What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 ODI WORLD CUP discussion thread

Fit-again Shane Watson volunteers for death-bowling role

Shane Watson will play his first match in three weeks on Sunday and wants to be considered for the crucial death-bowling vacancy left for at least the start of the World Cup by James Faulkner's injury.

The all-rounder said he had recovered from the hamstring tightness that caused him to miss the last two matches of the tri-series, and would bat and bowl in Australia's day-night practice match against India at Adelaide Oval.

"I won't be bowling 10 overs . . . but I'll be bowling a few overs and just getting back into it again. I can't wait to get out there," he said on Saturday.

Watson, 33, also backed himself to be able to bowl late in the innings and in batting powerplays in place of Faulkner, who is recuperating from a side strain.

"I've done it . . . plenty of other times in one-day cricket. I just need to make sure I'm at my best to be able to execute what I need to do through those periods, whether it's powerplays or the back end as well," he said. "I've done it a hell of a lot throughout my career so I'm ready to do it [again]."

Faulkner walked laps of Adelaide Oval as the team completed their first training session on Saturday. He was joined by captain Michael Clarke, who jogged at least one lap of the arena.

"It's very important for a leader to be able to make sure that he feels comfortable leading the group, and everyone's really excited to have him around again," Watson said of Clarke.

Acting Australia captain George Bailey again downplayed the impact of Clarke's fitness situation on him, on the basis he would not only hand over the captaincy to Clarke but could even be squeezed out of the team to make room for him.

The Tasmanian lauded the morale of the team leading into their first practice match, ahead of their campaign formally beginning on Saturday.

"We're more excited, like schooboy-excited . . . chatting to Xavier (Doherty), I sent him a text a couple of nights ago saying 'I'm packed already', as if it was your first trip away. I'm just really looking forward to it and embracing what the next six or seven weeks ahead hold on and off the field," Bailey said.

While Watson put his hand up to cover for Faulkner with the ball Glenn Maxwell said he aspired to do so with the bat late in innings.

The Victorian said scoring 95 in the final of the tri-series, having arrived at 3-46, was an important milestone.

"It shows I am starting to understand that role and adjust to different situations," Maxwell said. "It was nice to get in that situation and not get out cheaply, which I've done a few times recently.

"To make the most of that opportunity shows that I am making bigger steps towards being that guy in the middle order we can actually rely on."

Maxwell backed his ability to stand in for Faulkner.

"If he's out, I'll probably stay a little bit lower in the order and hopefully try and fill his role," Maxwell said. "Hopefully Perth is just a glimpse of what the possibilities are for the next six weeks - and hopefully beyond."

Their opponents, India, are yet to beat Australia this summer. They have, however, won the past two ICC one-day tournaments: the 2011 World Cup and the 2013 Champions Trophy.

Captain MS Dhoni said he hoped their extended period in Australia before the tournament would prove advantageous, rather than leaving the players jaded.

"When we were in the Champions Trophy we were in a similar situation . . . and the guys stepped up. That's what I feel is important in ICC tournaments," he said.

"In the past there's been quite a few teams that do really well in the ICC tournaments. They may not be the best of teams when it comes to the bilateral series but they've always stepped up when it comes to the ICC tournaments."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/fitagain-shane-watson-volunteers-for-deathbowling-role-20150207-138oii.html

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Does this guy ever stop talking about himself ?

22 runs today in the trial against India, hopefully MMarsh goes better and pushes this prima donna out of the 11

undertaker

Coach
The commentators for this tournament have been named:

http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-...cket-world-cup-crickets-greatest-extravaganza

The live broadcast will feature more than 30 commentators, past ICC Cricket World Cup winners and legends of the game from the leading participating countries. These include Wasim Akram, Russell Arnold, Michael Atherton, Ian Bishop, Allan Border, Ian Botham, Simon Doull, Rahul Dravid, Damien Fleming, Sourav Ganguly, Sunil Gavaskar, Matthew Hayden, Michael Hussey, Dean Jones, Nasser Hussain, Brendon Julian, Nick Knight, Brett Lee, David Lloyd, Sanjay Manjrekar, Damien Martyn, Mpumelelo Mbangwa, Tom Moody, Shaun Pollock, Rameez Raja, Mark Richardson, Michael Slater, Ian Smith, Scott Styris, Mark Taylor, Shane Warne, Mark Waugh alongside Harsha Bhogle, Mark Nicholas and Alan Wilkins.

