What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Teddyboy

First Grade
Do the NRL not send out email surveys to members of the clubs do ask what is wrong with game and why are people not turning up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do the NRL not send out email surveys to members of the clubs do ask what is wrong with game and why are people not turning up.

They've put some decent efforts into helping clubs grow memberships including paying for two staff at each club to work on membership drives. Hopefully they will at some point take a similiar approach to attendances and do something proactive. Great opportunity next season when they control fixtures, if we don't see some scheduling that maximises attendances next year then we might as well give up on it whilst these people are in control of the game.

BTown324

Juniors
It's amazing this has nearly 130 pages discussing why. It's. So. Simple.

The NRL have placed their priority on tv rights. All decisions have been made with that front of mind. Everything. If faced with a family watching it on tv or going to the ground they want that family at home watching it on channel 9 or fox sports. They don't care about attendance figures.

There will never be an increase to average crowd sizes and it's not because of the weather (which has been Sh*t) and it's not because Sydney people are lazy (we are) it's because the governing body simply don't want you there instead of watching it on TV. They've had a million opportunities to prove otherwise.

Hopefully the code hits rock bottom soon and then can climb back up because between MRC, refereeing and rules, player agents and general decision making on scheduling and marketing, the sport needs a complete overhaul ASAP.

The NRL have placed their priority on tv rights. All decisions have been made with that front of mind. Everything. If faced with a family watching it on tv or going to the ground they want that family at home watching it on channel 9 or fox sports. They don't care about attendance figures.

There will never be an increase to average crowd sizes and it's not because of the weather (which has been Sh*t) and it's not because Sydney people are lazy (we are) it's because the governing body simply don't want you there instead of watching it on TV. They've had a million opportunities to prove otherwise.

Hopefully the code hits rock bottom soon and then can climb back up because between MRC, refereeing and rules, player agents and general decision making on scheduling and marketing, the sport needs a complete overhaul ASAP.

Preach it!

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

Surely they are not dumb enough to know that both crowds and TV go hand in hand ..

Eg Put the FA cup on in an empty stadium

Viewers would drop by 80% easy

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think it has to be one or the other, in fact I know it doesn't. Just our rulers dont have a lot of faith in the value of our product so feel they have to bend over for tv. I mean last year they agreed to a Thursday and Monday night game, how fcked up is that?

Sorting crowds out could sort out most clubs sustainability issues. Upping a clubs crowd avg by 5000 is worth around $2million in extra revenue to a club. Some clubs are small and have a limited catchment so are unlikely to ever crack 20k but the others should be able to with better fixture planning, better stadiums or better fan engagement.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Crowds are down fractionally and the usual morons are full of doom and gloom.

Except for early in the tits/broncs game the atmosphere at all venues was excellent.

Plenty of kids having fun. Plenty of families. Plenty of women. A diverse range of backgrounds.

Crowds are about more than numbers sometimes.

I am a member of a couple of teams. I reckon I do a survey a month for each. And I'm very honest in my feedback. In fact when I dropped my season seats to just GA season passes, I told the club very honestly the reason why was scheduling and that it wasnt family friendly on Thursday or Monday night.

I hope they listen. I doubt it. But then again Souths are down 7000 members this year so maybe they should start to listen.

DC_fan

Coach

Needs to refocus itself

DC_fan

Coach
Crowds are down fractionally and the usual morons are full of doom and gloom.

Except for early in the tits/broncs game the atmosphere at all venues was excellent.

Plenty of kids having fun. Plenty of families. Plenty of women. A diverse range of backgrounds.

Crowds are about more than numbers sometimes.

Crowds are always either up or down fractionally. This years attendances are down approx 1/20th on last years totals.

In 2012 the premiership overall averaged approx 16,500 fans per game. This season so far, the average is approx 14,500. I don't know about you but a drop of 2,000 per game in such a short period of time has to be of concern.

Cannot agree with your comment crowds sometimes being about more then numbers. Crowds are all about how many people show up.

mongoose

Coach
Wettest March in history, you can't say "weather is just an excuse". What if next year March is completely fine and the crowd average jumps back up to 16k+?

Latest posts