What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

Warriors Fever

Juniors
From all reports they are revising the International schedule to something like this.

Year 1 - Tours
Y2 - Intercontinental Cup - 6-8 team
Y3 - Tours & WCQs
Y4 - World Cup

With maybe an RLIF 9's at the start of years 1 & 3.
Ok that may be for the better, as long as we get consistent competition

guyver78

Juniors
soccer is a game for women
its not a valid comparison with a collision sport like League

in saying that
I don't know how you'd compensate broadcasters for them losing 72 games
nearly a third of the season
we already have a rep schedule , so you can't go to them & say we'll replace club games with a rep program.

the game can't afford to lose 33% of its media revenue
so it will never happen.

Exactly right, you can't compare a sport like soccer to a brutal contact sport. I'm also not saying that it's ever going to happen because as we all know in the end it's all about the $$$ and the NRL can't afford to lose the revenue.

Just simply saying that I'd love to see a total of 18, maybe 20 games at the most. Games that actually excite you during the season. How many people really care about the Rabbitohs playing the Roosters in the middle of the year during the Origin period with no Origin stars?

Warriors Fever

Juniors
It would be interesting if we added in another two teams, then we could reduce the season, but the NRL would just go for greater revenue. I and many other league acquaintances love internationals especially as the competition has a higher standard.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
How many people really care about the Rabbitohs playing the Roosters in the middle of the year during the Origin period with no Origin stars?

I don't remember any of these games being held in the middle of the season, usually one at the start and end (except this year when they played them both before RD 10). I think the NRL try to avoid genuine rivalries at this time, and clubs use the origin period to take games away from home (aka Panthers to Christchurch/Bathurst). It does suck but the best alternative would be to play all 3 Origins within 3-4 weeks, and having each club playing maybe once.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Unprecedented ticket sales for members apparently.

This will sell out. A lot of black white and blue fans....
Appears to be single seats only left in a couple of areas, most of the stadium is sold out the day before they go onsale to the general public. This is great for the game, the best way to get member numbers up is to get to the point where you can't get to the big events if you are not a member.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
do we all agree that RL will be more than 16 teams again one day... ?

You would have to think the low hanging fruit would be to go Brisbane 2 and Perth, timed to start in 2020 when the new tv deal starts..

This gives NRL 24 more games to sell a year, both with great tv appeal, (ch 9 gets a lang park game every friday) late saturday / sunday game from perth..

Part of this negotiation has to be if we add 24 games to tv deal, we need to drop a round or 2 from the draw.. maybe even just juggle one more bye in for each team

NRL has to really start planning for 2020.. how good would a strategic plan called '2020 vision'(ok name sucks)
to come out next year laying out the ground work for next 10+ years... we need a long term vision..

im pretty sure the competition has one... :eek:

Perth Red

Post Whore
do we all agree that RL will be more than 16 teams again one day... ?

You would have to think the low hanging fruit would be to go Brisbane 2 and Perth, timed to start in 2020 when the new tv deal starts..

This gives NRL 24 more games to sell a year, both with great tv appeal, (ch 9 gets a lang park game every friday) late saturday / sunday game from perth..

Part of this negotiation has to be if we add 24 games to tv deal, we need to drop a round or 2 from the draw.. maybe even just juggle one more bye in for each team

NRL has to really start planning for 2020.. how good would a strategic plan called '2020 vision'(ok name sucks)
to come out next year laying out the ground work for next 10+ years... we need a long term vision..

im pretty sure the competition has one... :eek:

Haha, rugby league having a long term strategic vision? Get off the sugary drinks mate.

AFL recognised to maximise the next tv deal they needed a ninth game to sell, bringing in two clubs nobody wanted still managed to net them $66million a year extra than NRL in Australian media rights. Makes the $36mill a year spent on those two teams seem good business.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Haha, rugby league having a long term strategic vision? Get off the sugary drinks mate.

