What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 ODI WORLD CUP discussion thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
About time bowlers were given a fair go, I'll believe it when it happens

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/mike-hussey-links-with-proteas-for-cwc/ar-AA8Zsi9?ocid=mailsignout

Mike Hussey links with Proteas for CWC

5-02-2015

Recently-retired Mike Hussey, one of Australia's best one-day batsmen, will pass on his vast knowledge and experience during the upcoming cricket World Cup - to South Africa.

Although described as a low-key consultancy role, the Proteas will hope Hussey can advise their players on how to handle Australian conditions as they seek to win the tournament for the first time.

Cricket Australia's website confirmed the appointment on Thursday morning after South Africa coach Russell Domingo, at the team's official send-off in Johannesburg on Wednesday, said Hussey had been approached to work with his squad.

"We've had some discussions with Mike Hussey about him joining us on a consultancy process," Domingo said.

"He's a middle order batter of immense experience and knows conditions very well in Australia.

"He'll play a very low-key role in the background."

In 185 one-day matches for Australia that included winning the 2007 World Cup, Hussey scored 5442 at an average of 48.15.

He retired from international cricket more than two years ago, and last month played his last Australian domestic match - a Twenty20 Big Bash game for the Sydney Thunder.

undertaker

Coach
Really happy to read this (especially the part in bold):

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...izes-on-eve-of-world-cup-20150204-136a28.html

Love the bit that is underlined.

I've been crapping on about the ropes for sometime, but this summer was an absolute disgrace to see how far the rope has been brought in from the boundary, especially at matches such as the SCG test where even the sidescreens were brought in (just so Commonwealth Bank can have more advertising boards and that photographers get a better view for taking pictures), which means the rope is brought in even further from the fence. Well, with boundary ropes being pulled back to 90m from the pitch, too bad if the stupid photographers don't have more room behind the rope to stretch out their feet, go and take your photos somewhere else. The T20 matches always have the ropes brought in quite a lot from the fence so that more 4s and 6s are hit. When it became mandatory for ropes to be introduced around the whole fence of Australian venues during the 2001/02 season, the ropes were relatively close to the fence: in most cases, no more than 2-3 metres max. Over the last few years though, I've noticed the ropes being gradually brought in (especially when more T20 matches started being played in Australia). Have a look at some of the matches on YouTube from games that summer and you'll see what I mean, especially this one (you'll see how close the rope is to the fence with these sixes that Brett Lee hit over long off):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Q0BcPXwCg

All in all, about time ppl at the top of the ICC are starting to wake up to the fact that batsmen have had it good for way too long. Shortened boundaries, more powerful bats and something else very important that wasn't mentioned...flat pitches. The tournament organisers need to spice up the pitches in this tournament, otherwise I fear we will be seeing a lot of 300+ 1st innings scores, especially at grounds like Adelaide Oval with drop-in pitches and extremely short horizontal boundaries.

Looks like someone ain't a happy camper with this

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...-big-boy-needs-a-big-bat-20150205-1372kh.html

One of the biggest cricket hitters of the modern era, Chris Gayle, opposes the International Cricket Council's proposed crackdown on bat sizes.

"A big boy needs a big bat," the West Indian opener said on Thursday. "People keep saying it has become a batsman's game, but bowlers are becoming more skilful too."

One of those bowlers, recently retired Australian quick, Brett Lee, also threw his support behind batsmen like Gayle and Australian opener David Warner who use 45 millimetre willows. "I think that if players like Gayle and Warner are strong enough to lift a bat that heavy, at that speed, then good for them, it makes the game a hell of a lot more exciting."

But others, like former Australian one-day batsman, Michael Bevan, agreed with the sentiments of ICC chief executive David Richardson who said on Wednesday that the balance between batsman and bowler "may have shifted a bit too much".

"Bats have improved at a far greater rate than balls, there has to be an even balance if it becomes too lopsided and becomes a six-fest then no one wants to watch that either," said Bevan.

Former Australian spinner, Jason Krejza, said that one answer could be to use the Duke balls that are favoured in England over the Kookaburra balls used in Australia. "They don't ping right off the bat like the Kookaburra," he said.

But one of Australia's all-time leading one-day run scorers, Dean Jones, said while the game was more entertaining than it had ever been, the blame for excessive boundaries lay squarely at the feet of bowlers. "The bowlers' defensive game has fallen away, they get smashed because they can't bowl yorkers properly anymore," Jones said.

Twenty20 cricket has also brought in a whole new form of training, said Jones. "Rage-hitting" involves a batsman dropping their defensive game completely and thrashing at balls inside the net repetitively and at high speeds. I remember when my coach would tear my ear off for hitting a single ball over the net."

The players unanimously agreed that one change from the ICC was essential, getting rid of 60-metre boundary ropes. "They have got to stop bringing in the boundary rope," said Lee, who spoke to Fairfax Media at one of Sydney's smallest grounds, North Sydney Oval, where he was playing in a charity event. "People want a tight, fast contest, but that's a hard ask with only 60 metres."

Bevan agreed. "Too many poor shots get rewarded with a six at that length," he said.

The impact of the closer boundary ropes has not gone unnoticed by the ICC.

