it right.

DarceyLawler

Juniors
More lame excuses as to why people don't go to games, when we had a floating schedule everyone whinged and blamed it for poor crowds, we have now had a fixed draw for 3 years and crowds have gotten worse, it's always the next excuse to hide the fact that people aren't going to games because the experience isn't as good as watching on TV. As the TV coverage has become more and more pervasive there is little left in the live game experience to compete with it, and it's snowballed, as more and more people desert the stadiums any atmosphere that could hope to compete with TV is lost.

This is a straw man - "More and more people desert the stadiums" - The crowd fluctuations are statistically fairly insignificant 3%-4% up or down - probably depending on the form of the most popular teams, the weather. What has happened since 2005 is that crowds have plateaued....and nothing will change that until Sydney gets a big rectangular stadium with decent transport links.

If the Newcastle find a star plus the Eels, Bulldogs both run for the finals next year, then crowds will probably rise 5% but that won't be because "it's better than on TV" or the "gameday experience" has magically improved.

hutch

First Grade
Have any sports crowds grown over the last decade? Afl averaged more in 1996 than they did last year, the Aleague averaged more in 07/08 than it did last year and rugby union crowds are almost half of what they were a decade ago. All we hear about are our crowds are falling when they have held on more than the other codes over the last 10 years.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Not really, if it gets to the point where hardly anyone is at a game it looses its appeal, atmosphere is a big part of top tier sport on TV as much as at stadiums. I turned off the raiders game at HT as it was devoid of any atmosphere which made the whole viewing experience boring to watch S a neutral. If no one from Canberra cares about the game why should I? Put on the Warriors v Leeds game instead, on the field the quality was arguably not as good but it was far more entertaining to watch with a 75% full loud crowd.

You are in the minority. Most TV viewers could not care less what the crowd looks like, they watch the game for what happens on the field and do not switch off just because the stands are empty.

Crowd figures do not impact TV ratings. We are the most supported competition in the country by a mile, but the problem will always be getting people to attend matches in person.

insert.pause

First Grade
This is a straw man - "More and more people desert the stadiums" - The crowd fluctuations are statistically fairly insignificant 3%-4% up or down - probably depending on the form of the most popular teams, the weather. What has happened since 2005 is that crowds have plateaued....and nothing will change that until Sydney gets a big rectangular stadium with decent transport links.

If the Newcastle find a star plus the Eels, Bulldogs both run for the finals next year, then crowds will probably rise 5% but that won't be because "it's better than on TV" or the "gameday experience" has magically improved.

disagree, there's enough of a trend over the last few years to suggest crowds have been declining steadily and despite blockbuster games on sunny afternoons with free transport to and from the stadium people still aren't going.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are in the minority. Most TV viewers could not care less what the crowd looks like, they watch the game for what happens on the field and do not switch off just because the stands are empty.

you know this how? What was Fri viewing figures compared to a game at a packed stadium with a great atmosphere? Be interesting to look at peak viewing and drop off as a comparative study, that would tell us if it does or does not make a difference. Anyone know a MSc student looking for a project lol?

I defy anyone to say that watching the raiders game was more enjoyable than watching the Bulldogs game in front of the atmospheric crowd the other night. On the field the Raiders game was a better contest but the atmosphere at the dogs made it a great spectacle to watch.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
A comment for Cowboysfury.

Broncos pax was 29k yesterday, would be over 30k by now.

I just booked my tickets for the Saturday night Wallabies v Springboks international rugby test and the pax is only 35,100.

Brisbane Roar play Liverpool on Friday, a huge event, that is very nearly sold out, so we are looking at 110k-ish for the three days.

So regardless of the Broncos pulling the smallest attendance the fact that they will pull a likely 30-32k is pretty good.

I just booked my tickets for the Saturday night Wallabies v Springboks international rugby test and the pax is only 35,100.

Brisbane Roar play Liverpool on Friday, a huge event, that is very nearly sold out, so we are looking at 110k-ish for the three days.

So regardless of the Broncos pulling the smallest attendance the fact that they will pull a likely 30-32k is pretty good.

Top of the table + Sunday afternoon slot that Broncos supporters want and only 32k. That's pretty poor for a top of the table team, the run of 30k attendances for the Broncos should of end this week. If Broncos supporters want more Sunday afternoon slots they need to draw a stronger crowd than the usual Friday numbers.

Top of the table and pulling 30-32k should be a concern actually, should be 35-40k at 1st place.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Top of the table + Sunday afternoon slot that Broncos supporters want and only 32k. That's pretty poor for a top of the table team, the run of 30k attendances for the Broncos should of end this week. If Broncos supporters want more Sunday afternoon slots they need to draw a stronger crowd than the usual Friday numbers.

Top of the table and pulling 30-32k should be a concern actually, should be 35-40k at 1st place.

:D :lol:

Id prefer Saturday nights.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The scheduling of blockbusters on Thursday nights as a rights agreement is being negotiated is no bad thing. It may cost us a few thousand at the gate in 2015, but if it produces some blockbuster ratings that give us some leverage in getting a better (financially, and with more control over the draw) agreement that can't be a bad thing. Every little bit helps, I have no doubt there will be some great TV numbers.

Not if it leads to 24 weeks of thursday night football! Which going by what masters has written today and kent a week or so ago is a possiblity.

They seem to be thinking along the lines of keeping friday night as broncos night and in that case, i guess they don't care what NSW people watch on a friday night then? I know i can only stomach a few rounds a most of that

Have any sports crowds grown over the last decade? Afl averaged more in 1996 than they did last year, the Aleague averaged more in 07/08 than it did last year and rugby union crowds are almost half of what they were a decade ago. All we hear about are our crowds are falling when they have held on more than the other codes over the last 10 years.

This is very true. All we heard during the GFC was that Rugby League was going to be the hardest hit and clubs would fold.

We have actually been quite resilient. Crowds are down a bit but nothing compared to union. We have also had MNF added on a permanent basis and Thursday nights for parts of the last 2 seasons.

Growing to a 20k average is definitely a huge ask. We only seem to hit that figure for a round 2 or 3 times a year at the moment

Raiderdave

First Grade

:roll:
Seriously. This wanker has an excuse for every game
This pathetic dribble above does not explain a table topping side.. the only side in the NRL in a city of over 2 million struggling to top 30k For most games .. When up against nothing
Does it spastic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.