What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In other words, do the NSWRL instead of the NRL typical insular thinking. Also majority of Sydney vs Sydney crowds are poor anyway eg Manly/Bulldogs, Sharks/Roosters, etc.

Those in Sydney need to accept out of teams as simple as that and treat it like any other game instead of no-showing it. It's up to the home supporters in that area to show up instead of relying on the away fan excuse. If the heartland of NRL is strong it is it doesn't need to rely on away fans but it's always a excuse.

All home games should be treated equally and if that day occur crowds as a whole would be better.

I see it as a branding issue (though i dont know whose fault it is)....

The Warriors, dispite being perpetually shit, have a huge following everywhere. Basically they have positioned themselves as "the team for Kiwi expats", which makes sense and is great.

The problem is, none of the other "expansion" clubs (except the Broncos), have even tried to do this.
-Knights and Raiders should be fighting over who really represents regional NSW.
-Cowboys should be trying to take over as Queenslands team and DEFINITELY the team for regional Queenslanders.
- Christ knows what Melbourne or the Titans can represent do, but they should be doing something as well!!!

We know how valuable this is for NZ, its crazy that more havent been pushing along that same line......

elbusto

Coach
I see it as a branding issue (though i dont know whose fault it is)....

The Warriors, dispite being perpetually shit, have a huge following everywhere. Basically they have positioned themselves as "the team for Kiwi expats", which makes sense and is great.

The problem is, none of the other "expansion" clubs (except the Broncos), have even tried to do this.
-Knights and Raiders should be fighting over who really represents regional NSW.
-Cowboys should be trying to take over as Queenslands team and DEFINITELY the team for regional Queenslanders.
- Christ knows what Melbourne or the Titans can represent do, but they should be doing something as well!!!

We know how valuable this is for NZ, its crazy that more havent been pushing along that same line......

Storm should be Victoria and Tasmania. It is obvious but obviously escaped them.

Canard

Immortal
Yes the Storm really need to tap into that sleeping giant that is ex-pat Tasmanian League fans residing in Sydney.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes the Storm really need to tap into that sleeping giant that is ex-pat Tasmanian League fans residing in Sydney.

Theyd be UNSTOPPABLE!!!!! haha

Perth and Adelaide teams are going to have a similar problem, also potentially a Wellington team....

Its obvious what they should do in their own territories (in the short term, play to the NSW/QLD/NZ expats, then try to convert some local kids in the long term). The problem is what they should represent to the traditional areas and why people from NSW/QLD should give them a second thought.

SSwans in the VFL do it pretty we by positioning themselves as the Australian team, which is enough even just to rile up the melbourne fans who think they are the centre of the world. This is why im in favour of relocating old Sydney/ Brisbane brands into the non-traditional locations; so they already have the recognition of current fans and can inspire emotion in them.....

Canard

Immortal
Theyd be UNSTOPPABLE!!!!! haha

Perth and Adelaide teams are going to have a similar problem, also potentially a Wellington team....

Its obvious what they should do in their own territories (in the short term, play to the NSW/QLD/NZ expats, then try to convert some local kids in the long term). The problem is what they should represent to the traditional areas and why people from NSW/QLD should give them a second thought.

SSwans in the VFL do it pretty we by positioning themselves as the Australian team, which is enough even just to rile up the melbourne fans who think they are the centre of the world. This is why im in favour of relocating old Sydney/ Brisbane brands into the non-traditional locations; so they already have the recognition of current fans and can inspire emotion in them.....

Even the high drawing AFL struggles with this in Melbourne. Out of town teams just don't draw big crowds unless its finals etc.

And that is with the added advantage of the Swans and Lions having links to now defunct Melbourne teams.

For mine it's more about being creative with these matchups, taking them elsewhere, offering cheaper deals, packaging them up with blockbuster in a ticket deal etc.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Even the high drawing AFL struggles with this in Melbourne. Out of town teams just don't draw big crowds unless its finals etc.

And that is with the added advantage of the Swans and Lions having links to now defunct Melbourne teams.

For mine it's more about being creative with these matchups, taking them elsewhere, offering cheaper deals, packaging them up with blockbuster in a ticket deal etc.

Offer better match day experiences, it is that simple. Put bands on, put reserve grade on, give the fans what they want in terms of food and drinks, and don't charge through the roof for tickets. Tickets in the majority have been way too expensive this year. Penrith have that area perfect though.

Clubs have to make people think "I have to be there", "I don't want to miss this". Not the "well I won't miss much I'll watch it on TV".

Canard

Immortal
All good points

I feel however that having a reserve grade wouldn't do much for crowds. (as much as I would like to see it) It didn't have any impact when it existed and it really only caters for the hardcore fans.

lockyno1

Post Whore
All good points

I feel however that having a reserve grade wouldn't do much for crowds. (as much as I would like to see it) It didn't have any impact when it existed and it really only caters for the hardcore fans.

It is about catering for all fans. You have the reserve grade for the hardcore fans, you have the bands for the others, you just make it attractive. You could even have a makeup booth for female fans. These are all fairly cheap and the main thing is that you don't get that sitting on your couch. Tickets have to be reasonable, $50 family, and $25 max for an adult. Make people buy things inside. Too often people aren't getting in the gate as it is just absolute extortion.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
All good points

Yeh, in terms of gameday as a fan, there is very little difference between u20 and the old reserves. (and youd have to be pretty hardcore to want to watch more than 1 before the main game)....

Canard

Immortal
It is about catering for all fans. You have the reserve grade for the hardcore fans, you have the bands for the others, you just make it attractive. You could even have a makeup booth for female fans. These are all fairly cheap and the main thing is that you don't get that sitting on your couch. Tickets have to be reasonable, $50 family, and $25 max for an adult. Make people buy things inside. Too often people aren't getting in the gate as it is just absolute extortion.

How very 1950s of you.

chahrour123

Juniors
Does anyone know the PAX for any of the games this week? Surely we will have a couple of near sell-outs if the weather is good....

First steps should be to look at ticketing and food/drink prices. As Locky said, it's extortion.

I wonder sometimes if we over analyse the game day experience. Bands for example could be polarising. A mate of mine is in the US where you imagine everything reeks of 'big-time'. Anyway, he went to a basketball game where the half time entertainment was a baby crawling race. The near 20k crowd thought it was brilliant.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Broncos are dead on even in comparison to the Roosters game 3 days out. Looking like 34,000 - 37,000.

Wow

Pathetic just isnt a strong enough word :sarcasm:

On a Sat nite
On the centenary of our most sacred national days
These lazy QLD tossers cant get off their passionless arses to commemorate ANZAC
For shame

For shame

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Wow

Pathetic just isnt a strong enough word :sarcasm:

On a Sat nite
On the centenary of our most sacred national days
These lazy QLD tossers cant get off their passionless arses to commemorate ANZAC

For shame

For shame

Many more people will be out celebrating the ANZACS rather than gallivant to a football game.

Perspective, David.

100 years of ANZAC will be WHY crowds will be down this year.

Apart from the Roosters v St George match - which has great ticket sales.

As for your spelling, I will give you points for trying.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Many more people will be out celebrating the ANZACS rather than gallivant to a football game.

Perspective, David.

100 years of ANZAC will be WHY crowds will be down this year.

Apart from the Roosters v St George match - which has great ticket sales.

As for your spelling, I will give you points for trying.

:lol:

But but but

Theres 2million people in brisbane dickhead
Cant even find 40k to go to the football on this special day

Lazy
Disrepectful to our diggers
Plain Embarrasing

The self annoited home of rugby league

pigs arse it is :lol:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Time to take ANZAC day away from Brisbane