What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

Raiderdave

First Grade
You can, but it doesn't pay.
Its better to master the wrestle techniques like Storm, Cowboys 15, Rabbitohs 14.

Haha
The Raiders finished 2nd in the H&A
Scored more points then any side in a regular season. The Panthers were also a breath of fresh air.

The young Tigers were exciting at times

There's no need to change anything more then what is being changed already.
You can beat the wrestle
It's a fact dummy

Raiderdave

First Grade
Average crowds went up fairly steadily between 1987 and 2005 (from 9000 in 87 to 16,500 in 05 ((big dip in 97 and 98)) when point scoring was on a general climb (from average 32 points per game in 87 to average 46 points per game in 2005). I guess this was due to things like bringing in the 10metres.

Between 2005 and 2016 crowds have declined down to 15,200 as points have gradually dropped down to about 40 points per game. I guess this is due to the wrestle.

Get point scoring up and exciting offensive play (particularly passing) = increased crowds.

The NFL theory is that that is true at any point in the spectrum (i.e. even if you don't also reduce ticket prices etc).

Yeah
Wot utter rubbish lol

T-Boon

Coach
Haha
The Raiders finished 2nd in the H&A
Scored more points then any side in a regular season. The Panthers were also a breath of fresh air.

The wrestler won pretty easily in the end.

I suspect one of the reasons that the conservative play & wrestling techniques always end up wining at finals time is that the finals are played at night time and its just harder to throw the ball around in those conditions.

Lets make it harder to win through those techniques. That will bring in bigger crowds.
If we get teams like Canberra and Penrith playing that style on the big stage of the GF (and NSW & Qld playing more like that), we are going to end up getting massive crowds.

T-Boon

Coach
"if someone wants to accuse the National Football League of promoting offence to make the game more exciting, [the committee] believes the league should plead guilty"

From a 2012 NFL Competition Committee report.

Thats coming from the rules committee of arguably the biggest sporting league in the world. A sport the rugby league great Jack Gibson described as "the same game with different rules".

T-Boon

Coach
The big changes the NFL brought in were all designed to promote more QB passing and less running (hit ups) because that leads to more touchdowns and generally more spectacular play and as their many years of obsession about statistics and research showed...big increases in crowds.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The big changes the NFL brought in were all designed to promote more QB passing and less running (hit ups) because that leads to more touchdowns and generally more spectacular play and as their many years of obsession about statistics and research showed...big increases in crowds.

Why are you comparing with NFL? Rugby League is not meant to be a high scoring game. The highest quality and most entertaining games in recent memory have all been low scoring. The Roosters V Manly semi which finished 4-0 and Lockyers last game against the Dragons are probably best finals matches of the last few years (not to mention last years grand final).

Scorelines like 42-26 are not what rugby league fans want to see. The suggestion that if more tries are scored more people will watch is ridiculous.

T-Boon

Coach
Rugby League is not meant to be a high scoring game.

If defence was meant to dominate attack it would be more entertaining. When my team is defending all I want is not to concede a try or give away a penalty. You don't even get to see shoulder charges anymore. Defence is way more entertaining in American Football yet still they say it is better to have the offence dominating.

Scorelines like 42-26 are not what rugby league fans want to see. The suggestion that if more tries are scored more people will watch is ridiculous.

Look at the general reaction to how boring state of origin has become and the reaction to Melbourne's wrestle tactics. Look at the drop in crowds over the period that the wrestle has taken off. There is plenty of evidence that even rugby league fans who are willing to attend the ground are feed up with it.

Fans frustration with referees is really frustration at how decisive ref decisions have become in this era of conservative, completion first football (there are twice as many penalties each game as line breaks).

More tries (and passing and play making) equals bigger crowds.

Last edited:

Marlins

Juniors
If defence was meant to dominate attack it would be more entertaining. When my team is defending all I want is not to concede a try or give away a penalty. You don't even get to see shoulder charges anymore. Defence is way more entertaining in American Football yet still they say it is better to have the offence dominating.

Look at the general reaction to how boring state of origin has become and the reaction to Melbourne's wrestle tactics. Look at the drop in crowds over the period that the wrestle has taken off. There is plenty of evidence that even rugby league fans who are willing to attend the ground are feed up with it.

