What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Crowd Watch

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
There was 28K for the Sharks V Storm prelim in 2008. There is FAR more hype around the Sharks this season than back then.

Should be lots of neutrals as well, myself included.

Paullyboy

Coach
Are you capable of discussing crowds, or are you too busy with personal attacks?

You also over-estimate how much people care about Canberra. You lot have spent this entire season bleating despite the fact you're still bottom four of the home crowd averages, and have been for years.

The NRL needs Canberra to be strong with membership & attendance, and I hope it continues into next season. But I'm not holding my breath.

It's hard not to go down that line when someone has clearly nailed their allegiance to the wall, yet refuses to openly admit it.

The very valid point has been made several times in this thread recently, but I'll make it again. It is much better for the game to have 21.5k in a 25k stadium than it is to have 25 or 30k in an 80k stadium.

The bean-counting accountants might disagree, but they don't understand the value of neutrals who are watching on TV. Like them or not, but they want an atmosphere and the perception that what they are watching is important - and neutrals lose interest in a real hurry when they see more empty seats than full ones as it's impossible for them to justify that they're watching a big event.

The other, probably more important, factor is that Canberra is just starting to show some signs of fighting back in the sporting turf war. Having 21k Canberrans is a heck of a lot more important than a bunch of die-hard Sydney-based NRL fans that already love the game but are going along because the game is in their backyard. Those people are already won over, the neutrals/bandwagoners in Canberra are new (and possibly long-term) opportunities.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's hard not to go down that line when someone has clearly nailed their allegiance to the wall, yet refuses to openly admit it.
What allegiance? I just don't see why we're ok with a stadium as inferior as GIO (even Canberrans admit this) should be hosting a Prelim. And before the "but it's ok for Townsville/Melbourne" arguments arise, I don't agree the grounds they use are fit for it either. Especially Melbourne.
The very valid point has been made several times in this thread recently, but I'll make it again. It is much better for the game to have 21.5k in a 25k stadium than it is to have 25 or 30k in an 80k stadium.
If we're talking a Qual/Elim or Week 2 Semi, I agree. Not for a Prelim Final.
The bean-counting accountants might disagree, but they don't understand the value of neutrals who are watching on TV. Like them or not, but they want an atmosphere and the perception that what they are watching is important - and neutrals lose interest in a real hurry when they see more empty seats than full ones as it's impossible for them to justify that they're watching a big event.

The other, probably more important, factor is that Canberra is just starting to show some signs of fighting back in the sporting turf war. Having 21k Canberrans is a heck of a lot more important than a bunch of die-hard Sydney-based NRL fans that already love the game but are going along because the game is in their backyard. Those people are already won over, the neutrals/bandwagoners in Canberra are new (and possibly long-term) opportunities.
And that's the challenge for Canberra - to turn a lethargic fanbase into a strong one. There are good signs but there's a ways to go.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Quality response. That's why I don't bother having a proper discussion with you.
That was in reply to the Sydney-centric rubbish you'd posted one above in response to Cumberland Throw. Posted at the same time as your elaborate response which I had yet to see.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Storm v Raiders pax 10,679, purchased on Sunday night.

So we will get at least 10k ;)
That’s a bit of a shame, hopefully it picks up. Apparently flights between Canberra and Melbourne are a bit on the ridiculous side this weekend. Murray’s is offering $150 return, which is pretty good if you’re happy to spend 15 odd hours on a bus.

shaggs

Coach
Townsville to Sydney flights are expensive, just like last year when they jacked up the prices for the sharks/cows game

adamkungl

Immortal
What distance would be unacceptable for raiders fans to have to travel in timmahs mind. Somewhere between 300kms and 1400kms obviously

The exact distance where the NRL ignores its own rules is in fact 301km.. Canberra have to play in Sydney, but Gundagai's future NRL team will be allowed to play at home at their 600 capacity stadium, as long as they pick up the dogshit from the field first.

Latest posts