What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Alternate Strip

Dorsai

Juniors
My preference would always be Red V and daylight 2nd. This strip is the best I have seen for an alternate strip though. I just prefer us in the Red V and dislike the notion of "alternate" strips.
Everyone will have a preference though.

grouch

First Grade
I raise the point because (with all due respect) I believe the traditional St George fan with the emotional investment in the Red V and Kogarah are an aging population. Every Dragons fan 18 years and under is a "St George-Illawarra Dragons" fan and has never known the team as anything different. I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.

I'm curious to know, then, what the millenials find about the St George Illawarra Dragons that warrants an emotional investment? If it's not the Red V, if it's not the spiritual home(s), then what is it? It's not like we're a fashionable club that wins all the time. There are precious few "local heroes". This is a key question, I feel. If there is no emotional investment, then the supporters are simply customers. And customers are free to just walk away when their expectations aren't met - and they have.

Mr Red

First Grade
I'm curious to know, then, what the millenials find about the St George Illawarra Dragons that warrants an emotional investment? If it's not the Red V, if it's not the spiritual home(s), then what is it? It's not like we're a fashionable club that wins all the time. There are precious few "local heroes". This is a key question, I feel. If there is no emotional investment, then the supporters are simply customers. And customers are free to just walk away when their expectations aren't met - and they have.

well said!

Fact is the love of the red V has been handed down in most cases from generation to generation.

Would like to know how many people including commentators refer to the team as StGeorge Illawarra.

Next someone will tell me Cronulla is referred to as Cronulla Sutherland

The Nick

Bench
I'm curious to know, then, what the millenials find about the St George Illawarra Dragons that warrants an emotional investment? If it's not the Red V, if it's not the spiritual home(s), then what is it? It's not like we're a fashionable club that wins all the time. There are precious few "local heroes". This is a key question, I feel. If there is no emotional investment, then the supporters are simply customers. And customers are free to just walk away when their expectations aren't met - and they have.[\

What are you even basing this on? Red V membership numbers indicate the complete opposite of what you're suggesting. Don't lower yourself to OV's standards by making up facts.

The Nick

Bench
Fact is the love of the red V has been handed down in most cases from generation to generation.

Would like to know how many people including commentators refer to the team as StGeorge Illawarra.

What do you even base this "fact" on? Don't claim your own personal beliefs as "fact".

tumbidragon

First Grade
Not a Jersey, but found my Xmas present!
black%20dragon_zpsbhpiki6g.jpg

http://shop.dragons.com.au/collections/isc-gear-mens/products/dragons-carbon-heritage-polo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I raise the point because (with all due respect) I believe the traditional St George fan with the emotional investment in the Red V and Kogarah are an aging population.
I get what you are trying to say. The 'aging' are less relevant than kids. Those who support Kogarah and the Red V are stuck in the past.

Please cut us aging folk some slack... we pathetically recall a time when the club was well run, with an annual profit of 400%. The clubhouse was the best in the League. And the team, well... we were expected to win. A lean year was when we finished in the top four. Outside of the top four was considered failure.

And other teams feared going to Kogarah.

Regardless of what is happening now, we are witnesses to better times.

Yep, we are stuck in the past. But... and here's the clue... we want that past to be the future.

The Nick said:
Every Dragons fan 18 years and under is a "St George-Illawarra Dragons" fan and has never known the team as anything different. I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.
I certainly hope you're wrong. I personally think that many teenagers are made of sterner stuff. If they feel like protesting, they should be encouraged to do so.

We saw the rot on the wall many years ago, but dislodging this festering mould was no mean feat. That said, there were some small gains. When the heirarchy was in real trouble, they did react. A coach was found from outside and there were signs of a real shake up.

But it didn't last.

During the post-premiership fervor of 2010, the Leagues Club board pushed through a motion that stopped new members voting at LC elections and meetings for 3 years. While we all celebrating, they were looking after their positions.

And if what you are saying is true, and there is no opposition in the future, then we are stuffed. The board will be happy.

Again, I hope you're wrong.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator

The commentators and media try to say "St George Illawarra" or "Dragons". Sometimes you almost hear them adding it on. But they forget every now and then and just say "St George". I recall Ray Warren once apologising for saying "St George" after he got emails.

In New Zealand the commentators say "St George" more often.

The referees say "St George" even more frequently. I think at ground level no one really cares.

tumbidragon

First Grade
The commentators and media try to say "St George Illawarra" or "Dragons". Sometimes you almost hear them adding it on. But they forget every now and then and just say "St George". I recall Ray Warren once apologising for saying "St George" after he got emails.

In New Zealand the commentators say "St George" more often.

The referees say "St George" even more frequently. I think at ground level no one really cares.

