What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Parramatta Leagues Club Election thread

Suitman

Post Whore
I'll be there at the WSW forum with my shirt off, facing the back wall.

Can't you guys come up with anything new?

The Wanderers have done this off their own backs. Not been begged to have one by fans, which we seem to have to do. And never get it anyway.

Suity

I think I heard or read somewhere that he's taking legal action against the club regarding his membership but I could be wrong...

I think pricey is taking legal action against the ARL. After hearing his MMM rant he definitely. Is a prime example for the concussion rule. I packed into plenty of scrums but at least I can string 2 sentences together .

It's a real shame about Pricey because he was one of my idols. Now he's a joke who get rolled out whenever the media needs a negative comment on something.

It's just the vibe of it all. A man's Leagues club isn't any man's home, it's Ray Price's castle.

Parramatta Eels face prospect of having to restage board elections

June 27, 2015 - 10:00PM

Chief Rugby League Reporter
View more articles from Adrian Proszenko

SIN BIN

Parramatta faces the drama of restaging its notorious Parramatta Leagues Club elections if Supreme Court action by former player Ben Smith is successful.

Smith was ruled ineligible to stand as a candidate because he was considered a paid employee of the organisation due to ambassadorial work undertaken at the club.

The elections were run without him and a ticket led by chairman Steve Sharp retained power in a strong endorsement of the incumbent board. Since then, the Eels have been pinged for repeated salary cap breaches, which have led to a $525,000 fine and the prospect of starting next year's competition four points in arrears, as well as revelations that absurd clauses inserted into the contract of prospective signing Kieran Foran threaten to scupper the deal.

Should Smith be successful ? the matter is set down for a Supreme Court directions hearing on July 6 ? the elections and associated madness will be on all over again.

It's fair to assume that, given the recent dramas, the current board would be very nervous indeed if there were a revote. The biennial election cycle brings out the worst in the blue and golds, pitting factions and former clubmen against each other in a sea of negativity.

An uneasy truce between candidates representing former powerbrokers Denis Fitzgerald and Roy Spagnolo meant most members didn't know who the majority of candidates were standing for the last time around.

Gronk

Staff member
Nice of Ben to use his personal savings to pay barristers etc. Won't be cheap. Maybe $70k.

Noise

Coach
The current board will be shitting themselves if Smith wins, with the foran situation and salary cap problems all surfacing in the last month or so.

Suitman

Post Whore
The current board will be shitting themselves if Smith wins, with the foran situation and salary cap problems all surfacing in the last month or so.

Why? There isn't anyone else to vote for that is any better tbh.

Suity

Noise

Coach
Why? There isn't anyone else to vote for that is any better tbh.

Suity

I agree they are all shit but you don't think all the crap in the papers would have changed some voter's minds? I reckon they would be very nervous

Gronk

Staff member
Everyone will know that alternate tickets to Sharp will be Spags or Fitzy endorsed.

Nice of Ben to use his personal savings to pay barristers etc. Won't be cheap. Maybe $70k.

As I said at the time, I think he's got a fair shot. After all, directors are allowed to provide goods or services to the PLC, provided they are at arms-length prices and are fully disclosed. It's not obvious why a present contractor would be denied being able to run. Comes down to whether it is an 'employment relationship' I guess.

strider

Post Whore
yeah but the current mob would have to be sitting right down the bottom of the shit pile with all the other poo now

IFR33K

Coach
Nice going. Any chance of snagging Foran will be just about done. Only at parramatta......

Delboy

First Grade
Who would be behind Smith going to the Supreme Court, oh dear, he wants control more than he loves the club, such a massive peckerhead

Latest posts