I don't know what to make of the Aussie ones. Of the overall crop named, it looks like ESPN/Star Sports (who have the exclusive tv rights, and selection is largely influenced by the BCCI) have gone for a younger crop of commentators compared to the previous two World Cup's (since the World Feed has been used by the ICC in 2007).

A.B - will provide some good analysis.
Fleming - hope he doesn't crap on about AFL (especially if he's designated to call matches at the MCG)
Haydos - interesting inclusion
Hussey - good to see he has been rewarded. I've always had a lot of time for Huss. Very underrated commentator at Ch9 and hopefully will be able to display his talent a lot more, especially if he is partnered alongside other commentators who aren't his colleagues at CH9
Dean Jones - same as Fleming
Julian - sucks
Martyn - surprised he's been picked. Has pretty much been out of the spotlight since he retired during the 2006/07 Ashes
Moody - like A.B., a good analyst
Waugh - so/so
Tubby - good analyst
Lee - same as above

and this is where things get worse

Slats - get him out of there! Should've stayed working for The Footy Show so we wouldn't have to hear his erratic nonsense.
Warne - great cricketer, one of the worst commentators going around in world cricket. Agenda driven bias + certified bogan to the max. Will be a nightmare if he's commentating alongside his fellow Victorians, Flemmo or Jones. To think that all English-speaking countries will be receiving the same tv broadcast for this event, it will be an embarrassment to Australia to hear them wank on about AFL. Good to see that the Indians/BCCI at ESPN/Star Sports didn't see any potential in James Brayshaw. Could you imagine him commentating in a World Cup?

Anyways, whats your thoughts on that list?

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
If I could wave a magic wand id bring in

Gilly for Warne

McGrath for Flemming

Ponting for Slater

and how good would the games involving Scotland, Ireland, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe be if you had the likes Kerry O keefe livening things up a bit?

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
Ireland belted by the Scots in a warm up game. So they probably won't beat the Windies making the first 42 matches redundant.

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Speaking of the 92 World Cup highlights on Sky, loving that English commentator with the old school "proper" vocal delivery. Some classic lines such as calling for everyone to charge their glasses for a particularly lovely stroke.

Looking forward to see how this all plays out. I'm going to the NZ/Aus (Eden Park) & NZ/Eng (Wellington) games, as well as the Wellington Quarter Final, so they should all be fun games (especially if NZ wins!)

Hopefully the forecast for Christchurch for game 1 on Saturday improves, last I checked it was for rain (with sun on the days either side!)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The commentators for this tournament have been named:

http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-...cket-world-cup-crickets-greatest-extravaganza

I don't know what to make of the Aussie ones. Of the overall crop named, it looks like ESPN/Star Sports (who have the exclusive tv rights, and selection is largely influenced by the BCCI) have gone for a younger crop of commentators compared to the previous two World Cup's (since the World Feed has been used by the ICC in 2007).

A.B - will provide some good analysis.
Fleming - hope he doesn't crap on about AFL (especially if he's designated to call matches at the MCG)
Haydos - interesting inclusion
Hussey - good to see he has been rewarded. I've always had a lot of time for Huss. Very underrated commentator at Ch9 and hopefully will be able to display his talent a lot more, especially if he is partnered alongside other commentators who aren't his colleagues at CH9
Dean Jones - same as Fleming
Julian - sucks
Martyn - surprised he's been picked. Has pretty much been out of the spotlight since he retired during the 2006/07 Ashes
Moody - like A.B., a good analyst
Waugh - so/so
Tubby - good analyst
Lee - same as above

and this is where things get worse

Slats - get him out of there! Should've stayed working for The Footy Show so we wouldn't have to hear his erratic nonsense.
Warne - great cricketer, one of the worst commentators going around in world cricket. Agenda driven bias + certified bogan to the max. Will be a nightmare if he's commentating alongside his fellow Victorians, Flemmo or Jones. To think that all English-speaking countries will be receiving the same tv broadcast for this event, it will be an embarrassment to Australia to hear them wank on about AFL. Good to see that the Indians/BCCI at ESPN/Star Sports didn't see any potential in James Brayshaw. Could you imagine him commentating in a World Cup?

