What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 Match Review Committee / Judiciary

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The nrl needs to go back to the drawing board with the shoulder charge rule and also put the loadings at something sensible.

some11

Referee
The nrl needs to go back to the drawing board with the shoulder charge rule and also put the loadings at something sensible.
Nah, Buettner will be lining up to get some low profile pleb done for six weeks to make himself look good.

Frederick

Staff member
Surely Buettner is a dead man walking after this latest farce. This article from June already had him on notice from Greenberg about inconsistencies, and nothing has improved since , regardless of what bestmoderatortimmah would have us believe
NRL match review chairman Michael Buettner admits mistake over Martin Taupau-Jack Bird hit
b2400fbc6bbfe76aa0a13cfd91fe1aec

PHIL ROTHFIELD, The Daily Telegraph
June 9, 2016 7:00pm
Subscriber only
b2400fbc6bbfe76aa0a13cfd91fe1aec

The NRL match review committee has finally admitted what every rugby league fan has known for months — they stuffed up and incorrectly graded the worst act of thuggery this season.

At Brookvale Oval in round three, Manly forward Martin Taupau viciously attacked the head of Sharks young gun Jack Bird, almost knocking him unconscious and forcing him from the field.

Taupau was suspended for just one week.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal match review chairman Michael Buettner recently came under heavy fire at the NRL coaches conference over his panel’s inconsistent decisions and, in particular, the Taupau-Bird high shot. He admitted to the 16 coaches the Taupau decision was wrong.

“Yes, that’s correct,” Buettner said when contacted by The Daily Telegraph.

“I did say that.

“We got the grading wrong in terms of the force and when we looked at other similar tackles.

“We didn’t factor the swinging nature, a semi-closed fist. It was definitely the wrong charge and grading. I’m not here to tell you we get everything right.”

Buettner heads the match review panel that includes former players Michael Hodgson, Brad Clyde, Bronson Harrision and Ben Ross.

While admitting the panel erred in the Taupau case, Buettner defended the panel’s decision not to act on two big incidents from last weekend.

Firstly Souths forward Nathan Brown attempting to stomp on the groin of Titans’ bench forward Agnatius Paasi and Marika Koroibete’s shoulder charge on Panthers winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak.

On the groin stomp, Buettner said: “I know it looked bad but we’ve got to base our charges on the judiciary code. We looked at dangerous contact and if there was an unacceptable risk of injury to the player.

“He got him in the upper thigh, not the groin. If he’d got him in the groin he would have been charged. We didn’t see there was enough force in it.

“If we had a charge for a grade one dumb act, dog act or shit act, it would have ticked all the boxes but we’ve got to apply what sits in the judiciary code.”

fde69c9a85e7e01e298cbe4da5da7c2c

Match review chairman Michael Buettner had admitted the committee has made mistakes.
It was a similar theme of denial with the shoulder charge.

“Koroibete is an aggressive player who was trying to save a try,” Buettner said, “For that he should be applauded.

“The upper arm needs to be tucked into the side if it’s to be determined a shoulder charge and in this case it wasn’t.”

The Daily Telegraph understands Buettner and his panel are under huge pressure from the clubs and NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg to lift their game.

It will be one of the first tasks of recently appointed Head of Football Brian Canavan to get more consistency and balance with the match review panel and the judiciary.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/b2400fbc6bbfe76aa0a13cfd91fe1aec

Paullyboy

Coach
But it's good to see the NRL/MRC got caught with this one and simply had to dig themselves a hole. Great stuff.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I bet if i go over every shoulder charge this year a good chunk of them would not meet the nrls own criteria

carcharias

Immortal
I am almost positive I stayed in some joint in Terrigal where buettner was the manager.
It was a bunch of fancy apartments.
He had a crack at me for riding my skateboard in the empty indoor carpark.
There was a parra jersey in the pool room