What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Alternate Strip

TruSaint

Referee
Blood n bandages. Nothing else.

Straight Shooter

Great post... maybe ur best ever.. in all seriousness.

BTW, I agree... what about all the other events during the year ?

C shield / Anzac day / Rivalry round nd so forth.

Ur cant have B and B if it conflicts ... so what do we do ?

Get my drift ?

Mr Red

First Grade
From a marketing perspective it will sell quite well, lots of mums and dads will buy for their kids. As an adult i dont see too many wanting to purchase for themselves..
as a Rugby League jersey i think it misses the mark...
If we are not really intending to recognise the Illawarra part of the JV by having a scarlett jersey then i am at a lost why persist with the "all red" look, and should introduce a bit more white into the design.

just my thoughts..

i guess another example of marketing and dollars being put ahead of purpose.

The Nick

Bench
What's wrong with someone saying that? Is only playing in the Red V the new 'alternative' opinion?

Personally, I understand the need for an alternate jersey.

Edit: TruSaint, I agree that we live in the alternative world.

Not all that long ago, our alternate/away jersey was similar to the blood and bandages of the 1940s, but more closely resembling the first grade jersey on the early 1920s.
_39114268_timmins200.jpg

I imagine there'd be an uproar if something like this was marketed this year. What do you make of that?
It doesn't resemble the Steelers jersey at all. And they had scarlet.

You couldn't even get that part right.

Hi Willow. Nothing wrong with a preference for the Red V - I prefer it myself, however I also enjoy some of the alternative designs. Some have been horrible but some I really like.

What gets tiring is the repetitive whining about the club daring to come up with anything other than the Red V (even though it is an NRL requirement). It's actually weird that people seem to take genuine offense to any alternative design, even though it's a norm in the sporting world.

I understand tradition, but I also understand the need for progress. I believe that the majority of our young fans (who are essentially the future of our club) do not have the emotional investment in the Red V that our older fans do. I understand part of the reason the alternative jerseys sell so well is because the kids love them. Genuinely interested to know your thoughts on this.

Love the blood and bandages and would love to see it make a comeback. The 08 centenary release is my favourite. I don't mind the alternate at all to be completely honest, the missus loves it so will probably end up getting it for her.
Personally I'm always happy to just get the red v each year, if not I always fork out for the ANZAC Jersey regardless. If its going to make money at the end of the day we're good to go.
Ultimately its not everyones cup of tea, but whats that saying about pleasing all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time

Great post... maybe ur best ever.. in all seriousness.

BTW, I agree... what about all the other events during the year ?

C shield / Anzac day / Rivalry round nd so forth.

Ur cant have B and B if it conflicts ... so what do we do ?

Get my drift ?

Don't see how the Red V or B & B conflicts with any other team's jersey.

Straight Shooter

Saintjim

Juniors
I have a theory that only our first grade team should wear the red v and the 20s should wear the alternate strip I believe that it should be earnt and would bring some pride back into the jersey as its not just given to anyone to where
Thoughts?

TruSaint

Referee
Don't see how the Red V or B & B conflicts with any other team's jersey.

Straight Shooter

Doesnt have to conflict... These r designated games by the NRL, that imply a new look. Charity Shield / Anzac day / Heritage day / etc...

Is Iron Man conflicting with anyone ?

TruSaint

Referee
I have a theory that only our first grade team should wear the red v and the 20s should wear the alternate strip I believe that it should be earnt and would bring some pride back into the jersey as its not just given to anyone to where
Thoughts?

Great post...
Away of "working toward a goal ".
Dunno about the logistics, but good idea.

Saintjim

Juniors
I know players aren't die hards like us (if only they were ) I think that the prize of the jersey and to say I had to make grade to wear it would be a reason to stay not just leave for the money maybe we might still have bird or Hastings

TruSaint

Referee
I know players aren't die hards like us (if only they were ) I think that the prize of the jersey and to say I had to make grade to wear it would be a reason to stay not just leave for the money maybe we might still have bird or Hastings

What it does it set a goal. The downside as I see it, is that the RED V will get less exposure overall, but I get the gist of your proposal.