Joey generally refers to us as either St George or Saints. Bless him...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Beautifully said.

Unfortunately the Club appears to want customers first, fans second. There's an old saying, "be careful what you wish for". Fans stick around, while customers have a habit of walking away.

The Red V membership is an excellent vehicle to promote the Club expand the fan base. But unfortunately it seems to be more focussed on creating consumers. I would be happy if I thought they were getting the balance right and the Club was being run well, but I have my doubts.

Jubileeboy

First Grade

Maybe they just like the St George Illawarra Dragons?
Or the colours
Or a player
Or their family follows the club
Or they go to school in the area and had a player visit
Or they like Dragons
Or their old Pop took them to a game
Or they had a family member play there in years gone past
Or a school mate plays there
Why must it be limited to a jersey or where they play ? Do you follow St Helens? Similar Red V.
Every supporter/consumer/customer/fan will give you a different reason.

bottle

Coach
Most commentators struggle with the 'Illawarra' addition as a standard nomenclature. In 'hearts and minds' terms that battle is lost. We are still St. George to the majority, and that includes most fans who still often refer to us as 'Saints'.
As for alternate jerseys, I recognise it as a commercial necessity. But I have the V, along with the badge from the 60's, burnt into my psyche. It defines us, and me.

The Nick

Bench
I get what you are trying to say. The 'aging' are less relevant than kids. Those who support Kogarah and the Red V are stuck in the past.

Please cut us aging folk some slack...

Ok interesting that you've already turned it into "us" vs them. Clearly you've grouped me with "them", the younger generations I refer to. I'm flattered to say the least.

But I'm speaking objectively about the future of the club in the NRL. People on this forum have gone at lengths to point out how far we are behind certain clubs. And yet any notion of change is shot down.

we pathetically recall a time when the club was well run, with an annual profit of 400%. The clubhouse was the best in the League. And the team, well... we were expected to win. A lean year was when we finished in the top four. Outside of the top four was considered failure.

And other teams feared going to Kogarah.

Yes it was a wonderful time before excessive pokie taxes and salary caps, a time when clubs had more money to invest in their rugby league teams and we could carry 11 internationals on our books without any thoughts of breaching a cap (did we not at one stage have 3 future immortals and Norm Provan on our books?).

Regardless of what is happening now, we are witnesses to better times.

Yep, we are stuck in the past. But... and here's the clue... we want that past to be the future.

To quote Bob Dylan - the times they are a changing. In fact they've already changed.

I certainly hope you're wrong. I personally think that many teenagers are made of sterner stuff. If they feel like protesting, they should be encouraged to do so.

And there's your answer. Where are the teenagers outraged about alternative jerseys? Where are the teenagers protesting outside the club? No where to be seen. So who will carry this legacy once this aging population stops attending games and buying memberships (ie dead, for lack of a better term)?

We saw the rot on the wall many years ago, but dislodging this festering mould was no mean feat. That said, there were some small gains. When the heirarchy was in real trouble, they did react. A coach was found from outside and there were signs of a real shake up.

But it didn't last.

During the post-premiership fervor of 2010, the Leagues Club board pushed through a motion that stopped new members voting at LC elections and meetings for 3 years. While we all celebrating, they were looking after their positions.

And if what you are saying is true, and there is no opposition in the future, then we are stuffed. The board will be happy.

Again, I hope you're wrong.

Very rare occasion that I'm wrong. But I guess out of us 2 I will be the only one around to find out.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Most commentators struggle with the 'Illawarra' addition as a standard nomenclature. In 'hearts and minds' terms that battle is lost. We are still St. George to the majority, and that includes most fans who still often refer to us as 'Saints'.
As for alternate jerseys, I recognise it as a commercial necessity. But I have the V, along with the badge from the 60's, burnt into my psyche. It defines us, and me.
And your sig file. I know where you got from. ;-)

The Nick

Bench
Maybe they just like the St George Illawarra Dragons?
Or the colours
Or a player
Or their family follows the club
Or they go to school in the area and had a player visit
Or they like Dragons
Or their old Pop took them to a game
Or they had a family member play there in years gone past
Or a school mate plays there
Why must it be limited to a jersey or where they play ? Do you follow St Helens? Similar Red V.
Every supporter/consumer/customer/fan will give you a different reason.

WHAT!? :eek:

I raise the point because (with all due respect) I believe the traditional St George fan with the emotional investment in the Red V and Kogarah are an aging population. Every Dragons fan 18 years and under is a "St George-Illawarra Dragons" fan and has never known the team as anything different. I could be wrong, but it's just a thought.

You have the mental agility of rabbit droppings.

FACT.

Straight Shooter

Latest posts