"Where some batsmen are mishitting balls and it is just carrying over the rope and going for a six instead of being caught at the boundary," said chief executive David Richardson. "That is what some cricket people believe has become unfair."

Richardson told ESPNCricinfo that the boundary would be pushed back to at least 90 metres "where possible" at the World Cup.l

JJ

Immortal
The bats aren't that heavy anyway contrary to what Lee said. The likes of Lloyd, Richards and others used bats probably heavier that looked like matchsticks by comparison. They dry them out so much more I think.

Agree on the Duke balls the Kookaburra ones are shit for so many reasons.

The wickets are the other issue not boundaries.

undertaker

Coach
The bats aren't that heavy anyway contrary to what Lee said. The likes of Lloyd, Richards and others used bats probably heavier that looked like matchsticks by comparison. They dry them out so much more I think.

I agree that the weight of bats hasn't changed much since then, but the blade width has, which has subsequently increased the 'sweet spot' (a.k.a. mete of the bat, as Tony Greig used to call it) area on the bat. Alongside the combination of shortened boundaries, predominantly flat pitches all around the world and only 4 men allowed outside the circle in the final overs (compared to 5 which was previously allowed), the bat width has definitely made a difference and to say otherwise is naive. Mistimed shots that just clear the fieldsmen in the circle would've easily gone to mid-off/mid-on etc. 15 years ago. And yes, it's quite amazing to think that back in 2007, the width of Andrew Symonds bat was 30mm, and now pretty much all the big hitters in today's game - Warner, Gayle etc. - have 45mm width bats, a 50% increase. The width has changed tremendously from when I first started watching and playing cricket back in the mid-90s. This video by Ian Healy tells the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InMUHPxav-Q

Imagine how far power hitters in the 80s and 90s such as Viv Richards and Dean Jones would go with todays' bats? Jones was able to clear the fence down the ground at Adelaide Oval (that, along with the horizontal boundaries at the WACA before the reconfiguration and introduction of mandatory ropes, were the two longest boundaries in Australia, if not longest boundaries in the world) and the greyhound track at the old Gabba with consummate ease.

On the topic of the cricket balls, wasn't there talk not long ago that CA were going to replace the Kookaburra balls with the Duke balls? I believe I remember reading about this sometime back. The 1999 World Cup was the first tournament Duke was used in. In terms of the quality of matches, that still remains the best World Cup I've ever seen. So many hard-fought, classic matches are spoken out years later.

And yes, I've commented about the wickets in another thread. If another lot of flat tracks like the Boxing Day and New Year's test matches get dished up for this tournament, I can see a plethora of 300+ scores from the team batting first. The MCG and Adelaide Oval use drop-in pitches so nothing much can be done there, but the other grounds that don't use them need to produce quality pitches for this tournament to give the bowlers something to work with.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
All in all, I'm extremely surprised it's taken the ICC this long to clamp down on these issues. Funny how they kicked up a big stink and banned the Kookaburra graphite bats that the likes of Ricky Ponting used when he was scoring lots of runs, but they've remained silent on the increasing widths on bats...until now.

TheParraboy

Staff member
remember though for the tests, we fielded absolutely dreadfully in the drawn ones, and were still in with a chance to win it in the last session of both tests

We had 3 days tests last summer, I wonder if that had anything to do with the pitch preparation this summer

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

oh, please do elaborate

are you a bowler ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
All in all, I'm extremely surprised it's taken the ICC this long to clamp down on these issues. Funny how they kicked up a big stink and banned the Kookaburra graphite bats that the likes of Ricky Ponting used when he was scoring lots of runs, but they've remained silent on the increasing widths on bats...until now.

We should bring back Dennis Lillee's aluminum bat

JJ

Immortal
Undertaker I agree completely a Richards would probably average 75 these days and be terrifying for bowlers

An implication was( I think) that Gayle and Warner were such powerful men to handle bats like that which patently isn't the case especially with Warner. But they're not the only ones with thick bats...

oh, please do elaborate

are you a bowler ?

Yeah, I am but that'd not the point really, have you not been watching test cricket? The balls are frequently out if shape by 10 overs and repeated ball changes required, umpires trotting out with a briefcase got ridiculous... If kookaburra can't produce a ball fit for purpose then NZC and CA should revisit contracts imo

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Kookaburra aren't much chop, but there are a lot worse around on the market than them. Nothing can bit the old two piece red King as a young bloke i thought i was Wasim Akram lol. A bit of sun screen helped as well.......

shiznit

Coach
I think rain will have a massive impact on this tournament...

I just can't see 2months straight of perfect weather.

undertaker

Coach
Yeah, I am but that'd not the point really, have you not been watching test cricket? The balls are frequently out if shape by 10 overs and repeated ball changes required, umpires trotting out with a briefcase got ridiculous... If kookaburra can't produce a ball fit for purpose then NZC and CA should revisit contracts imo

That, or Indians are sooks. It was so pathetic to see them trying to get the ball changed after 6 overs or so.

JJ

Immortal
But they never did that in England...

And the same thing was happening for both NZ and Sri Lanka, we were bowling well but still changing balls frequently

Sky in NZ showing some 92 WC highlights, big difference in the wickets both in Aust and NZ -while ours were diabolically slow both offered sideways movement which you seldom see today... The othe big difference was how awful the umpires were