The Nick

Bench
Doesnt have to conflict... These r designated games by the NRL, that imply a new look. Charity Shield / Anzac day / Heritage day / etc...

Is Iron Man conflicting with anyone ?

Alternative jerseys make more money for the club, comply with NRL directives and give grown men something to whine about. Everybody wins!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What gets tiring is the repetitive whining about the club daring to come up with anything other than the Red V
Fans are entitled to voice their protest about any decisions made by the club, it should be a fundamental right of supporters and one of the reasons why discussion forums exist.

And it's not as repetitive as you make out. If you find it tiring then I suggest that you are looking too hard.

These alternate jerseys can be divisive. I just found it ironic that the division was started by a pro-alternate such as yourself, even before a shot was fired by any critic. You seemed keen to start a stoush. It's quite funny really.... by your own hand you have highlighted how divisive this issue can be.

The Nick

Bench
Fans are entitled to voice their protest about any decisions made by the club, it should be a fundamental right of supporters and one of the reasons why discussion forums exist.

Exactly, and my stance has enticed you to enter a discussion with me. That's why discussion forums exist.

And it's not as repetitive as you make out.

Interesting statement - all I said was that it was repetitive. I never said how many repetitions. Just so we're clear, how repetitive did I make out it was? How many times does something need to be repeated to be defined as "repetitive as you make out"?

If you find it tiring then I suggest that you are looking too hard.

I would make the same argument for anyone who finds a reason to be upset about an alternative jersey.

These alternate jerseys can be divisive. I just found it ironic that the division was started by a pro-alternate such as yourself, even before a shot was fired by any critic. You seemed keen to start a stoush. It's quite funny really.... by your own hand you have highlighted how divisive this issue can be.

How is it even ironic? If there truly is a division between "pro-alternates" and "anti-alternates" then why is a "pro-alternate" the least likely to start the argument?

And did I really even start the division, or did I merely anticipate andf highlight it? I can't be held responsible for jersey designs or the personal opinions of them, so how can I possibly responsible for the ensuing division that results? Weird statement.

The Nick

Bench
I understand tradition, but I also understand the need for progress. I believe that the majority of our young fans (who are essentially the future of our club) do not have the emotional investment in the Red V that our older fans do. I understand part of the reason the alternative jerseys sell so well is because the kids love them. Genuinely interested to know your thoughts on this.

Willow - care to offer your thoughts on this?

Same could potentially said about Kogarah?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Nick said:
Exactly, and my stance has enticed you to enter a discussion with me. That's why discussion forums exist.
Way to miss the point.

I maintain that people are allowed to voice their protest, regardless of how much you disapprove.
Interesting statement - all I said was that it was repetitive. I never said how many repetitions. Just so we're clear, how repetitive did I make out it was? How many times does something need to be repeated to be defined as "repetitive as you make out"?
lol. Can you say that again?

To clarify, you said it was repetitive to the point of making you tired. Maybe you just tire easy.
The Nick said:
Willow - care to offer your thoughts on this?
I already said that it makes a quid and I addressed this in an earlier post.

Plus I understand how kids like 'new' stuff and that's a market which many businesses will exploit. McDonalds have it down pat. It's a business, yes... but a little different with sporting teams because fans invest more than their money.

The Nick said:
And did I really even start the division
Haha! In this thread... You brought it up.

The Nick

Bench
Way to miss the point.

I maintain that people are allowed to voice their protest, regardless of how much you disapprove.lol. Can you say that again?

To clarify, you said it was repetitive to the point of making you tired. Maybe you just tire easy.
I already said that it makes a quid and I addressed this in an earlier post.

Plus I understand how kids like 'new' stuff and that's a market which many businesses will exploit. McDonalds have it down pat. It's a business, yes... but a little different with sporting teams because fans invest more than their money.

Haha! In this thread... You brought it up.

I raise the point because (with all due respect) I believe the traditional St George fan with the emotional investment in the Red V and Kogarah are an aging population. Every Dragons fan 18 years and under is a "St George-Illawarra Dragons" fan and has never known the team as anything different. I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.

Latest posts