What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Alternate Strip

TruSaint

Referee
Hey Doc... can open the pic, but there is a thread on this some while back with very positive feedback from most forum members... I will try and locate the thread

The Nick

Bench
I like it.

Looking forward to the annual whining re: we should only ever play in the Red V, oust Doust etc.

TruSaint

Referee
I like it.

Looking forward to the annual whining re: we should only ever play in the Red V, oust Doust etc.

Well everyone I know has either bought it or is about to.. I know some dont like it, and I do ( as u do love the REd V ), but this is very well crafted...

My son cant wait for me to get it.

The Nick

Bench
Well everyone I know has either bought it or is about to.. I know some dont like it, and I do ( as u do love the REd V ), but this is very well crafted...

My son cant wait for me to get it.

Good to hear, mate. Thinking about getting one myself.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not surprisingly, it immediately becomes divisive.

What's wrong with people preferring the Red V?

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Haha. You're the most negative poster in these forums and you've suddenly found a sense of humour? I call bs.

You like the alternate jersey so much that you use it to attack those who prefer the Red V. That is, even before they have had a chance to make a comment. If nothing else, there's the irony in your attempt to divide.

Or are you just trolling?

TruSaint

Referee
Not surprisingly, it immediately becomes divisive.

What's wrong with people preferring the Red V?

Nothing..
I love the Red V and will always be my preference.
Just now that we live in the alternative strip world, I dont mind this new creation, ( for want of a better word ). I do like it.
Thats all. The Red V will always resemble my team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Looking forward to the annual whining re: we should only ever play in the Red V
What's wrong with someone saying that? Is only playing in the Red V the new 'alternative' opinion?

Personally, I understand the need for an alternate jersey.

Edit: TruSaint, I agree that we live in the alternative world.

Not all that long ago, our alternate/away jersey was similar to the blood and bandages of the 1940s, but more closely resembling the first grade jersey on the early 1920s.
_39114268_timmins200.jpg

I imagine there'd be an uproar if something like this was marketed this year. What do you make of that?
Oh wait it isn't an Illawarra rag as the whingers like to call it lol.
It doesn't resemble the Steelers jersey at all. And they had scarlet.

You couldn't even get that part right.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
What's wrong with someone saying that? Is only playing in the Red V the new 'alternative' opinion?

Personally, I understand the need for an alternate jersey.

Edit: TruSaint, I agree that we live in the alternative world.

Not all that long ago, our alternate/away jersey was similar to the blood and bandages of the 1940s, but more closely resembling the first grade jersey on the early 1920s.
_39114268_timmins200.jpg

I imagine there'd be an uproar if something like this was marketed this year. What do you make of that?
It doesn't resemble the Steelers jersey at all. And they had scarlet.

You couldn't even get that part right.

I LOVE AND have the blood and bandages jersey. Am I wrong it existed before the RED V? I think most Saints fans of our generation admire the B&B jersey. Thing is, from a merchandising perspective, ( I look at my son and his mates ), this new generation outfit becomes a catalyst to sales, and maybe / just maybe a closer bond to their team. Its a little "out there", but seems to be a viable proposition based on demand thus far ( only from those here and those i speak to ).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I LOVE AND have the blood and bandages jersey. Am I wrong it existed before the RED V?
No, and that wasn't my point.

The Red V has been our greatest jersey and by far the most recognisable.

But of course the red hooped jersey and blood 'n bandages have a special place in our history. Our first premiership was won in the blood 'n bandages.

My question was how do you think people would react if that was marketed this year? Would there be a backlash from the Illawarra?

I suspect there was such a backlash some years ago, and now we have something that is there to appease the Illawarra... but in a weird twist it looks nothing like the old Steelers jersey.

I think most Saints fans of our generation admire the B&B jersey. Thing is, from a merchandising perspective, ( I look at my son and his mates ), this new generation outfit becomes a catalyst to sales, and maybe / just maybe a closer bond to their team. Its a little "out there", but seems to be a viable proposition based on demand thus far ( only from those here and those i speak to ).
No problems with that, if it makes a quid. Trot it out for one trial match (not the Charity Shield)... perhaps an Auckland Nines game. And of course there's the annual Saints v Canberra game where it can get a run. But they do tend to overdo this, and sometimes it's hard to tell the alternate jersey from the opposition's jersey.

TruSaint

Referee
No, and that wasn't my point.

The Red V has been our greatest jersey and by far the most recognisable.

But of course the red hooped jersey and blood 'n bandages have a special place in our history. Our first premiership was won in the blood 'n bandages.

My question was how do you think people would react if that was marketed this year? Would there be a backlash from the Illawarra?

I suspect there was such a backlash some years ago, and now we have something that is there to appease the Illawarra... but in a weird twist it looks nothing like the old Steelers jersey.

No problems with that, if it makes a quid. Trot it out for one trial match (not the Charity Shield)... perhaps an Auckland Nines game. And of course there's the annual Saints v Canberra game where it can get a run. But they do tend to overdo this, and sometimes it's hard to tell the alternate jersey from the opposition's jersey.

What I will say is that between the 9's, Anzac day, Charity Shield , Rivalry round, Comic heroes , away strip/s' etc, there is a plethera of products that sometimes defeat the purpose. Im all for creative ways to get the younger brigade through the turnstiles, so long as the Red V, which is arguably the most recognisable strip in NRL, is used to its max. But just like Kogarah ( 5 games at ANZ next year ), we are up against it. Just my 2 cents worth...

Latest posts