AFL recognised to maximise the next tv deal they needed a ninth game to sell, bringing in two clubs nobody wanted still managed to net them $66million a year extra than NRL in Australian media rights. Makes the $36mill a year spent on those two teams seem good business.

That is not including all the NRL rights. Add in NZ sky and OS rights and its more like 36m more than NRL.

And it is 41m spent on those 2 teams in 2015, 18m on GCS and 23m spent on GWS.

Over 200m wasted on GCS and GWS in the last 5 years, not sure that is a great return tbh.

taipan

Referee
That is not including all the NRL rights. Add in NZ sky and OS rights and its more like 36m more than NRL.

Over 200m wasted on GCS and GWS in the last 5 years, not sure that is a great return tbh.

Spot on.

seanoff

Juniors
Not sure

GWS pulled a huge number on sat night. That's why they are there. TV. I suspect the AFL were extremely happy with the number. Fox will also be happy with their number.

GWS exist to pull TV numbers in sydney/nsw It seemed to work. 534K on Fox is decent.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Not sure

GWS pulled a huge number on sat night. That's why they are there. TV. I suspect the AFL were extremely happy with the number. Fox will also be happy with their number.

GWS exist to pull TV numbers in sydney/nsw It seemed to work. 534K on Fox is decent.
Where do you think all those numbers came from? If it was Western Bulldogs V St Kilda I guarantee it would have been higher.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

We do have more bullets in gun though.. for next tv deal..

Surely someone at Moore Park will wake up and see this..

If a 9th game can bring in even $40 million a year.. you could chuck Perth / Brisbane a start up grant of $5-10M ... just no salary cap relief..

We need to make sure we are still somewhere near competitive on tv figures in 4 years..

If channel 9 numbers keep falling, we may not be

seanoff

Juniors
Where do you think all those numbers came from? If it was Western Bulldogs V St Kilda I guarantee it would have been higher.

Really? It the second highest rating prelim in AFL FTA history. Behind Coll v Geelong 2007 And both of those clubs are vast. It peaked at 3.65M.

GWS also beat the Swans in Sydney by close to 60K on 7. And 70K overall on Fox (TV Tonight figures0

Maybe WBvSTK would have got more but i doubt it.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Really? It the second highest rating prelim in AFL FTA history. Behind Coll v Geelong 2007 And both of those clubs are vast. It peaked at 3.65M.

GWS also beat the Swans in Sydney by close to 60K on 7. And 70K overall on Fox (TV Tonight figures0

All to do with the Bulldogs, trust me. I live in WA and everyone is jumping on the Bulldogs bandwagon because they haven't won in such a long time. Nobody gives two hoots about GWS, you just had to look at the crowd on Saturday, it was mostly Blue and there was plenty of spare seats in a 22K stadium.
Anyway, we have to stop looking at the opposition. We have a great product, our games in the finals have been far superior to theirs and we have more upside moving forward. The AFL is peaking out at the moment, they cant really expand any further. We still have many opportunities for expansion and if we can get it right our international game hasn't even started to reach its potential. Focus on our backyard and everything will look after itself.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

We will never know.

But given how little support the Giants have it would be simplistic to base the high numbers on their participation in the game.

I suspect other reasons at play.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
We will never know.

But given how little support the Giants have it would be simplistic to base the high numbers on their participation in the game.

I suspect other reasons at play.
There are many bandwagoners on the bulldogs plus a lot just to see how the Giants would go. If it were GWS Vs West Coast/ Adelaide or Hawthorn then numbers would have been much less.

Perth Red

Post Whore

comparing apples with apples, Australian media deals.
And you really dont think spending $40mill a year to return $66million plus national profile plus taking the fight to your competitors doorstep plus building on a fake pulic perception as "Autralias game" is a good return? They have effectively buit clubs in direct competition to NRL heartland areas, got the media to pay for it and come out $26million a year on top. We can but dream....