Anyways, whats your thoughts on that list?

Interesting lineup of commentators. Least we don't have Brayshaw and Chappell. Although Dean Jones can be a pain. He doesn't usually commentate in Oz so this could be a first for a while.

As for Martyn, he's been doing a bit commentary in the past 2-3 years but not a lot of people realise, he was with ABC Grandstand as mentioned, has been doing a bit for the IPL and Im pretty sure he was with the other network in England (not Sky Sports) for the Ashes in mid 2013, along with Boycott, Vaughan, Nicholas and Simon Hughes (I think ?).

Hayden and Moody did gigs for the Indian Network I think the series in 2011/12.

Another interesting one is that only one West Indian is out here, Ian Bishop. Previously Michael Holding and Tony Cozier would cover the World Cup, although Cozier is getting on a bit.

undertaker

Coach
Interesting lineup of commentators. Least we don't have Brayshaw and Chappell. Although Dean Jones can be a pain. He doesn't usually commentate in Oz so this could be a first for a while.

As for Martyn, he's been doing a bit commentary in the past 2-3 years but not a lot of people realise, he was with ABC Grandstand as mentioned, has been doing a bit for the IPL and Im pretty sure he was with the other network in England (not Sky Sports) for the Ashes in mid 2013, along with Boycott, Vaughan, Nicholas and Simon Hughes (I think ?).

Another interesting one is that only one West Indian is out here, Ian Bishop. Previously Michael Holding and Tony Cozier would cover the World Cup, although Cozier is getting on a bit.

Agree with you regarding your point on Brayshaw and Chappell (Brayshaw moreso. Would be absolutely embarrassing for the millions of fans to hear his dribble). Looks like Dean Jones brown-nosing the BCCI has finally paid off. He has been writing articles like the ones below for quite some time since his commentary career nosedived after his comments about Hashim Amla in 2006, not to mention he has regularly talked about how he's travelled to India nearly 100 times and has had more holidays there than anywhere else:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/india-the-new-world-provider-for-cricket-20130222-2ex1x.html
http://www.firstpost.com/sports/dear-bcci-you-are-the-best-love-dean-jones-640433.html

I wasn't aware that Martyn was on ABC Grandstand. However, I know that compared to his former teammates, he has taken a relatively low profile since he abruptly retired and Punter also made note of this in his autobiography. Big Tom does occasional commentary. Haydos was a commentator for Five's one hour highlights during the 2009 Ashes. That's who you are thinking of, Parra_Fan. Sky Sports have the exclusive tv rights for cricket in the UK, but Five (one of the FTA networks over there) broadcast a one hour highlights package in the evening. It's hosted by Mark Nicholas IIRC

Yeah, as I said, some interesting selections. Holding has commentated nearly all around the world (not just for Sky Sports and matches involving the West Indies, but even in the Australian tour of South Africa last year), so was very surprised he isn't listed. Danny Morrison from NZ is another one I was surprised didn't get a gig. However, Ian Healy will be kicking himself the most, considering that his fellow mates Slats, Tubby, Lee, Hussey and Warne all got gigs but he missed out.

Given the plethora of Aussies on that list of 30, will be interesting to see which ones will be selected to call the matches involving Australia. I have a strange feeling it will be the Ch9 commentators, since Ch9 will be only showing the matches involving Australia and it will be a kick in the guts to them if they aired matches where the Fox commentators (e.g. Border, Julian, Fleming, Waugh) featured instead.

