What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

Perth adds an extra tv slot like the Sunday night 6.30 or a 9.30 Saturday game.
It taps into a relatively untapped market that will boost audiences the way Melbourne have in Victoriania.
And if they had two new teams it would add extra games.

I bet he greedy Sydney clubs wouldn't complain about taking the extra tv cash.

That's without considering:
More diversity and interest in the competition.
More, new fans engaged in every way, including at games.
Potential new sponsors.
A catalyst for the growth of the grassroots game in WA in the same way the Storm have grown the game in Victoriania.
Fighting VFL on their own turf for a change and forcing them to direct resources there instead of in NSW and Qld.
Smashing union at a time when the Force are probably going to be shafted.
And not least, diluting the ridiculous, detrimental hold Sydney has on the sport.

Both an Adelaide and Perth side would immeasurably benefit the NRL.

Not only the extra income from TV but sponsors who could target nationally instead of deciding to run - say, a Coles campaign for AFL nationally, or NRL in QLD / NSW. With a national footprint, the advertisers would fall over themselves to be involved with NRL I believe.

The players and the clubs need to wise up.

Things aren't working right now. Time to shake the tree a bit IMHO. Doesn't mean club deaths, relocations or what not. But we as a code need to generate and increase the pie.

The NRL sitting on its hands is a waste of time too. Adelaide and Perth could be admitted tomorrow if they wanted it.

carcharias

Immortal
cough under 9k for reigning premiers, cough. Talk about no one caring!

I agree it's shit

A shit idea making teams host games at 8pm on a Thursday night... not to mention against teams that bring virtually no supporters at all.

It only caters for tv
That is all it does

Get used to it.

There will never be big crowds while it's completely controlled by tv timeslots.

Perth Red

Post Whore
on that we agree :) See we can all find excuses for sht crowds. Like I always say, don't blame the customer for not buying the product, look at the product or the sales method. Bit funny though saying 11.4k is a disaster in an afl city whilst under 9k for a 50 year old club in the heartland can be explained away by Ko time and a need for supplementary opposition club fans ;)

Billythekid

First Grade
All people do is winge about crowd figures and schedules
All a Perth team would do is make it virtually impossible for away fans to attend a game there.

Therefore only feeding the freaking tv audience and sponsors
Basically exactly what people are whinging about

The different time zones allow us to potentially have more day games without affecting TV ratings.

The nonsense about away fans being unable to attend is just that, nonsense. The only people this affects are those from NSW (for everyone else it's already that difficult to attend basically any away games). For those in NSW you still get all you home games plus you can make the away games you play against other NSW teams. That's still a trim of games.

Judging by crowds at the moment f**k all away fans attend anyway.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Fyi guys in Toronto in Canada they had 7k people for their 2nd professional home game .

Not bad going seeing they are playing in the 3rd tier u.k comp .

Pommy

Coach
Fyi guys in Toronto in Canada they had 7k people for their 2nd professional home game .

Not bad going seeing they are playing in the 3rd tier u.k comp .

Eric Perez for NRL CEO, make the NRL great again.
We're going to build a wall and make the AFL pay for it.

carcharias

Immortal
on that we agree :) See we can all find excuses for sht crowds. Like I always say, don't blame the customer for not buying the product, look at the product or the sales method. Bit funny though saying 11.4k is a disaster in an afl city whilst under 9k for a 50 year old club in the heartland can be explained away by Ko time and a need for supplementary opposition club fans ;)

You talk up Perth like they'd get 20 k to every game if they had a team.

You bag out any club that doesn't get a big crowd regardless of weather and timeslots
Yet Perth have 1 game
Great timeslot
Only game all year
11k show up

But it's the NRL's fault for not letting people carry umbrellas?

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Manly v Warriors in a few weeks, England warm up game in October and a World Cup double header in November, bit more than 1 game this year. Another point to make is that this game that had basically zero money spent on it by the NRL got a larger crowd than GWS that is a premiership favourite and has had $200M pumped into it by the AFL, but we don't here them carrying on.

carcharias

Immortal
Do you think the NRL spends shit loads of money promoting games at Shark park or something?

Haha

They actually do the complete opposite .
They basically tell you to stay home and watch it on tv.
There is not one single thing I can't think of that they do to get people to go to a game in Sydney.
The clubs do it all....which is not much.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You talk up Perth like they'd get 20 k to every game if they had a team.

You bag out any club that doesn't get a big crowd regardless of weather and timeslots
Yet Perth have 1 game
Great timeslot
Only game all year
11k show up

But it's the NRL's fault for not letting people carry umbrellas?

