What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 NRL Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

GAZF

First Grade
I swear my assclown club lets some latté sipping pony tailed wally woofter have a say in designing our kits. At least now I only need to buy the anzac and heritage for next year. They could at least f**king try to make it look like an NQ jersey.

Its not even that its bad, just incredibly lazy.

elyod138

Bench
I swear my assclown club lets some latté sipping pony tailed wally woofter have a say in designing our kits. At least now I only need to buy the anzac and heritage for next year. They could at least f**king try to make it look like an NQ jersey.

I think if actual designers had complete control over designing our kits they would look a lot better.

This 9's jersey goes against basic design principles, most of our jerseys (and most in the NRL) seem like they have been hampered by meddling from people other than a designer.

As a graphic designer myself (with a ponytail!), clients usually have the worst ideas and they have no idea about keeping a consistent aesthetic for their brand (traditional colors etc) but they are the ones paying the bills so they get what they want.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
Of course it's no big deal, I mean what that we discuss on LU is?

You need to read every comment as in my opinion. Not to try to stop people talking about something because you don't agree.

PS I think those NBA T-shirts look shite.

Lol. Just because my post was after yours, doesn't my I was directing my comment solely at you. Hence I didn't quote you, but was referring to the general complaining about the sleeveless jersey. Also note that I didn't ask anyone to stop talking about it, I was merely expressing a viewpoint that there are bigger issues in jerseyland than sleeveless 9's jerseys.

In order of priority, the first things I would change are:
- get rid of the chevrons on kangaroos shorts, get the chevrons up to the shoulders on the jersey and fix the socks
- fix the shade of blue on NSW jersey, get more white trim
- tackle side panels
- enforce a 5 year rule for home NRL jerseys, but allow yearly change of alternate and 9's to force clubs to pick and stick with a classy home design but knock themselves out on alternates to get money in.

Worrying about sleeves on 9's jerseys is a long way down the list

GAZF

First Grade
I think if actual designers had complete control over designing our kits they would look a lot better.

This 9's jersey goes against basic design principles, most of our jerseys (and most in the NRL) seem like they have been hampered by meddling from people other than a designer.

As a graphic designer myself (with a ponytail!), clients usually have the worst ideas and they have no idea about keeping a consistent aesthetic for their brand (traditional colors etc) but they are the ones paying the bills so they get what they want.

I dunno, ISC has used similar designs for the Sea-Eagles and Raiders away jerseys this year. Some manufacturers love to flog their own gimmicks.

Design by committee sucks though.

elyod138

Bench
I dunno, ISC has used similar designs for the Sea-Eagles and Raiders away jerseys this year. Some manufacturers love to flog their own gimmicks.

Design by committee sucks though.

Yeah, I feel a lot of clubs just pass off the design work to the jersey manufacturers without a care and with little direction given which results in laziness and disparity between the traditions of the club and the jersey.

If they hired a designer and briefed them on the history, the traditional colors and some of the past jerseys and gave them some good direction any good designer would be able to come up with something better than most of the official jerseys IMO.

Unfortunately clients often request changes after the initial design which completely ruins what you were going for. I feel like this happens to a lot of jersey designs.

This Cowboys 9's jersey is bizarre with the triangle pattern overlay in the background and the weird faded edges on the sponsorship box. Like you said, very lazy.

Canard

Immortal
what's the thought ebhind this? I dont follow basketball, just have always seen it as synonymous with singlets

Same as the reasons for changing our jersey all the time.

Purely marketing, it's a more palatable piece of merchandise to sell something with sleeves on it. Especially to the increasingly fatter American public.

stevenwbird

Juniors
Same shitty VB logo plastered over the front of a proud Jersey. Would it be too much to ask for a bit of sponsor integration instead of selling out and cheapening a potentially great design.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
1908 I assume.

That would be a strange thing to reference since Origin only started in 1980...
(Thinking about it, it could also be Gallen's number. everyone was wanking over him last year)

Seriously though, 35 would have made more sense (2015 being 35 years of origin...)

Canard

Immortal
That would be a strange thing to reference since Origin only started in 1980...
(Thinking about it, it could also be Gallen's number. everyone was wanking over him last year)

Seriously though, 35 would have made more sense (2015 being 35 years of origin...)

Origin did, but the NSWRL didn't, same as the QRL.

I assume both these teams now assume the mantle as the most senior team to represent their respective Leagues.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Rabbits Nines jersey coming out tomorrow i think. Pretty sure its a predominately white jersey with small red and green hoops after each white hoop.

cooko

Juniors
Roosters is just out on their mailing list but can't find it online sorry.

Similar to last years but straight hoops and a little more white.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Love the American Football design.

Itd be great to see those for some other teams aswell. Itd probably be an improvement to their home jerseys

Whoever it was at the NRL that promoted all of the new merch ranges needs a big thank you. The basketball singlets, off-field gear and now even gridiron jerseys are all class.

Latest posts