OT, very disappointing Ch9 are only showing the group matches involving Australia, Q/F involving Australia, both semis and final (compared to '92 where nearly all matches in Australia were televised, as well as late-night highlights of the matches in New Zealand). First home World Cup in 23 years, will rate very well on tv and some big matches they will be missing out on (e.g. India vs Pakistan, India vs South Africa). It's just not cricket.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Agree 100% on your last paragraph undertaker (actually agree with most other things you say as well)

I guess money to be made from pay tv is probably a big reason from the circa 1992 of live free to air coverages.

They really should have looked at (the very least) a nightly 2 hour show to catch the last 20-25 overs of a game played that day. during the coverage they could show highlights of what happened during the day. 8.30pm - 10.30pm? on GEM, would also have time to chat about the game ahead the following day.

I should have access to Foxtel so ill be ok, but agree a WORLD CUP in our backyard deserves better free to air coverage than just Australian games

TheParraboy

Staff member

Well Tony is 10 years younger than Richie :p

Though at 74, he has very much entered his twighlight years

Brilliant voice for cricket, one of the very best ever IMO, along with Alan McGILVRAY

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I wasn't aware that Martyn was on ABC Grandstand. However, I know that compared to his former teammates, he has taken a relatively low profile since he abruptly retired and Punter also made note of this in his autobiography. Big Tom does occasional commentary. Haydos was a commentator for Five's one hour highlights during the 2009 Ashes. That's who you are thinking of, Parra_Fan. Sky Sports have the exclusive tv rights for cricket in the UK, but Five (one of the FTA networks over there) broadcast a one hour highlights package in the evening. It's hosted by Mark Nicholas IIRC

Yeah, as I said, some interesting selections. Holding has commentated nearly all around the world (not just for Sky Sports and matches involving the West Indies, but even in the Australian tour of South Africa last year), so was very surprised he isn't listed. Danny Morrison from NZ is another one I was surprised didn't get a gig. However, Ian Healy will be kicking himself the most, considering that his fellow mates Slats, Tubby, Lee, Hussey and Warne all got gigs but he missed out.

Given the plethora of Aussies on that list of 30, will be interesting to see which ones will be selected to call the matches involving Australia. I have a strange feeling it will be the Ch9 commentators, since Ch9 will be only showing the matches involving Australia and it will be a kick in the guts to them if they aired matches where the Fox commentators (e.g. Border, Julian, Fleming, Waugh) featured instead.

OT, very disappointing Ch9 are only showing the group matches involving Australia, Q/F involving Australia, both semis and final (compared to '92 where nearly all matches in Australia were televised, as well as late-night highlights of the matches in New Zealand). First home World Cup in 23 years, will rate very well on tv and some big matches they will be missing out on (e.g. India vs Pakistan, India vs South Africa). It's just not cricket.

Ahh yes, Channel 5. Thanks for confirming that. I remember when I was over in England during the 09 Ashes, and couldnt get Sky on one of the Tvs but managed to get highlights of the Ashes on Channel 5. The majority of that team was from the former Channel 4 network, post 2000 you wouldve heard the likes of, Benaud, Nicholas, Bishop, Boycott, Atherton, Ian Smith, Dermot Reeve.

Yes, Healy you mentioned, a little bit surprised he wasnt considered but no doubt will get a gig in the studio pre game and post game for Channel 9. But if that means Tim Tam Gilbert is the host, I'll switch to Fox Sports.

Now with the Australian games it was confirmed by Ch 9 and Fox they will both show it live so I reckon they'll probably combine all the commentators, say Taylor, Nicholas, Slater and Border, Fleming and Waugh.

Since 1996, Ch 9 has shown all Australian games and semi finals live but dont use their commentary, except the 99 World Cup final. So given the Fox Sports will show all games, it would seem unfair that their commentators would be shafted for the Australian games.

Cant say Im surprised they wont show other games.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well Tony is 10 years younger than Richie :p

Though at 74, he has very much entered his twighlight years

Brilliant voice for cricket, one of the very best ever IMO, along with Alan McGILVRAY

Cozier is definately one of the best all time. He used to be a regular on Ch 9 during the 80s and early 90s, even if the Windies werent playing.

Latest posts