Do I?
Do I?
No they don't
Not it wasn't
Not it isn't
More than the reigning premiers this round

Well it's not my fault lol

carcharias

Immortal
The different time zones allow us to potentially have more day games without affecting TV ratings.

The nonsense about away fans being unable to attend is just that, nonsense. The only people this affects are those from NSW (for everyone else it's already that difficult to attend basically any away games). For those in NSW you still get all you home games plus you can make the away games you play against other NSW teams. That's still a trim of games.

Judging by crowds at the moment f**k all away fans attend anyway.

As far as residents go there is a Good chance Sydney has a lot more fans from interstate teams than Perth would have.

Very good chance.

They barely show up.

Imagine a team in the most isolated city on Earth trying to get out of town fans to a game of footy.

At least the two heads in QLD follow the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If your club is reliant on way fans to get a decent crowd then you shouldn't be in the NRL. Fine if we are talking two sets of fans hitting crowds of 30-40k but if we are talking the difference between 10k or 12k fans at a game it is a total non issue, which is the actual reality. How many all Sydney games this year have had sub 15k crowds? That will tell you how valuable Sydney "tribalism" is.

carcharias

Immortal
If your club is reliant on way fans to get a decent crowd then you shouldn't be in the NRL. Fine if we are talking two sets of fans hitting crowds of 30-40k but if we are talking the difference between 10k or 12k fans at a game it is a total non issue, which is the actual reality. How many all Sydney games this year have had sub 15k crowds? That will tell you how valuable Sydney "tribalism" is.

Actually I wasn't.

I was just pointing out that Perth will have even less of a chance of getting away fans to games than Sydney teams.

And....I'm right.

He tried to say that no fans travel ...which I agree with
But
There is always going to be more fans of other teams living in Sydney than there would be in Perth or Townsville or Canberra etc

T-Boon

Coach
The way crowds have been going it is time to bring up the MAGIC WEEKEND again.

I would have had last weekends round linked up with the Super League Magic Weekend and had all the NRL games on the Gold Coast. I know you could choose a bigger venue, but 3 days worth of capacity crowds first year you could then sell the Magic Weekend to other cities (Newcastle, Brisbane, Melbourne etc) for a small fortune and split that fortune between the clubs.
The other reason the Gold Coast last weekend would be a good venue is that you could follow the games up with the announcement of the State of Origin Teams and make a big time occasion out of that at Jupiters with every NRL player in the game there (and also a lot of police haha).

Unlike these one off games with 10k coming, a magic weekend could be advertised through the roof as a massive event.

A magic weekend would also be one less game in Sydney for all these clubs. That has got to be good.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wait a second...how was the timeslot not good for Perth?!?

FFS.

Dockers playing at same time, sun sets just after 5pm and on a sht weather sunday like we got it meant the game finishing in cold dark conditions. Not the worse by any stretch but not the best either. If we ever get a team we will need to get used to that slot (though I'd suggest a 4pm KO is better) as that is our Tv value slot to add a 6pm east coast game time slot on a regular basis.
Like I said the time or the weather weren't the main factors in the drop off in attendance from the sell outs 21k we were getting, in nice weather it would have got around 15-16k which is still considerably less than a few years ago so what's changed that fans are giving up coming along? For me its the lack of commitment to expansion that's dulled my enthusiasm. Not sure what it is for the other 5-6k no shows.

carcharias

Immortal
Dockers playing at same time, sun sets just after 5pm and on a sht weather sunday like we got it meant the game finishing in cold dark conditions. Not the worse by any stretch but not the best either. If we ever get a team we will need to get used to that slot (though I'd suggest a 4pm KO is better) as that is our Tv value slot to add a 6pm east coast game time slot on a regular basis.
Like I said the time or the weather weren't the main factors in the drop off in attendance from the sell outs 21k we were getting, in nice weather it would have got around 15-16k which is still considerably less than a few years ago so what's changed that fans are giving up coming along? For me its the lack of commitment to expansion that's dulled my enthusiasm. Not sure what it is for the other 5-6k no shows.

Haha

f**k off

Try playing
Broncos cowboys then storm on a Thursday night at 8pm

Then you can have a whinge about scheduling.

Apologies, I thought you were 3 hours behind. 3.30/4pm kick off WA/ 6.30/7pm Sydney. So I take that back.

The weather - well now you know what it's like for us. I don't think I've attended a game without rain this year. Probably only the Souths vs Manly game at the SFS.

Going up against AFL isn't ideal. Surely if and when Perth get a team, the AFL draw usually being out first, the NRL can adapt the Pirates draw for no conflict. Knowing the AFL though, they'll suddenly have a Sunday night AFL game every week in Perth.