Fans frustration with referees is really frustration at how decisive ref decisions have become in this era of conservative, completion first football (there are twice as many penalties each game as line breaks).

More tries (and passing and play making) equals bigger crowds.
I have never watched a boring SOO and there is no such thing as a dead rubber in that form of the game. Watching Qld beat the scum blues regardless of the score is still exciting. The only thing I agree with is the wrestling tactics by the storm yet there home crowds and memberships have risen. It would be good if all the teams had there own style of play all different now that would be more entertaining. As the comp is now I've never been more exited about the game I was thinking last night what the f**k am I going to watch during the off season

Billythekid

First Grade
You can, but it doesn't pay.
Its better to master the wrestle techniques like Storm, Cowboys 15, Rabbitohs 14.

The rabbits were the 3rd best attacking team that year and in their 3 finals appearances scored 40, 32 and 30 points. The cowboys were the 2nd best attacking team in the comp and in the finals scored 12, 39, 32 and 17 points.

How on earth can you use those 2 teams winning as examples that only the best wrestling teams win? In both those years the best wrestling teams lost and the teams that won were arguably the most exciting in the comp.

Even this year it's a stretch to just call the sharks the best wrestlers. They have played plenty of good attacking football. Sure the raiders didn't win, they haven't quite gelled yet and had injuries to key players (even if they managed to play). Still they were probably the better team against the storm and sharks and just couldn't quite get the job down.

Beyond that yet again you've taken one overly simplistic stat and attempted to paint a far to broad picture using a very narrow analysis. Why hasn't this supposed drop in point scoring affected tv ratings? If anything you would expect to see more of an impact there but we haven't. Why have SOO crowds done so well in that same time frame with no points scored? It's a far more complex issue than that and i feel extremely confident that a slight drop in points per game isn't the answer. Maybe i'll make a more complex post on the matter later on but f**k it i'm going to enjoy my day off now instead.

Firstly, whoever said defence was meant to dominate attack? No one in this thread. As such I'd recommend you stop trying to attribute words to people whom did not speak them. It is the contest between good attack and good defence that makes a good game. If you think 34-28 type games is "exciting" then go watch Toyota Cup where the concept of "defence" seems foreign to many players, with some of the worst tacking techniques I've seen - and I'm including my own team's U/20s team when I say that. Also don't confuse defence with "wrestling" which is what you are doing. You are equating them which other people are not.

You seem to predicating that only increasing points scored will bring in the crowds and cite the NFL as your proof of concept. Guess what soccer in a number of countries pack 'em in and they can have very low scoring games or even draws. Further if you want the NFL as your blue print, where do you think "Golden Point extra time" came from?

Marlins

Juniors
Test has been sold out for weeks, unless they have released some last minute tickets.
RLW posted some crap on Facebook last night saying if the RL can't sell out 20k tix for the test they should give up in the west. I thought it was sold out too and I thought the stadium holds 25k so it's probably just another BS article from them.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
RLW posted some crap on Facebook last night saying if the RL can't sell out 20k tix for the test they should give up in the west. I thought it was sold out too and I thought the stadium holds 25k so it's probably just another BS article from them.
Just checked and sure as hell you can now get tickets. This is crap, I know heaps of people who where going to go but couldn't get tickets over the last couple of weeks, every time they tried to get tickets it stated no tickets available. The general consensus has been that the game was sold out, this could cost them a heap of fans attending.

T-Boon

Coach
Firstly, whoever said defence was meant to dominate attack? No one in this thread.

I AM saying defence dominates attack. It does. More so than at any point in at least the last 18 years. One of the main ways you can spot it is all the decoy running that coaches need to employ - there just isn't enough space to trouble the defence without getting decoy runners going everywhere to try to deceive the defence. The other way you can spot is of course is the gradual decline in points scored per game over that period of time (it has dropped by 8 points per game since 04).

With better, more adventurous attack we will also get more appealing defence. Cover tackles, try savers, interceptions etc.

The big problem is this one out conservative attack. It is too easy to get from one end to the other by doing nothing but taking the free 7 or 8 metres on offer. There are way too many of those plays.

We just need more players making plays.

Latest posts