What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch part III

Cockosh

Juniors
Fair enough mate but if you didn't know any better you'd think easts are in the bottom 2-3. Like I said our crowds are crap but considering our geographic base it isn't surprising. It is what it is.
Cowboys are successful this year yet they are on par with us. Same with sharks.
I'm not defending our crowds I'm just pointing out how disproportionate the criticism of us is.
I go to every game and most away games in Sydney. Would love massive crowds each week as the atmosphere at Allianz is awesome when there is a decent crowd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I guess cowboys don't get the boost of away clubs fans like the Sydney clubs get though? That would prob add 10-15% onto your avg, more if it is big games like Anzac or Easter holiday games against a local Sydney team. cowboys avg is 99% Cowboys fans.

Roosters do alright but with success and decent facilities I guess many think they should be one of the best supported in the comp. Maybe they need to broaden their fan appeal base given their ltd geographical population? The link up with Gosford can only help as long as they are legit, in it for the long term and take enough games there to get the locals attached to them.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Comparing a 25 year old club from Townsville with a 107 year club from the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.

I don't think Rooster's should cop all the crap re awful crowds, however the comparison with NQ is pointless.

Cockosh

Juniors
Comparing a 25 year old club from Townsville with a 107 year club from the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney.

I don't think Rooster's should cop all the crap re awful crowds, however the comparison with NQ is pointless.

The Broncos arent 107 years old either yet have the most support. I don't think the age of the club has any relevance.

Roosters could also argue that we have better averages than merged clubs who have the benefit of two supporter bases.

It also isn't fair to compare roosters with swans and Waratahs who have the entire city to themselves.

Again, this is about the disproportionate criticism.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
The Broncos arent 107 years old either yet have the most support. I don't think the age of the club has any relevance.

Roosters could also argue that we have better averages than merged clubs who have the benefit of two supporter bases.

It also isn't fair to compare roosters with swans and Waratahs who have the entire city to themselves.

Again, this is about the disproportionate criticism.

Agreed with most of what you said, apart from cowboys to get the crowfs they get is amazing considering the population they have to work with.

Parramatta play in a smaller venue and also have not made the finals in 6 seasons, they averaged 17,000 in 2014 which is more than the (then) reigning premiers and minor premiers. So the eels don't cop the fan criticism because there fans, you know, show up.

Last Week

Bench
Agreed with most of what you said, apart from cowboys to get the crowfs they get is amazing considering the population they have to work with.

Parramatta play in a smaller venue and also have not made the finals in 6 seasons, they averaged 17,000 in 2014 which is more than the (then) reigning premiers and minor premiers. So the eels don't cop the fan criticism because there fans, you know, show up.

Generally. We're a loyal bunch. I actually think these years of doing it tough has galvanized our fan base some what. Should we have another year like 09, the band-wagon/juggernaut would be bigger than then.

The Roosters cop the criticism because they have almost everything going for them to be getting great crowds. Success, no internal dramas, fantastic stadium in their heartland, strong financial backing, etc etc. It's a near perfect storm.

The arguments against are the area they cover having a small population (is this actually true?) compared to suburban teams and transport to/parking at the stadium is a bit difficult (but transport is difficult for all grounds in Sydney except Homebush and Campbelltown.)

It's fair game to criticize the Roosters. But as a whole, the crowds for Rugby League around the world should be higher.

t-ba

Post Whore

To be fair, the Roosters were a suburban club in a suburban competition for most of those 107 years. I would say they have had 40 years of sustained national exposure to draw a fanbase on. For instance, my father is from the Myall Lakes region and the "real NRL" was the biggest game in town when he was a kid in the 1960s.

Cockosh

Juniors

Fair points on both. My point was more real numbers vs perceptions and myths.
Our crowds are disappointing but on par with many others.

So LU says the crowd will be 35k+, I guess that means the crowd will end up at around 28-32k and everyone here will be melting down.

Danish

Referee
Looks like there will be well over 30K judging by what areas of the stadium already have plenty of people in them (both ends, the members stand, and the 2nd tier on the warren stand have plenty of people).

This is assuming all the bay's between the 10m lines fill up of course. Lots of people hiding out the back and still coming into the stadium

ouwet

Bench
Looks like there will be well over 30K judging by what areas of the stadium already have plenty of people in them (both ends, the members stand, and the 2nd tier on the warren stand have plenty of people).

This is assuming all the bay's between the 10m lines fill up of course. Lots of people hiding out the back and still coming into the stadium

Let's hope they start pouring in now... Little disappointing so far